Problem with version 2

I have windows 7 64-bit and have used version 1.15.8 of doomsday for quite a while with the Ultimate Doom wad and a few add-ons and everything has worked fine. With version 2 the doom wad isn't recognised and when I go to the folder with the wad, it isn't visible to version 2. I can't see any way to get the game to run, what am I missing?

Comments

• Could you attach your doomsday.out log file here, please? It could help figure out what's going on. (If it's long, please zip it or post a pastebin.com link.)

How have you configured the folders in Data Files settings?
  • edited 2017 Apr 9
    It might be helpful to know that the original IWADS have to be renamed in order to work with DE2. Ultimate Doom e.g. has to be renamed in "DOOM1-ULTIMATE.WAD". Details can always be found in the manual under supported games! http://dengine.net/manual/guide/2.0/readme_windows#loading_iwads
  • @wyland Actually, that is incorrect. The WAD files should not be renamed. Doomsday considers the file name one of the criteria when detecting known WAD files, but it's much more dependent on the actual contents of the file.
  • edited 2017 Apr 10
    Really? And how can DE handle different IWADS of the same name like "heretic.wad", standing for the registered version 1.0, 1.2, and 1.3 (Shadow of...)? The registered version (e.g. 1.2) is missing when I use the 1.3 IWAD of "Shadow of..." and vice versa. So I have to rename them in order to see both in DE.
    And by the way, the fixed plutonia.wad (deathmatch starts in MAP12 and MAP23) and tnt.wad (yellow keycard bug in MAP31 and a few changes in MAP10) are not being recognized in DE! Have a look at "https://doomwiki.org/wiki/PLUTONIA.WAD" and "https://doomwiki.org/wiki/TNT.WAD" (you have to fill in the wadname into the search field in order to see full text).
  • @ wyland,
    I am using windows 7 64bit for DE2 and have not needed to change the name of any wad file and my game menu is completely full. All wads are in the same folder. there are 4 Hexen wads. At first I was concerned with overwriting but then realized that when copying wads to the folder I had the option to copy and keep both files and windows would put a number in ( ) automatically to show the copy. So for instance, my Hexen wads are Hexen, Hexen (2), Hexen (3), and Hexen (4).
  • wyland wrote: »
    how can DE handle different IWADS of the same name like "heretic.wad", standing for the registered version 1.0, 1.2, and 1.3 (Shadow of...)? The registered version (e.g. 1.2) is missing when I use the 1.3 IWAD of "Shadow of..." and vice versa. So I have to rename them in order to see both in DE.
    That is likely due to a bug that will be addressed in 2.0.1.

As a workaround right now, you could try placing your IWADs into one of your "Add-on and Package Folders" and leaving the "IWAD Folders" empty.

(In fact, it is likely I will completely remove the "IWAD Folders" from the UI so there's just one set of folders to configure, to avoid unnecessary confusion.)
    the fixed plutonia.wad (deathmatch starts in MAP12 and MAP23) and tnt.wad (yellow keycard bug in MAP31 and a few changes in MAP10) are not being recognized in DE!
    Indeed, Doomsday currently only knows about the first variants of those files as listed in the wiki. The id Anthology version or the PSN variant are missing. I'll add those to the list of known WADs...