Question about 64 bit releases

edited 2015 Aug 27 in General
Hi there. I recently updated to windows 10 x64. I just wanted to know if there are any releases that use the full 64 bit. If there are, I couldn't find them, I only found the Ubuntu x64 release. The engine works fine so far, but in some fights, when monsters get too close, the fps drops a little (or may be more than a little, I'm not sure), so I suppose that in an x64 release of doomsday, the fps would stay more constant, since it would be using the whole power of the processor. By the way, I have a Core2Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, Motherboard DP35DP, and an N560GTX graphics card. The game where this happens is Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders. I assume the windows release that I downloaded use 32 bit only because the default installation folder is Program Files x86.

Comments

• What Doomsday version are you using? For normal gameplay I recommend the latest stable 1.15.2 as opposed to the latest unstable builds, Doomsday 2.0.0, because they are implementing a new renderer and the performance still has to be optimized. Only use them if you want to contribute to find bugs and such.

And no, there are no 64-Bit Releases for Windows. I think there's only 64-Bit for Ubuntu, due to better or necessary compatibility, while DDay 32-Bit works fine on Windows 64-Bit..

For your request of 64-Bit for Windows: It won't fix the FPS problems per se (it may run better, it may not, but it won't magically go up to 60 FPS). The only profit for 64-Bit would be, that the appplication can use the full memory of your computer, but without many many 3D-Models and highres-textures, you won't reach that limit of 32 Bit, which is usually 2GB (without further optimizations)
  • We have 64-bit builds for Linux and Mac OS X, however as Milten says, there's no performance boost to be had here.

In practice, we are almost ready to do 64-bit builds on Windows, too. There is a Tracker issue about this: http://tracker.skyjake.fi/issues/1574 Nowadays, pretty much all of the 3rd party libraries offer 64-bit versions, too, however some of the super old ones will have to be disabled (EAX, OpenAL).
  • skyjake wrote:
    We have 64-bit builds for Linux and Mac OS X, however as Milten says, there's no performance boost to be had here.

In practice, we are almost ready to do 64-bit builds on Windows, too. There is a Tracker issue about this: http://tracker.skyjake.fi/issues/1574 Nowadays, pretty much all of the 3rd party libraries offer 64-bit versions, too, however some of the super old ones will have to be disabled (EAX, OpenAL).
    I started building my GZDooms on my own recently, and OpenAL had a 64-Bit library availabe. However, at least in GZDoom I stopped using OpenAL since it gave me rather a sloppy performance (as well in 32-Bit as 64-Bit)
    And can EAX even be used unless you use tools like 3D-SoundBack from Realtek or Creative ALchemy?
  • Ok, got it. However, if my computer is powerful enough to run doomsday perfectly, what could be the cause of the slow fps? Leaving aside virus, malware and stuff, which I know for a fact that I don't have; what could be the reason? Im' using version 1.15.2, the stable build.
  • It sort of depends on what your FPS is before it drops, and what it drops to. If you're running at 200 and it drops to 150, that's a significant drop but it also doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
  • Okey, I'll try it and get back to you. By the way, how can I see the fps?
  • You can enable the FPS indicator in Video Settings: Open the taskbar -> settings (gear icon) -> Video -> Show FPS
  • DaniJ wrote:
    You can enable the FPS indicator in Video Settings: Open the taskbar -> settings (gear icon) -> Video -> Show FPS
    Given all the space in the taskbar, I'm surprised the gear icon is used instead of the word 'settings' or similar?
  • Vermil wrote:
    Given all the space in the taskbar, I'm surprised the gear icon is used instead of the word 'settings' or similar?
    There are two reasons for just having the gear icon:
    1. The gear is nowadays a universal symbol for configuration and settings.
    2. The UI widgets don't currently have a good mechanism for automatically hiding redundant information (like a "Settings" label) when there isn't enough space, so I've opted not to have these visible even when there is lots of space. Supporting a responsive UI design is a relatively important priority for the UI though, so this will likely change at some point.
  • Thanks for the replies, guys. But I'm having problems right now because the engine crashes, and I currently don't know if the problem is the engine, or my pc. But it's going to take a while before finding it out. Thanks again for the replies, I'll try everything once I'm sure my pc is running properly.