Setting Up a Dedicated Server

edited 2014 Jan 13 in Technical Support
Question for devs/ doomsday vets-

I'm trying to setup a multiplayer server that's public for me and my friends to play on. I've found the help page for the shell quite useful but I'm still having a few issues. I've also read the FAQ, so I understand it's a work in progress- judging by how the public servers are gone.

I first create a server using the shell, then I do the server-password and server-public 1 commands. I can only seem to connect to my server if I search for it under local host (127.0.0.1). Obviously my friends won't see me from there computers using that method. If any of my friends try to connect via master server list, or I choose it through the master server doomsday will pretty much freeze.
I've tried doing a few things.
- I created a custom firewall rule in windows to allow any connections inbound/outbound for doomsday and doomsday shell
- I created a custom firewall rule that allows port 13209 for both inbound/outbound and both TCP/UDP
- I setup my router to forward anything on port 13209 to my computers address

none of these solved the issue. Not sure if I'm having connectivity issues or if it's just an issue with the shell/engine. I've included a bunch of pictures showing the steps I am taking and my firewall/router rules.

What could I try next?
1_zps44314173.png
2_zps3708eb42.png
3. server looks to be up and running
3_zpsc07ce5ea.png
4. trying to connect via master list will make program hang at this exact spot for a minute before crashing
5c590ca0-012a-4a81-97e0-124cb74e8ef2_zps70db9c7c.png
5. connecting via search on localhost allows me to get in and play perfectly.
c8fe643e-1102-454e-9aaf-1ee5c30e3b2d_zpsea235f8c.png
6. my current setup for 1.12.2
9_zps882bb950.png
7. windows 7 firewall rules inbound
76b27c80-4583-4301-827b-602b56c1451f_zps550e13b3.png
8. windows 7 firewall rules outbound
94bfcfe7-9cfd-4a90-8324-51593b0766a1_zps12d90a9d.png
9. my router port FWD configuration
2a1bc17b-8db2-4204-85a1-3792975952bf_zpsdc698b97.png

Comments

• Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
  • Obviously my friends won't see me from there computers using that method. If any of my friends try to connect via master server list, or I choose it through the master server doomsday will pretty much freeze.
    So, you are saying you can successfully connect locally using 127.0.0.1, however if you try to connect locally using your public IP, it freezes?

That sounds like connections coming in from the public internet are still being blocked by something.

Also, have you verified that your ISP isn't blocking any incoming ports apart from the well-known (e.g.) 80?
  • Yes, that is basically what is happening.(sorry for late response, very nasty week of work.) I use Comcast near Chicago, IL. I don't think any obvious ports are being blocked by the, all of my other games connect fine. I assumed the 13209 port just needed to be open. Any advice on troubleshooting this? I could probably just use Hamachi to establish a solid connection with my peers but I've never really trusted that software. I'm actually a network engineer by trade so feel free to get technical. I would like to resolve this without having to completely disable my firewall and AV while playing.

I've been an avid Doomsday user since 2008 so it's important to me to get on and play with my friends :-) I've been enjoying 1.12.2 a lot, runs very smooth for me.
  • How about you tell your friends your public IP, and connect yourself via 127.0.0.1? So your friend does not have to use any search list. Could you also disable NAT from your router, so your hosting machine would get the public IP directly to its NIC? We played yesterday like that, no problemo!