Problem with sound since windows update KB3081438

Hi there. I've only had Windows 10 64 bit for a few days, and so far the engine worked perfectly for the most part. But, today, specifically after windows update KB3081438 that was applied yesterday, the external sound of Heretic doesn't work. I'm using the original midi music found here:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-port ... -for-fans/

I'm using the mp3 Doomsday version, of course.
But as of today (after the update) those external mp3 files that worked perfectly until yesterday, started to work terribly. The SFX sound works properly, but the external music, what is the english word... stutters? shatters? Like, it sounds properly, and all of a sudden, you can hear a sort of glitch. It only lasts a second, but it's very annoying. This doesn't happen with midi music generated by the engine. I just wanted to post this to let you know, because I'm absolutely sure that this is not a problem from the engine, wich worked well until yesterday; but a problem of the update itself. I tried every sound driver, but they all have the same problem. This is not the only problem I had today after that update, and it wouldn't be the first time that a windows update doesn't work properly, but if anyone can think of a way to workaround or fix this, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I recently tried uninstalling that update, but the problem remains.
  • I formatted my pc, reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit, updated it to the fullest, and still got the same error. By the way, the version of doomsday might be useful, I tried 1.15.1 and 1.15.2, both the stable builds, both with the exact same results.
  • I'm currently working on the Doomsday audio code (and testing on Windows 10). I'll let you know if I encounter anything strange.

It might help if you posted your doomsday.out (see the note at the top of this forum).
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I'm currently working on the Doomsday audio code (and testing on Windows 10). I'll let you know if I encounter anything strange.

It might help if you posted your doomsday.out (see the note at the top of this forum).
    Here it is.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4 ... file%2cout

The only problem is that the engine crashed after I tried to exit it. But I took a look at the file, and I believe everything is there. If not, please let me know. One thing: I was playing in stereo horizontal without the 3d mode in my monitor (long story) watching one of the two images. I didn't turned the 3d off, so you can have a better look at how I play normally. Let me know if there's anything missing. The crash, it's the first time it happens since I reinstalled windows, but I also played the game not only until the music has the glitch, but the entire music theme of the map, which I didn't do before. One more thing, I believe this is the product of an incorrect windows update in both windows 10 and 7, because I never had this problem before updating to windows 10 and installing the problematic update. When I reinstalled windows 7, I updated it to the fullest, and then was when the error showed up again.
    P.S.: I uploaded to onedrive, because the forum showed that the message along with the doomsday.out were too many characters. I tried the upload attachment option, but nothing happened, no clue about why.
  • Update. In stable version 1.15.4, the music works well in the first level, until it restarts. In that specific point, a very annoying glitch is heard. I still tried a different level with the same music as e2m6 (which was the level for all my tests) and the music of that level still works with the same problems. Could the problem be that the savegame is too old?
  • Hi. I just wanted to say that I'm starting to think that the problem could be my hardware, somehow. I tried every stable version of Doomday Engine from 1.15.1 to 1.15.7. I every case, with the same problem, exactly the same. So, I thought that the problem could be my drivers, so I updated the chipset of my motherboard. Now, I hear no music, just a white noise all the time.

What I didn't mention was that I'm not playing the sound of my computer with the sound board, but with the Graphics Card, that connects to the LG D2342P monitor through an HDMI cable, wich it finally connnects with a stereo sound amplifier via RCA cables. The sound kept sounding exactly the same through every update of the graphics card.

And now, since the Chipset update, all I hear is a white noise, but no music.

1) Could the problem be that the drivers of the motherboard are very old? The most recent update of any driver is from 2012, and some are even older. The motherboard itself has been discontinued for a long while now.
    2) If not, could the problem be the simple fact that my hardware is too old, and doesn't work anymore? Please tell me that's not the case.
    3) If none of the above, what could be the problem? A friend of mine installed doomsday engine in a notebook brand new, and had the exact same problem with the sound that I'm having right now: white noise.
  • The sound is back to working bad, but not the white noise I got that I pointed out in the previous post, I have no idea why. But, I forgot the most important thing. Here's the doosmday.out file:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4 ... file%2cout

It happened again that when I tried to put the content of the file with the code button, it said that the content was too long to put in the message, so I uploaded the file to onedrive.

I beg you, give me suggestions, I'll try anything.
    One thing I didn't point out: a long time ago, when this problem started happening, I believe (I'm not sure) that I enabled Virtualization Technology in the BIOS for VirtualBox. Could that generate the problem somehow?
  • Me and a friend of mine, have the same sound problems with the ultimate 1.15.7 release...we created a folder named "music" in doomsday/data/jdoom..after we have put our mp3 horror musics in there....audio settings in menu game is set to external file as default...so the music work....but with glitch noise....also....i tried to set others audio driver in the snowberry audio menu...but the result was white noise....as for you.... :( a long time ago...with the old 1.8.6 release...i created an audio.ded file with syntax compilations about external music files...it worked perfectly...now, few days ago, i tried to use the same audio.ded file with the ultimate stable 1.15.7 release....but it doesn't work....i love very much this game and this port ...but i hate this sound issues...and i would like to have an explanation about it....
  • Problem Fixed! I converted the mp3 files to ogg, and now it works perfectly. I played the first level of the first episode entirely without any sound issues with version 1.15.8 of the engine. The only problem is that there's a glitch in the title music at the start of the game, but after that, I'd say the sound in the levels and the winning screen works perfectly. I'd like to ask permission to the administrators of the forum to upload the converted sound to dropbox, so everyone can fix this problem.
  • Problem Fixed! I converted the mp3 files to ogg, and now it works perfectly. I played the first level of the first episode entirely without any sound issues with version 1.15.8 of the engine. The only problem is that there's a glitch in the title music at the start of the game, but after that, I'd say the sound in the levels and the winning screen works perfectly. I'd like to ask permission to the administrators of the forum to upload the converted sound to dropbox, so everyone can fix this problem.
    yeah....i'm fixed that problem in the same way! ;)