DHMP (DOOM High-res Model Project)

Comments

• I have to say, the Cacodemon model is great, however, on the dead Cacodemon making the bottom completely even red because you would never see under it as it is on the ground... is a tiny miscalculation:

9zgtec39unnd.jpg
  • Hi,

Just been checking out some of the videos so far and I must say these models are looking really nice you guys!

Keep up the awesome work!

Cheers

• any progress updates on the spider mastermind or cyberdemon?
  • I have run into issues making the explosions for them. I guess particles is the way but the particle system is still the old system, so i'm waiting for the new renderer particles system
  • Great! Good to hear still progressing, really a fun time these models are super high rez and really well done. Thanks for the updates, I enjoy this as much as the new Doom!
  • edited 2018 Oct 21
    Hey guys,

several of your nice models throw texture load errors in Doomsday, due to referencing non-existent textures in the .fbx file. For example the Big Tree:

8qbr4mqib5i8.png

Can you please fix these issues? I made several attempts on my own by editing the pack content, renaming the textures, loading the .fbx file into Blender, all to no avail. Thank you.
  • I took a quick look at the bigtree model. It doesn't actually appear to use "doomtree01_d.png", for instance, so this may be a case of Doomsday trying to load the FBX model's textures even though they are not needed for rendering.

I'll see if I can defer this warning to the point where the texture is actually needed, rather than when the model is being loaded.

Would be nice if the FBX didn't refer to non-existent textures, though...
  • @KuriKai You should check the material definitions. For example in bigtree.pack, you are defining a material variant "material_wood", but the default material exists always and will use the textures defined in the FBX since you haven't customized them in the .dei.

Doomsday can't know that you'll never use the default material, thus it tries to load the textures for that, too. (Materials can be changed dynamically via scripts, for example.)

For reference: https://manual.dengine.net/assets/model#variants
  • edited 2018 Oct 22
    Yeah, I need to go through all the models and clean up them before exporting them.
    We are learning as we go.

I'll get onto that.

@deus-ex
    https://mega.nz/#!JpATVQyC!YKXpskOrStv1AGnpXyDgbY0fwgZ-z83K4GpTk_dEUJY
    is this better? add the .fbx and the info.dei to the pack
  • @KuriKai

Yes, thank you, all texture errors of the Big Tree model are gone now.
    Unfortunately it triggers a new error:

y5fuq9l9jz3u.png

Do you have a different version of the Big Tree model available that does include some animation frames? If not, the issue should be easy to fix by simply removing the animation definition from line 35 to 44 in the file info.dei, right?
  • edited 2018 Oct 22
    @deus-ex
    does this fix the animation warnings?
    https://mega.nz/#!cwY3VQ6R!AWI9mFnlIhHh3nCIvc8aSU1hmXlDJ83N6XGe2aeRswA

I can't see warnings for this version on mine
  • Yes, no more error messages for the Big Tree model. I can't see any animation of the the Big Tree model in game, for example in Doom Ultimate Map E3M1, are we supposed to see anything moving?
  • edited 2018 Oct 22
    @deus-ex

the issue was the animation frame was at frame 1 not frame 0

nah, no moving animation, though it could be added in the future.

it has a wait animation, it's to keep the scale of the model. if there is no bones/animation then the scale is different for some reason.

I updated the model to use the current naming scheme that i'm using for the model/dei reference, in hopes that it will make it easier for people to understand how to create the models and dei. you will find "arm_*|<action>, mesh_, material_ render_"

if you download the src from github, you can check out the .blend files also
  • Alright, thanks again.

I just re-checked the DHMP, 7 out of 21 models remain which currently throw error messages:

1. Box of Rockets
    btnbzebb7vp3.png

2. Berserk (the model and its files have the name spelled wrong as "Beserker")
    p5dcmdwt6jcc.png

3. Rocket Launcher
    m6siholvv8lm.png

4. Medi Kit
    b8o9i7dnu19z.png

5. Stim Pack
    14khbwic1z3s.png

6. Torch Tree
    5lr4lnsfvuh8.png

7. Pillar (the error list spans over several screens)
    qb9mwfoxzhdt.png
  • I have pushed the fixed bigtree and pillars to github, once all of them are fixed i'll build a new set of packs
  • I can confirm that the fixed Pillar model does not throw errors anymore.

Btw, the model pack for the "Candelabra" has the name spelled wrong as "Candlebra".
  • edited 2018 Oct 24
    I just tested the recent DHMP updates on GitHub and I found two severe issues:

01. Stim Pack

The Stim Pack still triggers the same error messages:

qwufp4wht3hn.png

02. Candelabra

Testing the Candelabra model was quite "fun", as it is causing a segmentation violation that crashes Doomsday. After the crash, when relaunching Doomsday and starting any DOOM game, I could not make any input to the game via keyboard or mouse. No access to the main menu, no console, no way to normally shut down, so I had to terminate DOOM with Ctrl-F4. I tried clearing Doomsdays cache folder, deleting the file persist.pack, yet the DOOM games would not receive any keyboard or mouse input.

After several unsuccessful attempts I found out the reason. Due to the segmentation violation crash, the keyboard and mouse bindings for DOOM got almost completely deleted! Fortunately I have made back ups of these files, so I could restore the bindings configuration.

I repeated the crash with Doomsday and the Candelabra model a couple times and could verify, that the loss of the user bindings happens every time. It is quite frightening to see how easy Doomsday can be knocked out and left in such a state. Any normal user would not be able to figure out the related issues and how to restore Doomsday back to a normal functional state.

7uf6nm4yziy7.png

The root cause for the Candelabra issue is the reference of a non-existing .fbx model at line 14 in the file info.dei. Instead of ' path = "candlebra.fbx" ' it must read ' path = "candelabra.fbx" '.

Btw, you probably missed my previous hint that the model "Beserker" is misspelled, it should read "Berserk".

@skyjake

The damage caused by such events can be lessened by creating auto-backups of the vital configuration files. And perhaps adding a dialog to the launcher that allows to restore user settings from such back up files would ease the task for casual users.
  • deus-ex wrote: »
    The damage caused by such events can be lessen by creating auto-backups of the vital configuration files. And perhaps adding a dialog to the launcher that allows to restore user settings from such back up files would ease the task for casual users.
    I will investigate. At least the game cvars are auto-saved after each change, but I'm not sure if the bindings are treated as safely. I have noticed that my bindings have disappeared once or twice over the past months during development that involves errors/crashes.
  • @skyjake

would you be able to tell me why this model crashes when it attacks?
    I'm currently stumped

https://mega.nz/#!xhQhjYIA!z5vargpQa4dlV0Tm33uNDTa28nwQHdGS9WRvHQ1RAiw
  • pushed updated models and dei, just need to get the cacodemon working again before releasing an updated pack
  • with the caco i switch the attack dei config to the pain animation, and nothign crashes, i'm going to try create a new attack + aim animation.
  • KuriKai wrote: »
    would you be able to tell me why this model crashes when it attacks?
    I'm currently stumped
    At least Assimp is giving an assertion failure when loading the FBX. There's something invalid about the mesh data; the error is about some mesh vertices not having any output vertices (?). Don't know if that helps you...

BTW, if you want to try another model format, here is the list of 3D file formats that are currently enabled for loading: 3DS COLLADA IRRMESH IRR MD2 MD3 MD5 MDL OBJ BLEND FBX SIB GLTF 3MF
  • edited 2018 Oct 26
    @skyjake
    model seems to import fine in blender

the issue doesn't seem to be with the attack animation at all it turns out.

When i changed the animation sequence in the dei from "arm_caco|walk_2" to "@8&quot; (there are nine animations that start at 0)
    I get the error
    Application terminated due to exception:
    Uncaught exception during loop iteration:
    [InvalidError] (in ModelDrawable::Animator::start) Invalid animation ID 8

But the error when the animation sequence uses the action name "arm_caco|walk_2
    Application terminated due to exception:
    Uncaught exception during loop iteration:
    [InvalidError] (in ModelDrawable::Animator::start) Invalid animation ID -1

Is it possible to get a nicer error message when using action names instead of action @N?

[edit] Is it also possible to get an error message when the mesh chosen in the dei can't be found in the model? e.g. dei has "mesh_rocket", but the fbx got exported as "mesh_rocket.001", as doomsday currently crashes with no explanation [/edit]

I still have to look into why the walk_2 animation is crashing doomsday, it happened once with walk_1 but i can't reproduce it. maybe something goes wrong when the animation goes from the attack animation to the walk animation

I can supply you with the pack/example if you need
  • I'll make sure these animation errors get caught and reported appropriately without killing the engine.

I'll also add a nicer error when using the wrong animation/mesh name.
  • Thanks skyjake

I have released a new version(20181027) with all the fixes. Including a fixed cacodemon attack animation. For those grabbing the source, you should be able to understand how the Dei file calls the different parts of the model now.

Download here
    https://github.com/KuriKai/dhmp/wiki
  • thx for the new release and fixing all the issues :)
  • edited 2018 Oct 26
    0815Jack wrote: »
    thx for the new release and fixing all the issues :)
    You are welcome. A little thank you goes a long way.
  • More/better 3D model error reporting upcoming in the next build.
  • Very close to release
    trmc5h5k1bsz.png