Sapphire Wand 2.0 + Doomsday 2 Hexen Models

Comments

• That's fantastic! I'm waiting for the downloadable pack with the ettin. Great work, veirdo!!!
  • @ PostFatal
    Dday supports visual variants, as seen on the JDRP Zombiemen for instance. Hence it's a case of the artists having the time and wanting to make the variants.

In the case of HeXen though there is the issue that many of the mobjs spawn gib/piece mobjs on death (i.e the Ettin throws a mace mobj, the suit of armour throws bits everywhere etc) that can't be set up to use a specific variant based on their source (i.e one can't make Ettin variant 3 always throw mace variant 3 for instance). Though who knows what the new model renderer will ultimately allow :)
  • Wonderful, glad to see someone pushing to make D-day something other than vanilla with hi-res textures.
  • Been following this for quite a while now and I love the style you've given the Ettin - well done!
  • that hi-poly ettin is looking absolutely epic <3

hope someone one day makes a better high-poly version of the chaos-serpents too
  • There are a few Hexen enemies that have never been modeled at all. I'd like to see some of them being worked on to try and complete the set before remaking them all though I'm very happy to see the Ettin as it is so much more improved over the old one.
  • yeah agreed, it would be better to first complete set so we'll at least have everything as models

one monster id also love to see remade as a 3D model is the stalker
    HexenStalkerBoss.png
  • PostFatal wrote:
    Could you please move to the far side of the yard so we can see his approach over a longer distance?
    Thanks to skyjake, now walk cycle is fixed. Animations are still in progress, but now I have a working game asset. https://youtu.be/B4tgG7tpIfk
  • Much smoother walk now, nice job.
    You are in windowed mode, I am on a 16.9 monitor, will they look too wide in fullscreen? How soon before we can try him out?
  • the walk-cycle is looking great, but i suggest adjusting his face a bit.
    the ettins face kinda looks a bit... disinterested and bored?
    and the fact his mouth is half-open all the time doesn't really help either

perhaps try and adjust the face a bit to make him look more angry and less bored?

otherwise, the model is absolutely fantastic and the animations look really good
  • Took the words right out of my mouth Splitterface.
  • That's right, the Ettin's face look sad and eyes are half closed. That's because the facial animations are not involved yet. I already talked with our animator about making grin faces to Ettin's heads to make him close to original sprites.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    Much smoother walk now, nice job.
    You are in windowed mode, I am on a 16.9 monitor, will they look too wide in fullscreen? How soon before we can try him out?
    That's why I'm on a 4:3 now:) They are the best for id tech 1 gaming imho
  • theleo_ua wrote:
    PostFatal wrote:
    Much smoother walk now, nice job.
    That's why I'm on a 4:3 now:) They are the best for id tech 1 gaming imho
    For models the resolution ratio does not matter, they don't get stretched unlike sprites if the engine handles widescreen properly.

And good job veirdo. Waiting for it to look grimmer, you guys keep up your work :)
  • Damage Visualizer prototype for Doomsday Engine 2.0
    HERE
  • Damage Visualizer WIP in game.
    https://youtu.be/yK048BbjGU4
    Some dev's info for community:
    Skyjake did a great job pushing new renderer and animation system to be ready to go. Almost everyday Doomsday Engine 2.0 build have a new feature. For today we have a fully working animation system, a set of shaders for different purposes, and a very powerful doomsday script for procedural animations like damage inflicting states.
  • veirdo wrote:
    Damage Visualizer WIP in game.
    https://youtu.be/yK048BbjGU4
    Some dev's info for community:
    Skyjake did a great job pushing new renderer and animation system to be ready to go. Almost everyday Doomsday Engine 2.0 build have a new feature. For today we have a fully working animation system, a set of shaders for different purposes, and a very powerful doomsday script for procedural animations like damage inflicting states.

Great progress there as usual :)
    A question though. Currently the Ice State always has the same "animation". Is it possible to alter it in such a way that the object freezes in the animation it was on? E.g. if the Ettin hits you and you freeze him, he will be frozen with his mace raised, or if he simply walks towards you and you freeze him, he will be frozen (and stays that way) during mid-walk?
    Or is that planned anyway and it's just not build in yet ;)
  • Milten wrote:
    Is it possible to alter it in such a way that the object freezes in the animation it was on? E.g. if the Ettin hits you and you freeze him, he will be frozen with his mace raised, or if he simply walks towards you and you freeze him, he will be frozen (and stays that way) during mid-walk?
    That is not currently possible (pausing an animation sequence). However, I like the idea and implementing support for it will not be that difficult. :)
  • I would much rather see an awareness in the character. the animation is far better than the wind up toy we have now but there is still no awareness. He is a blank zombie wandering aimlessly. There has to be a way that at least one head can track you.
  • Milten wrote:
    Is it possible to alter it in such a way that the object freezes in the animation it was on? E.g. if the Ettin hits you and you freeze him, he will be frozen with his mace raised, or if he simply walks towards you and you freeze him, he will be frozen (and stays that way) during mid-walk?
    I assure you that it never worked well. The final pose may be unbalanced and look unnatural. I prefer to have an animation blend from pose where the creature have been frozen to a "beauty" statue pose writhing in pain. Even now the "iced" state have 0.5 sec animation to reach the final pose.
    PostFatal wrote:
    He is a blank zombie wandering aimlessly.
    It's a creature mechanics for cannon fodder stuff. Even if it will look at you it still will remain zombie with a constant speed and odd walk trajectories.
  • veirdo wrote:
    The final pose may be unbalanced and look unnatural.
    That was my first thought as well, but then again, this is magic ice so it doesn't have to obey the laws of nature. :)
    veirdo wrote:
    I prefer to have an animation blend from pose where the creature have been frozen to a "beauty" statue pose writhing in pain. Even now the "iced" state have 0.5 sec animation to reach the final pose.
    Yes, blending smoothly from the ongoing animation to the designated "frozen" pose should yield a very nice end result.

There are a lot of tweaks that the animation system still needs, like blending between sequences, animating only parts of the skeleton, and turning certain bones to face the target. I'll get to these eventually, but currently they are not in the top of the list.
  • skyjake wrote:
    There are a lot of tweaks that the animation system still needs, like blending between sequences, animating only parts of the skeleton, and turning certain bones to face the target. I'll get to these eventually, but currently they are not in the top of the list.
    I agree, these are minor features compared to others )
    skyjake wrote:
    this is magic ice so it doesn't have to obey the laws of nature. :)

OOOkay =))

MaskFrozen.png
  • very impressive veirdo.... would be a nice x-mas gift ;)
  • 0815Jack wrote:
    very impressive veirdo.... would be a nice x-mas gift ;)
    I'm not sure about x-mas release. The engine is in a very active development state, it literally changes everyday. The models changes respectively.
    About Ettin model itself, some major features are missing: death and idle animations are draft, "xdeath" model is in-progress.
    I'm estimated a first release about february-march 2016.
  • @veirdo, just wondering if you might be open to some beta testers?
  • veirdo wrote:
    0815Jack wrote:
    very impressive veirdo.... would be a nice x-mas gift ;)
    I'm not sure about x-mas release. The engine is in a very active development state, it literally changes everyday. The models changes respectively.
    About Ettin model itself, some major features are missing: death and idle animations are draft, "xdeath" model is in-progress.
    I'm estimated a first release about february-march 2016.

my intention was not to push for a release date :)
  • Very nice and interesting work!
  • The new model renderer is almost ready to show its glory, and now i'm workin on a classic Hexen environment cubemaps to reflect on shiny surfaces.There should be environments with all kind of sky (stormy blue, red, foggy and mountainscapes) and all indoor environments too.

HexenEnvironment01_640x480.png
    I think I can start to release models next month.
  • Nice to hear, veirdo!
  • Crystal Vial 2.0 model
    Game-ready
    vial2_gameReady.png