Sound Works But Music Doesn't Play Problem

edited 2016 Oct 19 in Technical Support
I'm running Doomsday 2.0 build 1874 on Windows 10 Pro. All sound drivers are loaded. When I start the game the sound works but the music doesn't play.

Comments

• Just tried to play on a other Windows 10 computer with the same results. Sound works but music doesn't play.
  • Apologies, but there doesn't appear to be a very active forum here.
    I had difficulties myself getting certain things going, I've only downloaded Doomsday around a week ago myself. Tutorials are a little sparse (or I can only say, I had problems locating some). Anyway, I'm still learning how to do things, but I managed to get sound working on Doom, Hexen, and Heretic. I have sound effects on Doom2, but I've been unable to get the music working as of yet.
    I'm going to assume you've used default installation paths, because each game has to have the music installed in a seperate location, and if you want it to automatically load on starting the game, it has to be placed in the 'auto' folder, which you have to create manually.
    Here is a little tutorial to demonstrate how to get Doom going with music :
    1) The default installation path for Doomsday 2 (build 1847) is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday 2.0.0'
    2) In order to get addons like music working, you need to create a folder of the game name with the letter 'j' infront.
    examples : 'jdoom', 'jdoom2', 'jhexen', 'jheretic' this folder needs to be created in the 'data' directory - example :
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday 2.0.0\data\jdoom
    3) Download the Doom music file from this page : http://www.dengine.net/addons
    Look for the linkname : "DOOM Classic Music 2008.09.30"
    4) Create your 'auto' directory in the 'jdoom' directory and place the downloaded file into it.
    example : C:\Program Files (x86)\Doomsday 2.0.0\data\jdoom\auto

That's it ! or thats how I managed to get it working for me. My Doom and Heretic, etc. games were installed through Steam, and Doomsday found them and automatically ran them from that location - except for the music.
    If you want to run the HD patches for Doom as well, downlaod the links from the addon page for :
    DOOM High-Resolution Texture Project
    DOOM High-Resolution User interface Pack 2012.02.23
    DOOM Resource Pack (jDRP) 1.01
    ......... place the downloaded files into your 'auto' directory if you want them to automatically load each time you start the game. The downloaded files are in .pk3 format, which is just another name for .zip files. If you have something like 7zip, available here : http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
    then you'll be able to open them if you want to see what's inside, otherwise just place them in the 'auto' folder.
    I know this is a rather quick tutorial, hope its enough to get you going.
    I'm using Win 7 64bit. Not tried Doomsday on Windows 10.
  • Harley5111 wrote:
    I'm running Doomsday 2.0 build 1874 on Windows 10 Pro. All sound drivers are loaded. When I start the game the sound works but the music doesn't play.
    I trust you've noticed this about the 2.0 builds:
    About Unstable Builds — Proceed with Caution!
    The unstable 2.0 builds are still being worked on rather heavily and miss several important features that are going to be in the final stable 2.0. The Snowberry front-end, for example, has now been removed in the unstable 2.0 builds. The front-end is required for certain basic things like loading PWADs, resource packs and other add-ons.
    Please consider using the stable 1.15 releases, especially if you are new to Doomsday
    Unless something has changed, Windows should be able to play MIDI music using FMOD in the default configuration without any add-ons. I'll investigate when I get a chance. It may help to get a General MIDI .DLS soundfont and configure Doomsday to use it in the Audio Settings dialog. The "gm.dls" file has at least in the past been part of Windows, but Google will help you find it easily.
  • I had the same issues that music doesn't play a while ago. Try running Doomsday as Administrator. For me the error was, because I installed it into "C:\Program Files" and Windows has those security settings, so Doomsday couldn't write the current MIDI file into the own folder.
  • Milten you were right when i run it as administrator the music plays again. Thanks. But this is still a defect.
  • Just thought I'd add that Milten's fix also worked for my issue with Doom2, so the music now works fine. Many thanks for the info.
  • Harley5111 wrote:
    Milten you were right when i run it as administrator the music plays again. Thanks. But this is still a defect.
    Yeah I agree. It should not be writing anything under Program Files. The temporary MIDI files should be written to the appropriate temp files folder...
  • Hello everybody.
    I have the same problem with unstable 2.0 builds on Windows 7 32 bit.
    The temporary MIDI files are created in the temp files folder, for example in %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Temp\doomsday-3012, but the music does not play. I tried to manually specify the path to GM.DLS soundfont file, but it did not help.
    I guess that the problem may be due to the cyrillic letters in the name of a Windows user.
    If I manually set the path to GM.DLS file located in the download folder, I get a warning that the file is not found. Perhaps, Doomsday Engine can not play a temporary MIDI files for the same reason.
  • 1. How to get this menu in 2.0???
    file.php?id=153

2. In 1.6 there was a menu, where I can switch audio to OpenAL and MIDI stream uses my DEFAULT sysem MIDI Synth device (I use Virtual Sound Canvas).
    How can i do the same in 2.0?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Damn, 2.0 interface ir really crap!
  • MAN-biker wrote:
    1. How to get this menu in 2.0???
    When a game is loaded, press Shift-Esc to show the Doomsday Taskbar. Click on the Gear icon. Click on Audio Settings.
    2. In 1.6 there was a menu, where I can switch audio to OpenAL and MIDI stream uses my DEFAULT sysem MIDI Synth device (I use Virtual Sound Canvas).
    How can i do the same in 2.0?
    At the moment this feature is missing completely. It will be back before the stable 2.0 is released. You can follow the status here: http://tracker.dengine.net/issues/2101

UI improvement ideas are always welcome.
  • Andrew777 wrote:
    I have the same problem with unstable 2.0 builds on Windows 7 32 bit.
    The temporary MIDI files are created in the temp files folder, for example in %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Temp\doomsday-3012, but the music does not play. I tried to manually specify the path to GM.DLS soundfont file, but it did not help.
    I guess that the problem may be due to the cyrillic letters in the name of a Windows user.
    If I manually set the path to GM.DLS file located in the download folder, I get a warning that the file is not found. Perhaps, Doomsday Engine can not play a temporary MIDI files for the same reason.
    Please submit a bug report about this.

I haven't checked the details, but I suspect the problem is occurring when the file path is passed to the FMOD library (that is being used for playing MIDI music).

Currently the 2.0 builds do not have a GUI for switching the music audio plugin, but you could try one of the following command line options:
    • -imusic winmm
    • -imusic sdlmixer
    That will cause MIDI playback to be redirected to Windows Multimedia APIs, or in the latter case, SDL_mixer.
  • skyjake wrote:
    Currently the 2.0 builds do not have a GUI for switching the music audio plugin, but you could try one of the following command line options:
    • -imusic winmm
    • -imusic sdlmixer
    That will cause MIDI playback to be redirected to Windows Multimedia APIs, or in the latter case, SDL_mixer.

Thanks, skyjake!
    Soon I will submit a bug report.
    I tried the command line options, which you suggested.
    With the "-imusic winmm" option I have no music, but get the following error:
    [audio::System > AudioDriver] FMOD Sound System (c) Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2013
                                  [WinMM] AMD HDMI Output (AMD High Defin
                                    Line name: ����� �������-���� (����� �������-�)
                                    Volume name: ��������� (���������)
                                  [WinMM] Error getting line info: Error 1024
    [audio::System] [WinMM] 1 MIDI-Out devices present

With the "-imusic sdlmixer" option the MIDI music finally started playing. =D>