Addon box format not working

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm using the latest #2247 build of Doomsday but I'm having problems getting the jDoom Resource Pack from the add-ons page to work.

I have a folder containing the rest of my add-ons and they're working fine. I've downloaded jdrp-packaged-20070404.zip and have unzipped it into that folder so now there is a jdrp.box folder in there alongside the other add-ons.

However, it's not appearing in my list of available add-ons to select.

I'm not sure if this issue is at my end or if it was introduced recently as I haven't used the Doomsday Engine for a while now.

Hope you can help and keep up the amazing work on the engine!

Thanks.

Comments

• That looks like a recent bug. I'll look into it: https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/2206
  • Hi all,

Firstly, I'm using the latest #2247 build of Doomsday but I'm having problems getting the jDoom Resource Pack from the add-ons page to work.

I have a folder containing the rest of my add-ons and they're working fine. I've downloaded jdrp-packaged-20070404.zip and have unzipped it into that folder so now there is a jdrp.box folder in there alongside the other add-ons.

However, it's not appearing in my list of available add-ons to select.

I'm not sure if this issue is at my end or if it was introduced recently as I haven't used the Doomsday Engine for a while now.

Hope you can help and keep up the amazing work on the engine!

Thanks.

A temporary work-around is to rename the jdrp.box to jdrp (remove the “.box”). I had to do this with jdrp1_01.box too to get access to the pk3 files via the “Package Picker”. All the pk3 files (around 200) will be displayed by the package “picker”. You then just select each one that you wish to use. I had to use the “search filter” in the Package Picker to separate one package’s content from others. However, this does give a lot of flexibility in mixing in other pk3.s from other sources just by selecting the ones you want and deselecting the ones you don’t.
  • Thanks for the response both.

I'm not particularly desperate to play right now, just setting things up for a future session so I'll hang on for the fix rather than use your workaround John.
  • skyjake wrote:
    That looks like a recent bug. I'll look into it: https://tracker.dengine.net/issues/2206

Hi skyjake.

I noticed you submitted a fix for this in the recent build but unfortunately it's still not working for me. Interestingly, the Hexen box you mention in the tracker also doesn't appear for me either before or after the fix.

If it helps, I'm running Windows 10 64 bit with the latest #2254 build. My add-ons are in the folder C:\Games\WADS\Addons\Doom_all, which is where the jdrp.box folder sits. In the Data Files setting, I have listed:

- C:\Games\WADS (to pick up the main game WADS I have there)
    - C:\Games\WADS\Addons\Doom_all
    - C:\Games\WADS\Addons\Hexen (which is where the jxccp_1_31.box folder sits)

After looking at your comment in the tracker, I added a version (1.01) to the Info file in jdrp.box but that had no effect either.

I have confirmed that if I move all of the .pk3 files from the .box folder into the Doom_all folder then each of the individual packages are then made available. Not ideal of course but it shows that the Doom_all folder is indeed being searched.

Is there anything else that you need from me?

Thank you.
  • As I mentioned above I was having the same problem with ".Box" for two of the packs (except for Hexen). But after Skyjake's fix they now work, however, I did have to deselect all of the individual ".pk3" files that composed these two ".box" packs in the "Package Picker". I used the LEFT pane in the Package Picker screen to delete them (so to speak). I then renamed these two packs by adding the ".box" to their names and the "Package Picker" recognized them. I selected one for doom and one for Heretic and they seemed to have worked.

Hope this helps.
  • I noticed you submitted a fix for this in the recent build but unfortunately it's still not working for me. Interestingly, the Hexen box you mention in the tracker also doesn't appear for me either before or after the fix.
    There is one more thing to try: clear the resources cache by selecting (DE) > Clear cache, and then restart Doomsday. This will force a re-check of all your addons.
  • @John: Yep, I can get them working as individual packages by removing the .box extension but I'm trying to get them working without the need to do that, thanks.

@skyjake: I cleared the cache and restarted DE but neither of the .box add-ons appear. Is there anything I can check in the verbose log? At first glance, I can't see anything untoward in there...

Thanks.
  • I got the same problems with the jdrp.box addon, but build 2254 fixes that for me....
  • I'm still having the same issue in build #2258. I'll try moving the .box folders (both the Hexen and the Doom Resource Packs) into a different folder and will report back the results.
  • edited 2017 Mar 9
    I'm still having the same issue in build #2258.
    If moving the files doesn't do anything, could you post your doomsday.out file? (If you have trouble finding it, see the Files section in the Readme.)
  • According to the log file, it seems no add-on folders have been configured (only IWAD folders). Check out this setting:

mhd60yfgi5zf.jpg

This UI needs a little revising. I'll merge this popup with the IWAD folder selection popup so both can be set in the same place.
  • Ah! That makes perfect sense - I missed that setting and thought that "Data Files" would cover everything.

Thanks for your help, definitely user error.

And the new forums are looking good too, nice job.
  • Yeah that setting is unnecessarily too hidden at the moment. :)