Original Midi Music

edited 2014 May 11 in Heretic
Hi There. Here's the thing: I'm kind of nostalgic about the music, the original midi music of the game I could hear through my old sound blaster, back in pentium... I don't remember wich one. I'd like to hear the original midi music, just like in the old heretic. Is there a way to do this in doomsday engine? I tried changing the sound drivers of the engine, but they all produce the same music, or, at least, it hears the same to me. Can it be done, somehow? Thanks!

Comments

• thats windows or your default os. that said linux and mac can use sound fonts witch the windows version is lacking.
  • I'm sorry, but, could you be more specific, please? I really didn't understand the answer. I'm using windows 7 32 bits.
  • ok being that your using windows you do not have access to "i believe the fluidsynth sound plugin supports the use of sound fonts but only on mac and linux" sound fonts with are instrument packs that temporarily replace the default os midi pack but the windows version of the doomsday engine dose not support the use of sound fonts. the only thing i can recommend it making a music pack that was recorded with the hardware that you wanted. and to be honest if i had to choose the sound of the midi i would choose the windows sound fonts as the SB16/waveblaster dose not sound good to me and yes i do have one hooked up to a computer running free dos.
  • I'm kind of nostalgic about the music, the original midi music of the game I could hear through my old sound blaster, back in pentium... I don't remember wich one. I'd like to hear the original midi music, just like in the old heretic. Is there a way to do this in doomsday engine?
    You might find music packs that replicate what the songs sounded like on your old hardware, such as this one: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-port ... -for-fans/

Of course, MIDI music sounds very different depending on exactly which sound card (and/or soundfonts) were in use.
  • The above link worked like a charm, thanks a lot!!
  • One good thing about ZDoom is that it comes with a couple of built in sound types (OPL emulation etc) and hardcoded support for a few others, if the user downloads the appropriate file (timidity etc). It also has a menu option one can use to toggle between them, though the menu is again hardcoded.

Will Dday one day have a similar setup, albeit minus the hardcoded elements. Say, Dday has a 'soundtypes' folder and any fonts placed in this folder are added to a dynamic in game menu option (I suppose it will be kind of like a simpler version of the planned pwad browser)?

For instance, ZDoom comes with a built in OPL soundtype that makes the music sound like Vanilla does in Dosbox, for me.
  • Vermil wrote:
    For instance, ZDoom comes with a built in OPL soundtype that makes the music sound like Vanilla does in Dosbox, for me.
    From what I know that OPL Emulator (at least one of the many options) in ZDoom is based on the one in DOSBox.