1.15 Release Candidate 2

edited 2015 Jun 1 in News
We discovered a couple of issues with 1.15 RC1, so here is a new release candidate: 1.15 RC2 (build 1606)

Changes in RC2:
  • Fixed a possible (rare) crash when exiting a map.
  • Fixed a possible crash in the 64-bit version (OS X and Linux) when binding input controls in the game menu.
  • Hexen: Death Wyvern no longer gets stuck in the central pillar of its cave.
  • Hexen: Death Wyvern's fire now appears more glowing and less solid.
  • Hexen: Added a subtle light source on an important secret door.
  • No longer shut down the engine when an XG plane mover related error occurs.
  • Windows: The obsolete wadmapconverter.dll is removed by the installer.

Please report bugs in the Tracker. When reporting bugs, don't forget to mention "1.15 RC2" in the description. Depending on the urgency of discovered issues, we'll evaluate if they will get fixed in new RCs or later patch builds.

You can read more about Doomsday 1.15 (and RC1) in the previous news post.

Comments

• LOL, everything always returns to Hexen. My favorite game of them all. I only wish that more attention was given to it. Especially models.
  • This is awesome, SkyJake! I'm playing it right now and I have not encountered any issues. I will report any issues that I find.
  • RC 2 is crashing on me (Doomsday, not Snowberry) on OS X, even though RC 1 was working fine. Are there any settings to reset, and if that fails what logs should I post?

EDIT: This is what I get when launching Doomsday from the command-line:
    pplication path: /Applications/Doomsday Engine.app/Contents/Doomsday.app/Contents/MacOS/
                      Doomsday
    Created a new 32.0 MB memory volume.
    Config::read: Detected new build: 1598 => 1606
    Executable: Doomsday Engine 1.15.0 [#1606] (Candidate 64-bit) May 26 2015 07:34:06
    Command line options:
      0: /Applications/Doomsday Engine.app/Contents/Doomsday.app/Contents/MacOS/Doomsday
    RenderSystem: Loading shader definitions from read-only archive entry "renderer.pack/
                  shaders.dei" from archive in read-only "(basedir)/net.dengine.client.pack"
    ^ : Loading shader definitions from read-only archive entry "renderer.pack/
        lensflares.pack/shaders.dei" from archive in read-only "(basedir)/
        net.dengine.client.pack"
    Joystick_Init: Joystick name: Logitech Dual Action
    Illegal instruction: 4

• Do you have the log from the OS X crash reporter? It would be good to see a stack trace.
  • Thank you very much for fixing the Death Wyvern getting stuck in the central pillar of its cave. I can now finish this level properly. Indeed it has turned out to be more difficult than I thought now that I have an additional powerful enemy that before was neutralized by being stuck in the pillar.

I hope you know how much we appreciate the immense work that it must take to work on such a large project as the Doomsday Engine in one's spare time. Real life can be very challenging in eating up all of ones energy and time.

Thanks again!
  • skyjake wrote:
    Do you have the log from the OS X crash reporter? It would be good to see a stack trace.
    Sure thing:
    http://pastebin.com/VKTuvJPx
  • HiPhish wrote:
    Interesting, the crash is occurring in the FluidSynth plugin. I'll see if there are any updates available to GLib or FluidSynth that I should apply.

In the mean time, disabling FluidSynth should be a sufficient workaround. (FMOD has basic music support for DLS sound fonts.)
  • John wrote:
    Thank you very much for fixing the Death Wyvern getting stuck in the central pillar of its cave. I can now finish this level properly.
    You're welcome! Glad to hear you are enjoying our efforts. :)
  • @HiPhish: I discovered that the function FluidSynth is calling there has been deprecated by GLib. I made a few tweaks and put together a test build for you: http://skyjake.fi/dl/attachment/doomsda ... ld1611.dmg

Let me know if this one works better.
  • Still crashing.
    Application path: /Applications/Doomsday Engine.app/Contents/Doomsday.app/Contents/MacOS/
                      Doomsday
    Config::read: /packs/net.dengine.stdlib/modules/Config.de is newer than modules/Config,
                  rerunning the script
    ^ : Detected new build: 1598 => 1611
    Executable: Doomsday Engine 1.15.0 [#1611] (Candidate 64-bit) May 31 2015 17:08:00
    Command line options:
      0: ./Doomsday
    RenderSystem: Loading shader definitions from read-only archive entry "renderer.pack/
        net.dengine.client.pack"
    Joystick_Init: Joystick name: Logitech Extreme 3D

Crash report:
    http://pastebin.com/zYF4tByS
  • HiPhish wrote:
    Still crashing.
    Ah, I see there are more deprecated calls being done in the version of the FluidSynth we're using. I fixed those, here's an updated build: http://skyjake.fi/dl/attachment/doomsda ... uidfix.dmg

Any change?
  • Still crashing.
    Application path: /Applications/Doomsday Engine.app/Contents/Doomsday.app/Contents/MacOS/
                      Doomsday
    Config::read: /packs/net.dengine.stdlib/modules/Config.de is newer than modules/Config,
                  rerunning the script
    ^ : Detected new build: 1598 => 1611
    Executable: Doomsday Engine 1.15.0 [#1611] (Candidate 64-bit) May 31 2015 20:19:34
    Command line options:
      0: ./Doomsday
        net.dengine.client.pack"
    Joystick_Init: Joystick name: Logitech Dual Action

http://pastebin.com/q8E9b7sE

What is weird is that RC1 was working just fine. Are there any old settings files I need to purge to make sure there is nothing the new build is choking on?

On an unrelated note, is there a particular reason why you are providing Doomsday as a PKG rather than the usual "drag app into Applications" distribution method? Suspicious Package does not show any installation script.
  • It's crashing because in RC2, I updated the version of GLib. However, it seems I also need to update FluidSynth since it's calling deprecated APIs. It's strange that on my Mac this is running happily without crashes.
    EDIT: Checked the latest FluidSynth, but apparently they haven't yet replaced the use of the deprecated APIs in question. Oh well...

This is the last release with a .pkg installer. We're switching to CMake produced .dmg images with regular draggable applications on them.

The .pkg installer was used so that both Doomsday and the Doomsday Shell applications are installed together side by side, so the Shell can find the engine.
  • Here's a new build: http://skyjake.fi/dl/attachment/doomsda ... ld1612.dmg

Fingers crossed that this took care of all the deprecated calls. Third time's the charm, right? :)
  • Yes, it's working now. Thank you :)