Version 2 multiplayer servers

edited 2017 Jan 29 in Developers
<div id="bridgedd"> <div class="excerpt-title">This is a blog excerpt.  <a href="http://dengine.net/blog/2016/11/version-2-multiplayer-servers/&quot; target="_blank">Read Full Article</a> </div> <br /> <p>Yesterday I merged a work branch where I've revised the way information about multiplayer servers is stored and distributed. The changes from “mp-serverinfo” are available in <a href="http://files.dengine.net/builds/build2144/">build 2144</a>.</p>
<p>There are some important changes to discuss. Doomsday 2 servers are now incompatible and separate from Doomsday 1.x servers. Doomsday 2 uses a new status information format, new master server web API and new, compressed LAN broadcast messages. Doomsday 1.x clients will therefore not detect Doomsday 2 servers, and cannot query information about them (and vice versa). </div>

Comments

• skyjake, I would assume that multiplayer part is still under development. I have tried the recent build (unstable) of 2.0 and I have noticed that the player seems to 'jigger' in some various places. However, I do like the new format of 2.0. It's really top notch and quite easy to understand so far. Another question, would you have an option to add models on the client's side when joining a 'vanilla' host server? In other words, turn on and off models option. I know the stable 1.15.8 does this very well with the Snowberry frontend where I can join the host with either hi-res models or without models which is a very nice feature. I'm looking forward for the final development of 2.0 so far. Thanks.
  • Yeah, I have been doing minimal work on MP recently so there may be some regressions.

I still haven't finalized the Multiplayer tab of the Home UI for 2.0, so I might still add controls for choosing your client-side additional resources. This is a bit tricky, though, because some resource packs make changes in the game data that lead to incompatibilities on the client vs. the server, which may cause various issues and/or a crash.

Then there is also the in-game Packages sidebar that can be accessed via the DE menu button, where you can load and unload packages. I haven't really tested that while an MP game is running, though.
  • here is my suggestion to that. if joining an mp game it disables the conflicting addons but tells you that it needs too so you can join the game.
  • Yes, I have noticed the DE menu for loading packages. I have managed to make it work with models with my own server since I knew my ip address (by selecting the specific game like Doom and pulled the console down and typed "-connect <ip address>"). I was able to join my server with the models. However in the "Multiplayer" section, this feature was disabled when I joined my server (it doesn't load the client's package) the normal way. Also, it is work around bit but I have also noticed that the "Multiplayer" section does not display the ip address which would be difficult to join someone else's server with the models. Would 2.0 still display the ip address once it's been finalized? Thanks.
  • GhostGuy wrote:
    Also, it is work around bit but I have also noticed that the "Multiplayer" section does not display the ip address which would be difficult to join someone else's server with the models. Would 2.0 still display the ip address once it's been finalized? Thanks.
    Yes, the IP address of the server and any other relevant information will be displayed in the Multiplayer tab once it's finalized.