doom zombie 3dmodel wip

edited 2009 Oct 12 in Addons for DOOM
Hey Guys.
I have been working on the zombie model from doom
screenshot164.th.png

what you think?

Comments

• make the gun longer like streach it and i think the zombie is not wearing the same armour as the doomguy but i could be wrong and for a wip it's not bad
  • Looking good... the armour looks fine to me. Just make sure you fix that block-head! But this one seems much more faithful to the original compared to the current.
  • Here is an update
    screenshot168.th.png
  • And update showing him with pose able eyebrows and mouth
    screenshot171.th.png
  • KuriKai wrote:
    An update showing him with pose able eyebrows and mouth
    The head is really coming together! :) I can't wait to see it in the finished state! :D
  • KuriKai wrote:
    And update showing him with pose able eyebrows and mouth

The model is very good and the skin is off to a great start! Those could turn into some mighty fine animations....
  • No one will ever make a 3D model for Doom that actually looks/moves well. It'll never look/feel right.

They're more comical than anything else.

Sprites for the win.
  • What are you basing that prediction on? Past examples?

I can see no reason why a talented animator can't get good results with a well rigged model under Doomsday. Look at Psychikon's Gargoyle for example.

Certainly, not everyone likes models in DOOM and may prefer not to use them but that is their choice.
  • Yeah, I have no real reason to say that it won't ever be done, because I really don't know. I just love the sprites. I don't understand the people that would want to replace those beautiful sprites (especially with the stuff that's currently available. Ick.)
  • Ravencraft wrote:
    Yeah, I have no real reason to say that it won't ever be done, because I really don't know. I just love the sprites. I don't understand the people that would want to replace those beautiful sprites (especially with the stuff that's currently available. Ick.)
    How about the current model I am working on? do you think it is faithful to the original? if not? how could I make it more faithful
  • Many of us would be biased on model quality for that exact reason - over-zealous fans who thrive on the authenticity, stuck in nostalgia. Psycychons Garg' is very amazing, and Kuri's zombieguy here does to me seem genuine and true to the original.

Marine armour, green buzzcut hair-do and blood at the mouth... its a Doom zombie!

I like the idea of the model actually holding a pistol too.
  • an update,
    tweaked his face to hopefully look more like the sprite and gave him bloody hands
    55732025.th.png

What you guys think?
    tell me how you think I could make it closer to the zombie
  • The main thing that stands out to me is the squashed appearance of the mesh, he looks a little bit like a midget or is out of proportion somehow.

Apart from that, I think it's great. The only other thing I could criticise (since you asked) is just the lack of finer-details in the skin, perhaps it looks a little cartoony-like to my eye (no doubt you're aware of that though). Regardless, I think it's much better than the existing model already :)

Let's see what Psych thinks.

EDIT: I think your third screenshot with the posed eyebrows and mouth is a really cool firing animation. And, I know it's not like the original, but it makes sense to me that he has a pistol instead of a rifle. Just putting that out there (I know the rifle will probably stick).
  • the mesh is squashed because in doom it will get stretched and look more normal, but i did just notice that the head is not fat enough, so I will fix it now. If I add to many details I fear it will move too far away from the sprite, and also the head is not going to have a huge resolution image to be used.

yeah the rifle will stay haha
  • KuriKai wrote:
    the mesh is squashed because in doom it will get stretched and look more normal, but i did just notice that the head is not fat enough, so I will fix it now.
    Really? That's... odd. Is that to do with FOV at all, or is it just a quirk with the engine?
    KuriKai wrote:
    If I add to many details I fear it will move too far away from the sprite, and also the head is not going to have a huge resolution image to be used.

yeah the rifle will stay haha
    Very good =D> Nothing else stands out to me. But we're yet to see the animations of course >:)
  • JonusC wrote:
    KuriKai wrote:
    the mesh is squashed because in doom it will get stretched and look more normal, but i did just notice that the head is not fat enough, so I will fix it now.
    Really? That's... odd. Is that to do with FOV at all, or is it just a quirk with the engine?
    Original DOOM did not use a square pixel aspect. Consequently, in order to keep things at the same scale we need to adjust absolutely everything, models, sprites, maps...
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Original DOOM did not use a square pixel aspect. Consequently, in order to keep things at the same scale we need to adjust absolutely everything, models, sprites, maps...
    Aha! Is this why, in original DOS Doom 320x200, I remember seeing on the automap a perfectly rectangular room but on a 45 degree slant relatively speaking, and it was a little "distorted" in the pixel alignment? That always puzzled me, I suppose it is related. That's interesting trivia right there.
  • doom2000.th.jpg
    he is in-game^^
  • Something about the feet look wierd. Or maybe it's just me.
  • I don't think its a problem with the feet, to my eye there appears to be a proportion issue; his head looks somewhat larger than it should be (or than I remember it being in the earlier wip pics). Most likely once the head is scaled down the feet won't look so small :)
  • ....plus his Rifle Muzzle is on fire.

=))

Looking good though, come to think of it I think it is the head. The body looks alright. Where's his neck?

Very original though. Nicely done so far :))