2.0 Slow. Choppy. Instant crash when using - or = to risize hud or screen [need Intel driver update]

edited 2017 Apr 4 in Technical Support
Using 32bit version.
Using custom video hardware settings... a lot turned off.
Doomsday 1.15 works smooth as silk; however both crash when trying to edit (cog wheel) video settings in-game.

Segmentation Vioation or something.

Happy to provide whatever I can... but this is... frustrating.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz 7.5 4.9
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.5
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics 4.9
Gaming graphics 1760 MB Total available graphics memory 4.9
Primary hard disk 91GB Free (300GB Total) 5.9

Comments

• It would be good to see your doomsday.out log since there may be some hints about OpenGL problems there.

Unfortunately, there have been occasional reports of issues with Intel HD graphics. My hope is that once Doomsday stops using the old OpenGL 2.1 compatibility profile, it will work better with recent OpenGL drivers. You are using the latest Intel OpenGL drivers?
  • I was already finding it before I came back and saw that you responded. Please see attached! :)
  • skyjake wrote: »
    It would be good to see your doomsday.out log since there may be some hints about OpenGL problems there.

Unfortunately, there have been occasional reports of issues with Intel HD graphics. My hope is that once Doomsday stops using the old OpenGL 2.1 compatibility profile, it will work better with recent OpenGL drivers. You are using the latest Intel OpenGL drivers?

I tend not to mess with OpenGL drivers on this machine. Since it's integrated, I'm not really sure where to go find/download them.
  • Ok. Update.

I updated my Intel Graphics drivers using the correct adapter and this file:
    win64_153343.4425.zip

And all seems to be working MUCH better.

Have to edit CFGs using notepad++ as the LF/CR don't work right in Windows Notepad. Adding my Zoom scripts:
    alias "+zin" "zin1"
    alias "-zin" "zin0"
    alias "zin" "zin1"
    alias "zin0" "rend-camera-fov 110"
    alias "zin1" "rend-camera-fov 30"
    bindevent key-ctrl-down "zin1"
    bindevent key-ctrl-up "zin0"

Hoping that will work.

Got 100% more FPS (from 30 to Vsync'd 60) by turning off Bloom.
  • Tolwyn wrote:
    I updated my Intel Graphics drivers using the correct adapter and this file:
    win64_153343.4425.zip

And all seems to be working MUCH better.
    :+1:

You might also wish to reduce the Pixel Density setting to speed up the rendering.
  • How much horsepower does Doomsday need? I mean, c'mon! dual or quad-core 3.0Ghz, 8GB Ram, Open GL...?

By the way... autoexec.cfg needs to be in runtime, not player config. text is a little confusing in the existing CFG files.

I dunno. The more I turn down... it's like... diminishing returns compared to older versions of Doomsday.
  • Tolwyn wrote:
    How much horsepower does Doomsday need?
    One problem here is your GPU... Intel HD Graphics isn't great for gaming purposes.

I would describe the situation with the renderer in 2.0 is follows. There is a larger transition ongoing to use less CPU and more GPU. Some parts of Doomsday's graphics code already do things differently, for example the UI and the new 3D model renderer. However, the main issue is that the map renderer is still using the same outdated code that was in place during the 1.x series. What's worse, during the late 1.x releases, the map/rendering code was being revised without paying much attention to performance profiling — this lead to perf losses overall. I've been optimizing the worst offenders during the late 2.0 unstable builds, but it seems reaching much higher levels of performance will require completing the OpenGL transition also in the map renderer.

Long story short, one of the big goals in 2.1 and especially 2.2 is increased rendering performance — particularly by relying heavily on GPU and as little as possible on CPU.

In practice, slower GPUs like your integrated Intel HD graphics may not benefit as much as gaming GPUs, but the reduced CPU usage should help, too.