DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• Hallo. I play Doom on the Engine ver 1.8.6. аnd i use high resolution texture. Freezes appeared in the game in certain places of the game maps. Please help. Please make a patch....
  • Hi. You're unlikely to get a patch for a version that's so old. Try one of the later builds.

https://dengine.net/builds
  • I do think the DHTP project need to to have standards.
    Personally I've been working with these:

x4 resolution (nice compromise between speed and fidelity, blends nice with the x4 upscaled enemy sprites).
    same brightness range,
    same colours,
    same saturation,
    same contrast,
    aim to stay close to the original intent and art style.
  • DHTP was born out of a mess of a hires pack and has come far for consistency. DHTP already has most of those aims except constant resolution. I'm waiting for doomsday to support bump maps and such before continuing on with the DHTP(most likely would start afresh with a DHTP2)
  • edited 2021 Jul 30
    Hi! I would like to share some textures that I have created for myself. These are based on and intended to complement DHTP Alterations, which is, at my opinion, is a bit more consistent. So consistency was my objective while making these. All textures are based on the community work. The pack also contains couple of adapted textures by Hoover1979. See about.txt.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vjJmwnip08jRzYaCbYepdC8-n3jVbE5g/view?usp=sharing

Preview (comp2):
    2l9hzocnh8il.png
  • My take on compute1:

bclnkg5gx7kh.png
  • m_tec for TNT

Original:
    4srsnk9mvsam.png

Old:
    6kkm9chp5phy.png

New:
    dbh1gl04vpio.png
  • very nice work... :)
  • 0815Jack wrote: »
    very nice work... :)
    Thank you!
  • brick1:
    o9fo7bm2gfzm.png

brick2:
    pjrrsf34xrck.png

bricklit:
    68bvccm1nwae.png

brwindow:
    w8geovap3rbq.png
  • pretty good, feel free to clone the dhtp push your changes to it, and then you can request a pull to the dhtp
  • KuriKai wrote: »
    pretty good, feel free to clone the dhtp push your changes to it, and then you can request a pull to the dhtp

Thank you! Don't know how to do all of that, though. Is there any step-by-step guidance that I can refer to?
  • Nice looking indeed, but why creating hi-res textures when the latest version is 20171001 on the DHTP homepage? We are talking about 4 years without any update for the Doomsday Engine! I know there is a way to update manually, but an updated installation file would be very much appreciated!
  • Hi warezeater,
    warezeater wrote: »
    KuriKai wrote: »
    pretty good, feel free to clone the dhtp push your changes to it, and then you can request a pull to the dhtp

Thank you! Don't know how to do all of that, though. Is there any step-by-step guidance that I can refer to?

maybe this helps you https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/GitHub-Contributing-to-a-Project
  • Meanwhile, some new content. A-tile from Plutonia.

Original:
    fu7ur05ytlxp.png

New:
    4r5dpg61ekpm.png
  • nice.... but I would add some light green to the algae / moss so that it looks more vivid....
  • 0815Jack wrote: »
    nice.... but I would add some light green to the algae / moss so that it looks more vivid....
    Thanks and feel free to do so!
  • rrock16 (from neuro upscaled pack):
    gtaxn5n8p5bj.png

rrock16 (my attempt):
    oc8ptge959en.png

zimmer5 (from neuro upscaled pack; looks like some muddy roots/vines):
    ufamvbsr1if0.png

zimmer5 (my attempt):
    twr90we0nry0.png

zimmer7 (from neuro upscaled pack; looks more like a green mud):
    xagx6cfudxfr.png

zimmer7 (my attempt; I decided to keep roots/vines look, since the texture is used to represent these):
    a2hcjy1dgaat.png

And in-game sreenshots. Plutonia with vanilla textures (ignore hud weapon):
    keuayclwybke.png

My new textures:
    kddi1lfkzwbg.png
  • edited 2021 Oct 3
    zimmer8 (from neuro upscaled pack):
    fna69xv0yhwe.png

zimmer8 (my attempt):
    k1jdbxbq4f9g.png
  • stonew1 (from neuro upscaled pack):
    e7a861wbs24j.png

stonew1 (my attempt):
    jt03vd6bhhfn.png

• The main problem with your textures is that you're trying to turn larger structures into smaller, finer structures; but you shouldn't do that; the thicker larger structures should remain thicker larger structures, it needs more detail added.

Your moss-covered brick for example; all the bricks are covered by tiny fine points and remain inside the bricks confines, when in the original the moss is far courser and there are much brighter whole plucks of grass on the stone that hangs over another brick.

The overgrown wooden wall/floor in the original is several very thick branches with smaller branches in between; yours is only twigs.

And the final wall; yours is a (small) brick wall with sand/mortar in between, the original is a megalithic style wall with huge massive blocks; the blocks are cut to fit perfect and pushed together, with no mortar or sand in between; fundamentally different things.
  • 3DMaster, thank you the constructive and comprehensive feedback!

• A-tile from DHTP Alterations:
    6fpraxvjw3lk.png

By the way, the said pack is good and resolves some textures inconsistency issues inherent to the original DHTP. I suggest those interested taking a look at it: https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=dhtp_alterations.pk3

Merging it with the main project would also make sense, I believe.
  • edited 2021 Nov 9
    Here's a complete set of Star textures:
    o9g7sjar0p11.png
    umi8j63fxio8.png
    zqkzhgaa9v5l.png
    qs20h6mj2xfc.png
    wkqviwjfhftn.png
    eiwa9o2qcx9h.png
    tzsq6yj64zml.png
    gcouay7no5yi.png
    061l7jt2qs1j.png

Almost forgot about the switches:

cwsyku2klol1.png
    5bab17m2wo1i.png

• KuriKai wrote: »
    DHTP was born out of a mess of a hires pack and has come far for consistency. DHTP already has most of those aims except constant resolution. I'm waiting for doomsday to support bump maps and such before continuing on with the DHTP(most likely would start afresh with a DHTP2)

KuriKai, I made a batch file for windows user to create the pk3 package, can I send it to you?

Also, I made some discoveries like this:
    from your script:
    cp -r $base_path/flats/* $base_path/zdoom/filter/doom/hires
    you copy the flats to the doom common folder but there are 5 files with thae same name as textures
    gcvq9s8wq0q8.png

this creates some error as example Doom2 map 11
    Elevator on the secret, near the stairs to get the blue key
    49cc21v1pmn5.png
    near the exit on the elevator to open the exit
    ioe07ae2l82y.png

Is there any way of fixing this?

• you can open a pull request, or stick it in a bug report
  • @KuriKai

So, what is the vision of the DHTP future?
  • waiting on engine changes
  • edited 2022 Aug 19
    KuriKai wrote: »
    waiting on engine changes
    Are they coming at all? Do the engine devs even know that those are being expected?