Doom & Doom II addon Package not loading.

Good day,

Congrats on the new engine, it looks damn nice.

Please assist with a little issue that I have experienced. I am only able to play without the add-ons, and want to find a solution to enable them again.

Problem: I am experiencing a problem when trying to load the add-ons in the new sexy grand spanking new version of Doomsday Engine. These add-ons were downloaded from the official web page "http://dengine.net/addons". I receive an error when selecting the packages mentioned below. The error is "Missing Packages" in yellow, then I cannot launch Doom and Doom II after that error. To launch the game I must deselect the packages and then I can launch the game. They all worked fine with the older D-engine. Only the "Sky" add-ons work. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just something on your end which needs to be updated?

Doomsday Engine Version: 2.0 Stable Release
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit

PACKAGES GIVING AN ERROR:
TEXTURES:
DOOM High-Resolution Texture Project (High-resolution textures for all versions of DOOM.)
SOUND:
DOOM High-Quality Sound Pack (Compiled by Per Kristian Risvik.)
MUSIC:
DOOM Classic Music (The original DOOM midis recorded on a genuine Roland Sound Canvas SC-155.)
Sycraft Remixes (DOOM, DOOMII and Final DOOM music remixed by Sycraft.)
DOOM2 Classic Music (The original DOOM2 midis recorded on a genuine Roland Sound Canvas SC-155.)

PACKAGES WHICH WORK FINE:
All skyboxes 1-3 For Doom and 1-4 for Doom II

PS. I can also not get TNT and Evilution to show their icons on the main page and they also won't find their own IWADS, it also says missing data files, even though I selected their respective directories where the TNT.WAD etc. are. So I can't run these either.

After these bugs I didn't even want to try Heretic and Hexen.

Comments

• It would help diagnose the problem if you attach your doomsday.out log file. (Please use pastebin.com or zip the log file.)
    PS. I can also not get TNT and Evilution to show their icons on the main page and they also won't find their own IWADS, it also says missing data files, even though I selected their respective directories where the TNT.WAD etc. are.
    Could you check which version of TNT.WAD you have? This page has the file sizes to help identify the file: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/TNT.WAD

Doomsday may not recognize all variants of the IWADs without me updating the identification rules.
  • edited 2017 Apr 13
    It's probably the GOG version. I have the same version and it's not working either.

Apologies, this has been fixed. Didn't realise how much time passed since I last tried. :p
  • I will attach the zip and a text file with the file versions.

I do not know how to check the CRC-32 MD5 SHA-1 for my files as mentioned in your reply "https://doomwiki.org/wiki/TNT.WAD".

Wolfpuncher, can you kindly post a link on this thread, clarifying a little bit on your hint or tip that it has been fixed? I would appreciate the help, thanks.

skyjake, here is what I found. The below is what you were looking for.

The file sizes are all true file sizes (Data only), and not "Size On Disk" sizes.

Game: Doom SE - Special Edition a.k.a. (Ultimate Doom 1995)
    File: DOOM.WAD
    Size: 11,8 MB (12 408 292 bytes)

Game: Doom II - Hell on Earth (1994)
    File: DOOM2.WAD
    Size: 13,9 MB (14 604 584 bytes)

Game: Doom II - Plutonia (Final Doom)
    File: PLUTONIA.WAD
    Size: 17,3 MB (18 240 172 bytes)

Game: Doom II - TNT (Final Doom)
    File: TNT.WAD
    Size: 17,7 MB (18 654 796 bytes)

Game: Heretic - Shadow of the Serpent Riders
    VERSION: 1.3
    File: HERETIC.WAD
    Size: 13,5 MB (14 189 976 bytes)

Game: Hexen - Beyond Heretic
    VERSION: 1.1
    File: HEXEN.WAD
    Size: 19,1 MB (20 083 672 bytes)

Game: Hexen - Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
    VERSION: 1.1
    File: HEXDD.WAD
    Size: 4,23 MB (4 440 584 bytes)

• Oh, and by the way, my Heretic and Hexen games gives the same errors.
  • Wolfpuncher, can you kindly post a link on this thread, clarifying a little bit on your hint or tip that it has been fixed? I would appreciate the help, thanks.
    The GOG versions of TNT and Plutonia, which you have, are not recognized correctly in the 2.0 release. This is a bug and will be fixed in 2.0.1. It has already been fixed in the 2.1 unstable builds.
    Oh, and by the way, my Heretic and Hexen games gives the same errors.
    This would be the "Missing Packages" error?

I'm not sure what might be going wrong at your end, but I'll do some testing in Windows and see if something comes up. One thing that could help us is if you increase your log verbosity level and let's see if any more information comes up in doomsday.out. (See the Log options menu for details.)
  • All riiighty then, I will increase the verbosity and reattach a more detailed log file on my next post, to assist you in assisting me.

Thanks for advising me that the newer build sorted out TNT and Plutonia, I will grab that build.

And yes, I meant that Heretic and Hexen gave the same errors about missing data files in yellow, below the name of the game on the main home screen.

I will attache the log file below.

Uhmm, an hour later... and I cannot find my games on the main menu. All the games are gone, and Doomsday forgot the package folder nad the IWAD folders... Something is seriously wrong.

Sorry, I am going to download the latest unstable build, delete my old log/config files, keep my saved games, reinstall it and try to attach you the updated verbose log files.
  • edited 2017 May 9
    Hi there, joining in:
    have the exact same problem as described by PeterSteeleDoom, on win 7 64 bit, with build 2.0.1 Stable [#2311]: iwads previously detected disappear, packages cannot be detected ( error message: Selected package missing...)
  • jhibgp wrote: »
    Hi there, joining in:
    have the exact same problem as described by PeterSteeleDoom, on win 7 64 bit, with build 2.0.1 Stable [#2311]: iwads previously detected disappear, packages cannot be detected ( error message: Selected package missing...)

Have you tried clearing your resource cache (via the DE menu) and restarting Doomsday? That will force a recheck of all your data files.

Have you also double-checked that the correct folders are configured for your data files?
  • @skyjake

thanks for yr reply!
    indeed, cleared the cache a few times, installed and re-installed the software, but unfo same error continues to occur.
    does it matter where the packages are saved?
    at least the folder containing the IWADs gets recognized every time now...
  • jhibgp wrote: »
    does it matter where the packages are saved?
    at least the folder containing the IWADs gets recognized every time now...
    It shouldn't matter where they are saved. Could you attach your doomsday.out log file, maybe there's some error messages there that would hint at potential problems?

(See the Files section in the Readme for details about where to find doomsday.out.)
  • there you go (by the way, now using the latest build, 2.1 Unstable [#2323])
  • Looking at the log, it appears you have one WAD folder in use: "C:\Users\User\Downloads\Hexen and Heretic Wads\Wads"

I assume that's where you loaded the WADs for Hexen and Deathkings, which were loaded in the log.

According to the log, you haven't specified any additional folders where Doomsday would load WAD files, resource packs, or other add-ons. Where do you keep the files on your computer?

Have you installed any Doom-based games via Steam?
  • thanks for yr prompt reply! no, i dont have any Doom-based games on Steam, only from Gog.
    Attached is the current doomsday.out log, the previous had indeed no info on packages, since i deleted the path (and cleared the cache) because the packages were not loading anyway (error message: Selected package missing, regardless which one i tried).
    by the way, same packages were working on the last stable version, before 2.0.1 was released.
  • Using user-selected WAD folder: C:\Users\User\Downloads\Hexen and Heretic Wads\Wads
    Using user-selected package folder (including subfolders): C:\Users\User\Downloads\Hexen and Heretic
    Wads\Wads\Packages

Given that your chosen package folder is actually a subfolder of your WAD folder, what if you don't set a WAD folder at all and just use "C:\Users\User\Downloads\Hexen and Heretic Wads\Wads" as your packages folder (since it includes all the subfolders anyway). IWAD files will be found from the package folders, too.

There may currently be a bug regarding this case where package folders are subfolders of WAD folders, or vice versa. I'll have to take a closer look.

Also, I'm planning to streamline the data folders setup so that you'll only have a single list of folders to specify.

BTW, in your game profiles that say "Selected packages missing", if you go to the profile edit dialog and look through the packages list, are the packages still listed on the right side package browser? It may be that due to metadata changes (due to recent bug fixes), Doomsday sees the data files with different identifiers and thus thinks the ones selected in the profiles are not actually available any more. If this is the problem, you can simply unselect the "broken" selections and reselect the correct files from the list.
  • i did as you suggested (and cleared the cache every time i changed folder paths, subfolders or anything)- IWADs get detected, regardless if as WAD-folder or as packages -folder, the packages get detected as well, but still can't be loaded and started (same error as before). they are listed in the profile edit dialog, with their correct paths, but regardless where i put them, they cant be started. (attached btw the current settings)

BTW, last time it worked was by chance, when there was still the Doomsday_Frontend/addons folder from the previous release in My Documents-folder with the packages inside. even though it was from the prev release, the files were read and the packages loaded.

• Could you post a screenshot of what your game profiles list looks like (showing the error messages), and also a screenshot of what one of those profiles look like when you open it up for package selection, please? This would help clarify what the problem could be.
  • for some reason i cant do a screenshot here with the usual means... but reading through the forum, it seems i am not the only one to encounter this type of error.
    hope it can be solved; meanwhile i ll just play the good ol' Hexen & co. wads, they work fine so far.
  • I had this problem and figured out why it happened with me and my solution:

Doomsday doesn't like spaces in the file names. Although it sees the files, and can see what's in it; the moment it actually goes to load the content when you add it to a game, it can't. Replacing the spaces with underscores made Doomsday load it all just fine.

Don't know if this is also your problem.
  • 3DMaster wrote: »
    Doomsday doesn't like spaces in the file names. Although it sees the files, and can see what's in it; the moment it actually goes to load the content when you add it to a game, it can't. Replacing the spaces with underscores made Doomsday load it all just fine.
    That sounds like a serious bug. All the code in Doomsday should be just fine with having spaces in file names...

Do you have an example of a file name/path that was causing problems for you, so that I can investigate?
  • @ 3DMaster

Indeed, yr solution worked here as well- no spaces in the file's name (or anywhere in the path) and the files can be loaded!

thanks for that!

@ skyjake

in my case, when the file was named "fate_v0.1 Hexen", it could not be loaded;
    after changing the name to "fate_v0.1_Hexen" it was fine (have also removed all spaces in the package's path, so it reads C:\Users\User\Downloads\Hexen_and_Heretic_Wads\Wads\Packages\addons and then the .pk file)
  • Simply the addon packages from this site; I renamed them to something that was easier for me to recognize what they were, and gave them spaces, then they wouldn't load. Renamed them again with underscores instead of spaces, and it worked.
  • I've found and fixed at least one bug that was related to spaces in file names (only in the name itself, not in the directory path). It will be included in 2.0.2 and the next unstable build, so you can give it a try.

You'll need to first Clear Cache, though, before the fix takes effect.
  • edited 2017 Jul 14
    I have the same issue with doom2.wad - that's exactly how the file name appears. The default entry for Doom II says "data files missing" but it doesn't say what data files are missing. If I manually make a Doom II Entry it works fine, but now I have two entries for the same game, one of which I can't do anything with. When I try to configure it under the Packages menu, it will only let me add it to my own created entry and not the default Doom 2 entry that shipped with the engine. Any ideas what's up with this?
  • Caboose30 wrote: »
    The default entry for Doom II says "data files missing" but it doesn't say what data files are missing. If I manually make a Doom II Entry it works fine, but now I have two entries for the same game, one of which I can't do anything with.
    It sounds like the version of doom2.wad you have does not exactly match one of the versions recognized by Doomsday. If your WAD file is valid and not corrupted in some way, it is relatively easy to add it to Doomsday's database of accepted IWAD files.

What is the size of the file in bytes, please? Could you make an MD5 hash sum for it? (For instance, using WinMD5).

• edited 2017 Aug 2
    Hi all,

I too am at a loose end with getting the Skyboxes mod to work with Doomsday 2.0.3 on Windows 10 Pro x64 Creators Edition, I have tried everything as suggested in everyone's posts and have attached copies of the doomsday.out log file from each affected PC to see if anyone can spot any inconsistences and to suggest any remedies that will help. Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim