Mouse movement doesn't feel quite right

When I move the mouse, it feels like there's some kind of smoothing being applied to it. I don't quite know how to describe it, but it doesn't feel as smooth and precise as GZDoom's mouse control.

Any possible solution?

Comments

• edited 2018 Jul 18
    There is indeed filtering applied to mouse input by default (two different kinds of filtering, in fact).

When you have a game up and running, press Shift-Esc to bring up the Doomsday menu bar and go to ⚙ > Input. Disable the "Filter X Axis" and "Filter Y Axis" toggles to get rid of mouse motion averaging.

If you also open the "gauge" popup (next to "Reset to Defaults") that contains additional/advanced settings, you can disable the "Vanilla 35 Hz Input Rate". This will cause mouse events to be handled as soon as possible instead of on the next 35 Hz input tick. The feel of the controls will no longer match the original Doom, however.

The reason why this option exists is that the original Doom was capped at 35 FPS, so the behavior of input controls also had that frequency. Doomsday can run at unlimited frame rates, but to remain compatible with the original game, it interpolates between 35 Hz frames when refresh is quicker than that.
  • edited 2018 Jul 27
    Thank you. The mouse movement feels much better and less floaty now.

However, I've discovered a new problem. Some triggers in custom maps are broken. In Alien Vendetta map 7, I can't finish the level because the barrier that's supposed to move out of the way when all the enemies are killed stays in place even after everyone's dead. In Maps of Chaos (a remix of classic Doom maps), in E1M4 of Ultimate Doom, a switch that's supposed to lower a barrier at the start of the level doesn't work, so you're stuck unless you noclip past it.

I tried turning on the option to use exactly Doom's clipping code to no avail. I'm still stuck. I also looked through the list of available console commands and couldn't find anything that would help my predicament.
  • Quadsword wrote: »
    Some triggers in custom maps are broken.
    Do you know if these custom maps have been authored to work in vanilla Doom, or do they require Boom or maybe even ZDoom features? Currently Doomsday only works correctly with custom maps meant for vanilla Doom.
  • Darn, I was afraid of that. But I appreciate the responses nonetheless. I'll just fire up GLBoom+ when I want to play custom maps.
  • edited 2018 Jul 27
    skyjake wrote: »
    Do you know if these custom maps have been authored to work in vanilla Doom, or do they require Boom or maybe even ZDoom features?
    Quote from the Alien Vendetta manual:
    [1.3 Compatibility]

AV does not require any port to run. It was constructed with vanilla Doom2
    v1.9 exe in mind.

I can confirm that the barrier blocking the exit in Alien Vendetta MAP07 does not lower in Doomsday (tested with unstable build 2686), which it is supposed to after activating two switches found in the level. Judging by the visual and audio feedback the two switches operate, but apparently the related script for the barrier does not.

I also rechecked this level with GZDOOM v3.4.1, there the barrier is lowered after activating the two switches as it's supposed to.

Alien Vendetta can be acquired here.
  • edited 2018 Jul 28
    deus-ex wrote: »
    skyjake wrote: »
    Do you know if these custom maps have been authored to work in vanilla Doom, or do they require Boom or maybe even ZDoom features?
    Quote from the Alien Vendetta manual:
    [1.3 Compatibility]

AV does not require any port to run. It was constructed with vanilla Doom2
    v1.9 exe in mind.

I can confirm that the barrier blocking the exit in Alien Vendetta MAP07 does not lower in Doomsday (tested with unstable build 2686), which it is supposed to after activating two switches found in the level. Judging by the visual and audio feedback the two switches operate, but apparently the related script for the barrier does not.

I also rechecked this level with GZDOOM v3.4.1, there the barrier is lowered after activating the two switches as it's supposed to.

Alien Vendetta can be acquired here.

A few things to add onto this.

The barrier is also stuck in GLBoom+; however, you can pass -complevel 2 as an argument when launching to enable 1.9 compatibility and the barrier will function as intended.

I also ran the level with Chocolate Doom. Barrier functions exactly as it should.

UPDATE:
    Did some more testing. Running Maps of Chaos E1M4 on GLBoom+, the barrier at the start of the level functions so long as the program isn't running in 1.9 compatibility (i.e. you don't pass -complevel 2 as an argument).
  • Boom changed some of Vanilla Doom's behaviour.

Dday is currently in the very early stages of adding Boom support; it is possible that Dday inadvertently made a change to support Boom, but didn't add a compatibility option for vanilla mods that rely exactly on the vanilla behaviour.
  • Sounds like this is the problem: https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/1552

This needs a closer look, to be sure.