Very odd glitch

So I'm playing Doom 2 with various addons installed and suddenly the game gets really, really choppy, and the framerate drops to nothing. This has never happened before in Doomsday. So I save and quit the game, and decide to disable all addon packs and just run the game through Doomsday in it's 'unmodded' state.

So after disabling all addons, I reload my save, but then I get an error message telling me that the 'savegame requires the following addons to load'.

So, apparently, if you disable any addons, your save game cannot be loaded - is that right?

I tried re-enabling all the addons, but I still got the message, even though all the addons it told me I had to enable were actually enabled.

In the end, after trying everything I could think of I just gave up and restarted the game, and just used warp to take me to the level I was at before the problem began.

So is this a known issue, or have I discovered something new and strange?

I'm using v2464, which I'm given to understand is the most stable version right now.

Comments

• So, apparently, if you disable any addons, your save game cannot be loaded - is that right?
    Yeah, that's kind of a failsafe feature to prevent savegame corruption due to missing or modified addons. You can always add more addons, but once you save your game, the current state of loaded addons is the minimum requirement to continue with that savegame.

However, there's an undocumented fall back feature that allows to load savegames even with missing addons. When Doomsday shows the "Incompatible Addons" prompt upon trying to load a savegame with missing addons, hold down the left [ALT] key. This changes the "Load Mods" button label to "Ignore and Continue" and enables you to do just that.

Hold down [ALT] key to load savegame with missing addons:
    vhho78R.jpg

• Excellent, that's a really useful thing to know. Thanks very much indeed (helpful as always).
  • I wonder why such a feature is hidden behind the alt key?
  • Vermil wrote: »
    I wonder why such a feature is hidden behind the alt key?
    Doomsday may crash if the savegame expects certain add-ons to be loaded but they aren't.
  • I tried re-enabling all the addons, but I still got the message, even though all the addons it told me I had to enable were actually enabled.
    This sounds like a bug. Did you manually load the needed add-ons (the loading order is also important!) or did you let Doomsday load them for you via the Incompatible Add-ons dialog?
  • edited 2018 Sep 25
    As far as I recall I tried three things Skyjake.

First of all I tried to load them all at once via the Incompatible Add-ons dialog, by (I think) clicking some kind of 'load all' button (forgive me, but I'm not at my PC right now, and am relying upon memory)

This gave me the hour glass and Doomsday seemed to freeze. I left it for maybe five minutes but ultimately I just shut it down in task manager, as it was clear that it had stalled.

Second thing I tried, as far as I remember, was to load them individually via the Incompatible Add-ons dialog. This worked, but the game still gave me the 'missing add-on' message.

Finally I tried adding them all in the conventional way by clicking the Packages icon and adding them all that way, just as I did when first setting up the games on Doomsday. The addons all loaded fine, and starting a new game worked perfectly, with all add-ons in place. But attempting to load the save game just gave me the 'missing add-ons' message.

Of course it's very possible that this isn't a bug, and I just did something wrong due to either unfamiliarity or incompetence.

The other thing is now that I know that they had to be loaded in the correct order, it's highly likely that I did not do this, and loaded them in a different order.
  • skyjake wrote: »
    Did you manually load the needed add-ons (the loading order is also important!)...
    If the savegame load process can fail because the load order of the addons has changed, then this definitely should be made visible to the user in the addon interface and error dialog, and the load order should be amendable in these dialogs, too.

Preferably the load order slots are represented by a 2-digit display in front of each addon, and the load order is amendable via drag&drop and keyboard shortcuts (e.g. CTRL+SHFT+CURSOR-UP/DOWN).

• The hint with ALT just saved my Hexen Savegame, which wont work after moving the path of my AddOns to another HDD.
    This should not be an hidden function, but good thing it exists.
  • edited 2018 Sep 30
    To be more accurate, when it comes to the load order, it is only meaningful if the add-ons happen to provide partially or completely overlapping resources. Currently there is no way for Doomsday to check for this situation, though.

I agree the load order should be more explicit in the UI.

Instead of hiding the override behind Alt, I can make it a regular check box in the dialog that warns you about a possible crash if enabled.