Is hud+weapon bobbing variable? +attract mode/demo question

edited 2009 Oct 30 in DOOM
Is there a way to make it a little less severe? Right now it feels like I'm going over little hills as I walk. I've played Doom and Doom 2 so far so these are the games I notice it in. I seem to remember there was a way to turn it off. I could be wrong. But I don't want to turn it off completely, just tone it down a little. :)

Also is there a way to turn the attract mode/demo back on? Like with the retail versions, at the title screens it would eventually go to an automatic demo of game play if nothing was done. Not a pressing issue, just curious. Always wondered why it didn't do that anymore.

Comments

• Is there a way to make it a little less severe? Right now it feels like I'm going over little hills as I walk. I've played Doom and Doom 2 so far so these are the games I notice it in. I seem to remember there was a way to turn it off. I could be wrong. But I don't want to turn it off completely, just tone it down a little. :)
    The console variable "view-bob-height" determines how high the view bobbing goes. Open the console and type, e.g, "view-bob-height 0.5".
    Also is there a way to turn the attract mode/demo back on? Like with the retail versions, at the title screens it would eventually go to an automatic demo of game play if nothing was done. Not a pressing issue, just curious. Always wondered why it didn't do that anymore.
    Demo recording & playback has been broken for a while now, that's why there's no intro demo.
  • skyjake wrote:
    Demo recording & playback has been broken for a while now, that's why there's no intro demo.

I hate to bring up an old thread, but oh I had a fun idea. I assume this will be fixed in Beta 7 or shortly before/after, eh it doesn't matter. When it's fixed, you guys could start a competition for "the best demo(s)" that could be included in the future all-in-one Resource Pack. You know, for something really fancy that shows off Doomsday to the power of max-awesome.
  • JonusC wrote:
    skyjake wrote:

I hate to bring up an old thread, but oh I had a fun idea. I assume this will be fixed in Beta 7 or shortly before/after, eh it doesn't matter. When it's fixed, you guys could start a competition for "the best demo(s)" that could be included in the future all-in-one Resource Pack. You know, for something really fancy that shows off Doomsday to the power of max-awesome.

I like your idea. Specially since I'm planning to do a LP of Hexen (like if there weren't enough already...) and my port of choice is Doomsday.
  • You know, weapon and camera bobbing might be cool as menu options. Though I'm not sure what menu's I would put them under (maybe "hud").

Raising/lowering them is something IIRC, quite a few users have asked about over the years. It's one of the most commonly given out console commands for lack of better description.
  • weapon bob, yeah it is haha.

Hmm i look forward to camera bob extensions in the post Deng2 developments, AFAIK its not planned but i always hoped Doomsday would have similar capability in damage recoil much like doom 3 or even quake 3; i.e. Getting smacked around when blasted in the face with a shotgun. Of course its a far off thing as its not standard doom behavior, but something interesting to think about. A good way to show-off shader model 2.0 capabilities (the blur/unfocused vision effect).
  • Myself I hate being smacked like this as if being hurt isn't enough. :)
  • Sorry to revive this thread a bit but I would like to add, if the option is there as a default? make it so it is disable for deathmatch.
    I could see it causing problems for DM play.
    Thanks!

Oh and Happy Halloween. ;)