DHSP (DOOM high resolution sprite project)

1235»

Comments

• I have to admit that as cool as it currently looks, that the blood effects could make or break it.
  • I made a new status bar, so similar to original as I could. The center part with head is not centered correctly yet.
    You can test this if you want:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kad4kbjraqqnq ... R.zip?dl=0

http://imgur.com/GGzMyIv
  • that looks amazing. if and when we get 3d models onto the hud that would be a good place for it as well as the 2d variant.
  • I really like the new HUD head renders. Is there any chance the head 3D model will eventually be released? I'd love to see it put on the Doom player model, or part of one of those 3D head HUDs like in Quake 3 and Berserker@Q2.
  • Tell me which version looks better (look at his hair):

ta4ITEE.png

I used two different background colors, so that you can better see the difference. Besides background this two images (upper and lower) are the same.
  • I think the one on the left with the lighter hair looks more marine.
  • agreed but the other one looks good too what i would do is take the top shape and color of the left one and apply it to the right one.
  • I think the one on the right looks better. hair looks like it is more real
  • Reinchard, your avatar is the better indication of what it would look like in hud as it is smaller and looks the most Marine. The buz cut is better in my opinion and says Grunt.
  • The one on the right looks more real. The shape of the top of the head on the left one looks odd.

The face is amazing.
  • http://imgur.com/XYQ6sBt

Here's demo of thing I'm working on a couple of months - a high resolution (8x bigger then original one) Doomguy face for status bar. Demonstration pack contains 31 frames of Doomguy face (without STFL-STFR, they still in progress) and new status bar (face frame is not centered perfectly yet). There is high res font in that pack, but is not mine - for now is that included with Doomsday addons pack (can't find author of this so sorrry for no credit).

This version works with Doomsday (just paste pk3 in tha addons folder and check them in Frontend Addons):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oqiyqr1enudsb3/R_Hud_Stuff_demo.pk3?dl=0
  • Looking really good
  • Really good work there. The only ones I don't "like" that much are the faces for 1-19 HP. In the "original" he looks really "down" and "sad", while yours looks pretty grim and more determined than the original looks to me.

The grin face doesn't look very real though. It seems as if you stretched out the eyebrows and mouth with via photoshop additionally, giving it a very artificial look. It fits though for 1-19 HP

The rest looks very good, also the "Surprise" and "Gritting teeth". The last touch you could add to the 59HP and lower ones would be the bloodlined eyes, if you can make that look natural.
  • Thanks! About grim face - I have much troble here, but is not photoshopped, is modeled:
    JgLRiaS.jpg
    Yesterday I made a few improvements on this one, so maybe it will be look better in next realese.
  • also too he is looking abit down so take that into consideration.
  • I've found a reference for imp HD sprite :)
    A_real_life_imp-s762x599-237096.jpg
  • Reinchard wrote:
    Thanks! About grim face - I have much troble here, but is not photoshopped, is modeled
    I know, just describing what it looked like a little, no insult intended.

Hmm, try to not let him "squint" so much? Open the eyes a little wider maybe. I think it looks a little odd because the eyelid "towards" the nose are too far closed and too wide on the opposite side. Try to even that out?

And for the mouth don't let it open it that wide maybe? The lips closer together? Just some ideas, try to fiddle around a little and see if you like it.

I looked for "grin" in Google Searched and found this (scroll down a little): http://www.robthurman.net/2012/03/29/do ... shinedown/

The current grin rather has a maniac look atm, while it should rather show "evil intentions" imo. But I think your already altered version is getting there.
  • Thanks, I'm still working on it. In meantime I experiment with lighting and gamma. Sprites in demo are too dark IMO especially when I compare this with original hud face, so I test something like this:
    cXCAosw.jpg

Tell me what you think.
  • Compared to the original a little too bright now (just a tad), but better than the previous posted, giving it much more depth.
    The wider eyebrows make the Grin Face look a little better already.
    Maybe just a little bit more color saturation+brightness on the demo version will do?
    Though simply adding saturation is difficult, just tried to apply some on the demo version pictures, but it only looked very unnarutal, rather as if he was sick haha
  • http://imgur.com/V2LLq9N

Thanks for all suggestions! As you can see I reduce gamma a little and change few thing here and there.
    Here is first full version (working with Doomsday, if ZDoom based ports support hires hud I make one compatible with that port too):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59ccmd7h4nb2kxx/R_Hud_Stuff_v1.pk3?dl=0
  • Reinchard wrote:
    if ZDoom based ports support hires hud I make one compatible with that port too
    It does support it, but it is a little cumbersome to do:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwAOMM ... sp=sharing

I took the liberty to prep up a version for you (as seen in the picture). It still has some flaws though (download below).
    The main thing you have to do there, is to do a proper scaling manually. While Doomsday does it on its own, ZDoom cannot achieve that. So you will have to redefine the graphics in the TEXTURES lump of ZDoom and scale them manually as mentioned already.
    Example: Your Highres "STTNUM0" has a resolution of 64x64 pixels. The original however has 14x16.
    So the resulting scaling would be:
    XScale: 4.571428571428571 (64 divided with 14)
    YScale: 4 (64 divided with 16)

This way it will be shown correctly in ZDoom.

Here is a full example for the STTNUM0 as it has to be defined currently to be working correctly in ZDoom
    graphic STTNUM0, 64, 64
    {
    	XScale 4.571428571428571
    	YScale 4
    	Offset 0, 0
    	Patch STTNUM0, 0, 0
    }

You can download the version as seen in the picture here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwAOMM ... sp=sharing

I tried to sort the TEXTURES lumps a little so it is easier for you to follow up on.

Some offsets may not be correct for the keys and the weapon numbers and the face scaling is not 100%, but as said already, it requires some work to do it.
    I made this with the latest GZDoom SVN Build and then tried it on the latest stable ZDoom version. However, in the GZDoom SVN build I had some strange results: As I had only put in (and defined) the graphics for the ammunition. Suddenly, all the grey weapon numbers (as opposed to the selected) were replaced with the ammunition numbers as well, until I (defined and) put in the correct grey ones. So there may be some strange results overall until all patches are actually replaced? May just be the SVN build that has this bug.
  • Thank you so much Milten for this! I launch this with my GZDoom 1.8 and everything looks ok (as you noticed maybe is not 100% perfect scaling, but still looks ok). Problem is that the font I used in pk3 is not mine - thi is font from Doomsday hires pack, but I can't find any info about author. If I had that information I could place relevant credit.
  • Reinchard wrote:
    Thank you so much Milten for this! I launch this with my GZDoom 1.8 and everything looks ok (as you noticed maybe is not 100% perfect scaling, but still looks ok). Problem is that the font I used in pk3 is not mine - thi is font from Doomsday hires pack, but I can't find any info about author. If I had that information I could place relevant credit.
    You're welcome. If you need any further help for making it for ZDoom, feel free to ask me, since I have a little experience with the TEXTURES lump there.

The README on the JDUI says this about creditting:
    jdui Readme

Place in 
    "data/jdoom/auto" for it to load automatically
    or in
    "snowberry/addons" if you want it to be selectable

-DOOM-
    ENDPIC.png		teppo.lahtinen@bh.spt.fi
    PFUB1.png		teppo.lahtinen@bh.spt.fi
    PFUB2.png		teppo.lahtinen@bh.spt.fi
    Victory_2.png		teppo.lahtinen@bh.spt.fi
    everything else		lord-noctrun & chilvence@hotmail.com

-ultimatedoom-
    TITLEPIC.png		chilvence@hotmail.com
    titlepicju2.png		Fak
    m_doom.png		Fak
    m_doomalt.png		Fak

-DOOM2-
    everything else		lord-noctrun & chilvence@hotmail.com

-tnt-
    INTERPIC.png		PimpUigi
    TITLEPIC.png		freelanzer@gmail.com
    M_DOOM.png		freelanzer@gmail.com
    everything else		AllNatural

-Plutonia-
    INTERPIC.png		daniel@ddsdesign.co.uk
    M_DOOM.png		freelanzer@gmail.com
    BOSSBACK_PLU.png	freelanzer@gmail.com
    everything else		AllNatural

-HUD & Font improvement, as well as general bug fixes-
    PimpUigi

-Wad for TNT Interpic-
    Vermil

-HiRes DoomGuy Face
    Mr.Rocket		mrrocket2001@hotmail.com

While in the DEFs files there is this mentioned:
    ---------------------------------------
       - jDoom: Font Patch Replacement -
          by lord-noctrun & Chilvence
    ---------------------------------------
                       &
    	With Final Doom Levels by:AllNatural

-jDoom UI pack Edition-

So the credit for the fonts probably go to lord-noctrun, Chilvence & PimpUigi?

With these you should be able to include all graphics in your version.
  • Thanks again Milten! I allowed myself to post your version on ZDoom and Doomworld forums with all credits. I post another one when I set correct scale.
  • Reinchard your pk3 file link for testing doesn't work any more, just wanted to let you know that. So far reading through all of this there's a great deal of awesome work being done so thank you for making this project come closer to completion.