Enable game pad control?

edited 2010 Oct 30 in DOOM
I've got a Saitek Rumble Force dual-analog controller I want to use for Doomsday, but for some reason, I'm not able to get it to recognize it. Is there any way I can get it to play with this kind of game pad? Or is it just mouse and keyboard only?

Comments

• Have you enabled your joypad via the Doomsday control panel and configured the controls?
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Have you enabled your joypad via the Doomsday control panel and configured the controls?

For some reason, moving around doesn't want to work with my thing. I assigned the buttons to move up, down, left, and right on the d pad, but instead of doing so, it instead turns me around in place, so I'm pretty much stuck. I'm not sure how to fix this problem. Can anyone help me?

Also, how do I reset the controls to their default, in case I need to start over?
  • Go to the joystick options menu and you'll find more control options.

Also, open the console and enter:
    listvars ctl-

To get a list of the available control cvars. Type "help <cvarname>" to get further info, for example:
    help ctl-look-joy

To get help on the ctl-look-joy cvar.

To reset your controls open the console and enter:
    clearbindings;defaultbindings

Don't forget to try just "help" to get some general console help.
  • For some reason, moving around doesn't want to work with my thing. I assigned the buttons to move up, down, left, and right on the d pad, but instead of doing so, it instead turns me around in place, so I'm pretty much stuck. I'm not sure how to fix this problem. Can anyone help me?

Are you saying it's constantly like rotating in one direction and the D-pad isn't working, or are you saying that, when you try to use the D-pad, it will only turn, but it doesn't go forwards or backwards? I had the same problem once with the D-pad not recognizing properly on the same type of controller (a Saitek Rumble Force). It appears that what happened was that I had to hit the "digital" button. Not only that, but when it constantly turns for no reason, it's due to the stick for movement being SLIGHTLY off-center, and the analog deadzone being too tight. Basically, the slightest movement will cause it to go, and the potentiometer for a direction has a slight reading because it's slightly off-center.

I think that the L-Analog maps to Joy00-Joy03, the R-Analog maps to Joy04-Joy07, and the D-pad maps to Joy14-Joy17; at least it does on another program that I've used!
  • Psychikon wrote:
    For some reason, moving around doesn't want to work with my thing. I assigned the buttons to move up, down, left, and right on the d pad, but instead of doing so, it instead turns me around in place, so I'm pretty much stuck. I'm not sure how to fix this problem. Can anyone help me?

Are you saying it's constantly like rotating in one direction and the D-pad isn't working, or are you saying that, when you try to use the D-pad, it will only turn, but it doesn't go forwards or backwards? I had the same problem once with the D-pad not recognizing properly on the same type of controller (a Saitek Rumble Force). It appears that what happened was that I had to hit the "digital" button. Not only that, but when it constantly turns for no reason, it's due to the stick for movement being SLIGHTLY off-center, and the analog deadzone being too tight. Basically, the slightest movement will cause it to go, and the potentiometer for a direction has a slight reading because it's slightly off-center.

I think that the L-Analog maps to Joy00-Joy03, the R-Analog maps to Joy04-Joy07, and the D-pad maps to Joy14-Joy17; at least it does on another program that I've used!

Okay. is there a way I can make the character move with the left analog and look around with the right analog? For some reason, the right analog isn't being recognized by the program, no matter what.
  • Okay. is there a way I can make the character move with the left analog and look around with the right analog? For some reason, the right analog isn't being recognized by the program, no matter what.
    Hey, I've noticed that you've responded quickly, so let me actually go in and play around with it and I'll come back and tell you what I've found, ok?

EDIT:

OK! On the Saitek Rumble Force Pad (and I imagine other such dual-analog devices), the other Analog stick's axes are "w" and "z", as opposed to the "x" and "y" axes of the left analog stick.
    The left analog's "x" axis is what is bound to "turn" (with the modifier for strafing), so type in the console
    listbindings

and find the number in brackets that the binding for "turn" is which shows joy-x + modifier-1-up or whatever it says. Also, find the number under the "sidestep" control where it lists "joy-x + modifier-1-down". If they are reversed from what I said, that's ok
    Then go
    delbind #

where the # is that binding number for each binding you will delete.

OK, now to set the sidestep up for the left analog's x axis, type in the console
    bindcontrol "sidestep" "joy-x"

since you're using it strictly for sidestep without a modifier (like shift) input.
    For the "w" and "z" axes for the "look" and "turn" (which will be like mouselook), type this in the console:
    bindcontrol "turn" "joy-w"
    bindcontrol "look" "joy-z"

I am not yet sure how to bind the buttons themselves to various actions, but you could probably find out either through the console help or the deng wiki!
  • Psychikon wrote:
    Okay. is there a way I can make the character move with the left analog and look around with the right analog? For some reason, the right analog isn't being recognized by the program, no matter what.
    Hey, I've noticed that you've responded quickly, so let me actually go in and play around with it and I'll come back and tell you what I've found, ok?

EDIT:

OK! On the Saitek Rumble Force Pad (and I imagine other such dual-analog devices), the other Analog stick's axes are "w" and "z", as opposed to the "x" and "y" axes of the left analog stick.
    The left analog's "x" axis is what is bound to "turn" (with the modifier for strafing), so type in the console
    listbindings

and find the number in brackets that the binding for "turn" is which shows joy-x + modifier-1-up or whatever it says. Also, find the number under the "sidestep" control where it lists "joy-x + modifier-1-down". If they are reversed from what I said, that's ok
    Then go
    delbind #

where the # is that binding number for each binding you will delete.

OK, now to set the sidestep up for the left analog's x axis, type in the console
    bindcontrol "sidestep" "joy-x"

since you're using it strictly for sidestep without a modifier (like shift) input.
    For the "w" and "z" axes for the "look" and "turn" (which will be like mouselook), type this in the console:
    bindcontrol "turn" "joy-w"
    bindcontrol "look" "joy-z"

I am not yet sure how to bind the buttons themselves to various actions, but you could probably find out either through the console help or the deng wiki!

Hmm, well the Joypad option in the game's options has an option to set the x/y/z and rx/ry/rz axis to either turn, move, strafe, or look, but when I tried messing with them, they didn't work out, and now I can't move around at all in the direction I set them; I can only move around "properly" with the D-pad.
  • Hmm, well the Joypad option in the game's options has an option to set the x/y/z and rx/ry/rz axis to either turn, move, strafe, or look, but when I tried messing with them, they didn't work out, and now I can't move around at all in the direction I set them; I can only move around "properly" with the D-pad.

Are you using 1.8.6? I don't remember how it works there... In any case, in the SVN I'm using, you can set turning for instance to a direction on a joypad axis, and it will automatically update the other side in there. I only have problems setting movement to the POV/Hat-switch/D-pad, actually... Weird! It works for regular button presses, though...
  • Psychikon wrote:
    Hmm, well the Joypad option in the game's options has an option to set the x/y/z and rx/ry/rz axis to either turn, move, strafe, or look, but when I tried messing with them, they didn't work out, and now I can't move around at all in the direction I set them; I can only move around "properly" with the D-pad.

Are you using 1.8.6? I don't remember how it works there... In any case, in the SVN I'm using, you can set turning for instance to a direction on a joypad axis, and it will automatically update the other side in there. I only have problems setting movement to the POV/Hat-switch/D-pad, actually... Weird! It works for regular button presses, though...

Yes, I'm using 1.8.6. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with getting the joypad calibrated for the game.
  • I'm having similar difficulty. Except I figrued it out, theres an easier way... If you assign the controls from top to bottom on the controls menu it will assign the x-axis to the y-axis, and vice versa. If you do it from the bottom up, (starting with turn and then strafe) it will assign the buttons correctly no problem.

HOWEVER. There is a real annoying problem, I have an incredibly oversensitive dead-zone on the analogs. The slightest touch pushes you to move. On ZDoom there is an option to change the dead-zone value, is there any such feature found in the doomsday engine? A console command?

Thanks in advance!
  • Alphawolf wrote:
    HOWEVER. There is a real annoying problem, I have an incredibly oversensitive dead-zone on the analogs. The slightest touch pushes you to move. On ZDoom there is an option to change the dead-zone value, is there any such feature found in the doomsday engine? A console command?

Thanks in advance!

The four axes for the two analog inputs are W, X, Y, Z, as you can probably see from their listing in the controls list where you set them.

Open the console with the tilde (`) and type in for instance
    input-joy-x-deadzone

That will tell you the axis' deadzone; just do the same command, except for instance something like
    input-joy-x-deadzone #.##

#.## is the new number you want the deadzone to be, and you should be able to set your joy axes that way.
  • Try using Joy2Key with your gamepad.

I use a Dualshock 3 with Joy2Key. I simply configure the Joy2Key program to translate joypad sticks and buttons to keyboard keys which match the settings in Doomsday and I can play with the controller pad easily.

It's not native support, but it is a surefire to work.

Other programs such as Xpadder can also be used in the same way.
  • curryking1 wrote:
    Try using Joy2Key with your gamepad.

I use a Dualshock 3 with Joy2Key. I simply configure the Joy2Key program to translate joypad sticks and buttons to keyboard keys which match the settings in Doomsday and I can play with the controller pad easily.

It's not native support, but it is a surefire to work.

Other programs such as Xpadder can also be used in the same way.

Good idea, as I can imagine it might be able to simulate certain things I can't seem to get right, such as the HAT switch!