IWADS not recognized in Doomsday 2.0 RC3 [incomplete IWAD detection rules]

edited 2017 Mar 29 in Technical Support
Compared to Doomsday 2.0 RC2 the IWADS of Heretic Shareware, Hexen-Deathkings, Freedoom: Phase 2 and FreeDM are no longer recognized.

Comments

• This is likely because the IWAD recognition was made stricter, and you may have versions that are slightly different than what has been entered into Doomsday's IWAD database.

We should add information about your versions of the IWADs. Any chance you could zip those WADs you listed and share them with me e.g. in Dropbox?

Alternatively I can give some instructions how you can extract the necessary information.
  • edited 2017 Mar 23
    I use version 0.11.2 of the latest Freedoom. Heretic-Shareware and Hexen-Deathkings I use from the following website: doomgod.com/wads/iwads/
  • I can confirm that
    FreeDM and FreeDoom are not recognized, but they were recently updated...

Deathkings of the Dark Citadel with MD5 78D5898E99E220E4DE64EDAA0E479593 is now not recognized anymore http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/HEXDD.WAD

• edited 2017 Mar 23
    Yup, Doomsday currently recognizes HEXDD.WAD 1.0 but not the updated 1.1 version. I'll update the identification rules, and also add the new Freedoom release...

I feel compelled to note that the IWAD files are still copyrighted materials and anyone wanting to acquire them should buy the games on Steam, GOG, etc. instead of just downloading the files for free.
  • I'm making a new RC3 build 2272 today, with updated IWAD identification rules. Once it's out, again clear your cache and restart.
  • Is there any reason why "Freedoom: Phase 1" is not listed in Other Games?
  • wyland wrote:
    Is there any reason why "Freedoom: Phase 1" is not listed in Other Games?
    I believe the Freedooms are not 100% compatible with Doomsday at the moment. I haven't done extensive testing with them, though, so if someone has more accurate information on the subject, please let me know.

So far I've added Phase 2 for testing purposes. I can add Phase 1 in the future, too.

• skyjake wrote: »
    wyland wrote:
    Is there any reason why "Freedoom: Phase 1" is not listed in Other Games?
    I believe the Freedooms are not 100% compatible with Doomsday at the moment.
    It looks like that may no longer be the case. The announcement for Freedoom version 0.11 includes this:
    Freedoom wrote:
    One of the major developments we’ve had is the elimination of Boom as the target engine for game support. While we are aiming for an eventual compatibility with Vanilla Doom, Freedoom should presently run on any limit-removing engine, which is nearly all of them.
    They removed some overlooked Boom stuff in 0.11.1, and it looks like no more leftover Boom features were found in versions 0.11.2 or 0.11.3.

This brings up another issue though. Since Freedoom is updated somewhat frequently (unlike virtually every other supported IWAD), would it be possible to fudge the IWAD detection so that Doomsday doesn't have to add support for each minor update?
  • They removed some overlooked Boom stuff in 0.11.1, and it looks like no more leftover Boom features were found in versions 0.11.2 or 0.11.3.

This brings up another issue though. Since Freedoom is updated somewhat frequently (unlike virtually every other supported IWAD), would it be possible to fudge the IWAD detection so that Doomsday doesn't have to add support for each minor update?
    This needs to be handled with a new type of detection rule. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement. I added this to the tracker: https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/2267

In general, IWAD versions are identified because of savegame and multiplayer compatibility reasons, so for instance adding a general detection fallback for an "undefined" version could easily lead to old savegames being used with a different version of the IWAD.
  • skyjake wrote: »
    This needs to be handled with a new type of detection rule. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement. I added this to the tracker: https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/2267

In general, IWAD versions are identified because of savegame and multiplayer compatibility reasons, so for instance adding a general detection fallback for an "undefined" version could easily lead to old savegames being used with a different version of the IWAD.

That makes a whole lot of sense! :smiley: