A private "public" server

Hello,
Apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere, (or this is in the wrong section); I tried searching but could not find an answer at all.

Is it possible to use the Doomsday shell to create a "public" server, (one that is advertised on the internet), but to make it 'private' somehow so that only friends can play?

That could possibly be accomplished by needing a password to join the game say.

I tried to limit the number of players in an effort to stop strangers entering the game but that did not seem to work - at least 2 people joined within minutes of starting.

If possible I don't want to go down the route of private VPNs, (like Hamachi say) since the other people are really not very technical.

Anyhow thanks in advance and if anything is unclear please do come back to me,
cheers
Gary

Comments

• https://manual.dengine.net/multiplayer/running_a_server

server-name = "Example's deathmatch game"
    server-password = ""
  • Hi Makaki,
    Thanks for that but isn't that password for administering the server - not for joining the game?
    So in other words it won't help keep unwanted guests from joining the game?
    cheers
    Gary
  • Ah - an update to above -
    I've worked out I was not setting the player limit correctly and now I've got that sorted I can have a public server limited to the number of my friends that wants to play.

As soon as the player limit is reached the "Join" button on the server browser is deactivated and no one else can join (marvelous)

For info - when you've got your server running via the Doomsday Shell go to the console tab and type

server-player-limit 3

if there are 3 of you who want to play. Replace '3' with your number of choice of course.

Hope that helps,
    cheers
    Gary
  • GeeDeeBee wrote: »
    Hi Makaki,
    Thanks for that but isn't that password for administering the server - not for joining the game?
    So in other words it won't help keep unwanted guests from joining the game?
    cheers
    Gary

I guess the password is for the admin.

On second look, I didn't find any other password option. IDK if there is such option at all.

So what you've settled for is a good approach, the other approach is to not have it report to the listing (public) and players would have to know the ip and connect by typing it. Which is not what you are looking for.

You can use the server's name or info to indicate to players that the server is meant to be private. That should deter them from joining. If they do join, you can ask them nicely to leave, or ultimately kick them. Eventually your player slots should fill up, and it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Yeah the server password is only for the admin (Shell connections).

There is another cvar in addition to limiting the number of players: "server-allowjoin". Once your players are in, you can set it zero to prevent others from joining.
  • edited 2020 Apr 29
    Makaki, skyjake - thanks for those comments, I do appreciate the feedback. I can use both those comments too in addition the player limit.
    Thanks again and happy dengine'ing
    cheers
    Gary