Launching Issue (Linux) [no OpenGL HW support]

edited 2017 Jun 26 in Technical Support

I installed Doomsday using the Synaptic Package Manager, but when I attempt to run it from the Games tab it doesn't do anything. As an alternative I tried using the console, simply typing "doomseeker" or "doomseeker engine" in which the response would be "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" even when I extended it with "-iwad doom". Any help?

Comments

• command is "doomsday -game doom1/doom2/... -iwad LINK_TO_IWAD"
  • It would be helpful to see the doomsday.out log.

One common source of problems is OpenGL drivers. Can you share some details about your GPU and its drivers?
  • edited 2017 May 1
    Sadly I have no idea how to find GPU information. Neither through BIOS, or installed software applications. However, I was able to retrieve my computer, display, and OpenGL details with "System Profiler and Benchmark".

(Computer)
    Processor: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz
    Memory: 3840MB (564MB used)
    Operating System: Ubuntu 17.04

(Display)
    Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
    OpenGL Renderer: Unknown
    X11 Vendor: The X.Org Foundation

(OpenGL)
    Vendor: Unknown
    Renderer: Unknown
    Version: Unknown
    Direct Rendering: No

Also; I'm missing the ".doomsday" folder.
  • Based on that information I believe your computer uses an integrated Intel graphics GPU, and it appears it doesn't have hardware accelerated drivers installed.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Linux to give much further advice, but I suggest you look into what OpenGL drivers are available for Intel graphics on Linux.
  • Just my 2 cents, but you could try something like "glxinfo | grep version" in your terminal and look for a line such as "OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 17.1.2". If you don't have that installed, it should be part of mesa-progs (though the package name might be different in Ubuntu).