Doom 2 Help.

edited 2014 Jan 30 in DOOM
Hi guys i'm new to the Forums hope i'm posting this in the right section anyway i need some help i have Windows 8 and i have Doom 2 for Steam but for some reason it won't let me play Doom 2 i get a Fullscreen Error every time i start the game so i changed the Compatibility mode to Win95 but it's still not letting me play because of Fullscreen so my question is if i install Doomsday to my Steam Doom 2 will it bypass the fullscreen error or do i need to download a port?

Comments

• I myself would not install Doomsday to Steam, I would just install Doomsday as a stand alone in program files x86 and point snowberry to the proper wads or make a special wad folder in Doomsday and put copies of your wads in that folder and point snowberry to it using the wizard. As for your Doom 2 steam probs, try this discussion from steam forums http://steamcommunity.com/app/2300/disc ... 928623672/
  • Doom 2 works now thank you. But i now have another problem i installed Doomsday to it's own location and put the addons in the snowberry addon folder then i ran the Doomsday program opened the Doom2.WAD file in my steam folder and then added the addon folder i left the game Settings alone and clicked play and now i get a Black Screen with music but no Visuals just sound. Anyway to fix that?

Edit: after watching these Videos i really want to play it i assume he is using the same addons!?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InI0EPOnOb0
  • Is your Doom2 wad from the BFG Edition?
    http://doomwiki.org/wiki/BFG_edition

Doomsday doesn't officially support the altered Doom2 Iwad from the BFG edition and expects a standard Doom2 Iwad.

One difference between the standard Iwad and the BFG Iwad is that the later lacks a title pic graphic and hence is why you are getting a black screen. Simply press escape to open the main menu and start a new game as normal.

Dday should be able to handle all the other changes made to the BFG Iwad (i.e by luck, they don't cause any issues), except the added secret exit on Map02, that takes one to the new Map33 (Map33 wasn't present in standard Doom2), won't work properly. Though one can still warp to Map33 with the level warp cheat if one wishes to see the new level.

It goes without saying that the BFG Iwad also can't be used to play multiplayer against users using the standard Doom2 Iwad, but that is true of most every port except ZDaemon.

In future Deng team will officially support the BFG Iwad and thus the black screen and secret exit will be dealt with.
  • Nah it's just Doom 2 non BFG-Edition i bought the standalone Doom 2 from steam.
  • Could this be the issue then?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1664
  • Re: Steam game support

Doomsday 1.14 (as of build1099) will automatically find any IWADs which you have bought using Steam. Note that the Doomsday Frontend (Snowberry) is ignorant of this fact, however.
  • It will find the Iwad in the Steam folder yes, but Dday doesn't support the BFG Iwad.

On Steam, you can fine both the Standard Iwad and BFG Iwad, depending on what version of Doom2 you purchase.

I assume you can still find the Standard Iwad on Steam anyway; the only Steam version of Doom I have is the BFG edition. My standard Doom2 Iwad comes from a pre-steam retail version.
  • Indeed BFG Edition support is a separate issue. As you noted, Vermil, there are currently some compatibility issues with this edition (such as the missing title screen), however.
  • Here is the link to the Doom 2 i bought as far as i know it's not BFG also i didn't buy the Classic Complete for $14.99 i'll buy that on payday i just Doom 2 because i could afford the $4.99. Still don't understand why i'm getting a black screen for Doom 2!?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2300/
  • Rainman wrote:
    Doom 2 works now thank you. But i now have another problem i installed Doomsday to it's own location and put the addons in the snowberry addon folder then i ran the Doomsday program opened the Doom2.WAD file in my steam folder and then added the addon folder i left the game Settings alone and clicked play and now i get a Black Screen with music but no Visuals just sound. Anyway to fix that?
    This probably belongs in the techsupport section.

Basic troubleshooting - remove all the addons, just enable the default doom2.wad. Make sure your video card drivers are up-to-date. Try windowed mode rather than fullscreen, or select "force a safe resolution".