Music Problems

edited 2009 Aug 23 in Technical Support
I have the 1.9.0 beta 6.5 and the music addons don't work. Only for the menu and sometimes the first level on both DOOM and DOOM2 i check in the console and it says "Mus_start: Couldn't open dd-buffered song for writing. Permision denied". When i don't activate any music addons the music works fine until i get a BSOD (refered to a file called nvapu.sys) when it loops. This happens when i use the sdl_mixer sound driver, but when i use direct sound i get no music.

CPU Specs:
Windows XP SP3
Athlon XP 2600+
ABIT NF7-S
1.2GB RAM
Geforce 6800 XE
Nvidia Sounstorm Apu
the chipset and audio driver version is 5.10

any solutions?

Comments

• BaRyoNyX wrote:
    I have the 1.9.0 beta 6.5 and the music addons don't work. Only for the menu and sometimes the first level on both DOOM and DOOM2 i check in the console and it says "Mus_start: Couldn't open dd-buffered song for writing. Permision denied".
    Wow no idea... could be related to the below one though.
    BaRyoNyX wrote:
    When i don't activate any music addons the music works fine until i get a BSOD (refered to a file called nvapu.sys) when it loops. This happens when i use the sdl_mixer sound driver, but when i use direct sound i get no music.
    Uh oh nVidia onboard audio! Latest nForce drivers installed? Do you have any "Sound Enhancement" programs (e.g. SRS or DFX) running in the background?
  • I have this problem as well. I am not on nForce. On this machine I have a SBLive running the kx drivers. No problems with it that I am aware of.....

I also tried it on my notebook and no go.
    Mus_Start: Couldn't open dd-buffered-song for writing. Permission denied

This is a fresh install of Doomsday 1.9.0 beta 6.5. I tried installing the music two different ways. First by just putting d1music.pk3 into snowberry/addons and also by unarchiving the music and putting it into data/jdoom/music. Both ways gets me title screen music and occasionally music on the first Doom level.

I also tried Heretic and it gives the same error. Only plays menu music.

All default settings except running in a window at 640x480.

I even tried installing OpenAL and using that mode but no sound at all then.
  • OK, indeed this appears to be a bug. I get the same "Mus_Start: Couldn't open dd-buffered-song for writing. Permission denied" no matter what I do.

SDL_mixer has the above message in the log file, although the Title Music works fine upon starting a new game every new level warp creates that error. Also in the runtime folder are the files "dd-buffered-song" and "dd-buffered-song.mid". dd-buffered-song ends up being the MP3 file of the Title Music, which worked. So I think the problem is that Doomsday Engine is 'locking' this file as it's in use, but forgets to release it when it loads the new song for the next map.

Yeah OpenAL has been broken for a while, I think the Dev's were planning to drop it in future.

So is this the bug that should be submitted to the tracker? Engine will not release lock on the file dd-buffered-song when loading a new song?
  • That sounds like a reasonable explanation for the issue but I have no idea if it's correct or not. :) Maybe it would be better to be a little less specific (just mention the dd-buffered-song message) but add the locked file suspicion as a possible explanation or hint.
  • Oh yeah definately, I don't even know if "lock" is the right word anyway haha no need to assume things.

Well I was reading about how the DengDevs were apaprently migrating the repository from SourceForge to a completely new website so I have no idea where to submit new bugs to "the tracker" now.... *facepalm*
  • JonusC wrote:
    So is this the bug that should be submitted to the tracker? Engine will not release lock on the file dd-buffered-song when loading a new song?
    While I haven't looked into this yet, it does sound possible that if the file is left open an error such as this might occur.
    JonusC wrote:
    Well I was reading about how the DengDevs were apaprently migrating the repository from SourceForge to a completely new website so I have no idea where to submit new bugs to "the tracker" now.... *facepalm*
    We're still using the SourceForge bug tracker as before. Only the source code repository was migrated, and merely to another version control system (it's still at SourceForge).
  • Oh so you're just not using SVN anymore? I've never used Git i'll have to find a way to checkout - usually I use TortoiseSVN and/or NetBeans for subversion stuff.

Added to tracker - https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=542099
  • That's right, Subversion is no longer in use. TortoiseGit is probably the easiest way to go, but it's still in development. Personally I use the command-line Git tools.
  • Tah... easy stuff, nothing I love more than batch files <:-P
  • File locking would indeed be a plausible explanation. Most likely Doomsday is failing to instruct the audio playback interface to stop before trying to (over)write the buffered music file(s) so depending on SDL_mixer's internals, it may still have the file open.
  • i found a workaround for this bug... O:-)
    u must convert the music files .mp3,.ogg or whatever
    to .WAV
    the size becomes huge but it works
    this points to the possible cause of the problem
    its possible that the audio decoding that the program uses is not working :(
    i advise changing the built-in audio decoder to test it :P
    it is of note that i tested this on ver 6.5beta and that it ONLY worked with the SDL_mixer

P.S: i used CDex to convert the files

P.S II: in case more info is required mail me =))

P.S III: please forgive my english my gramar is somewhat lousy =))
  • When I turn the "environment" addon on, it disables the music. The sound effects work fine, but the only music that is played is the music in between levels when it shows the number of items, kills, and secrets.

I remember that 1.9.0 beta 5 didn't have this issue.

Is this a bug? Or are the addons starting to become outdated? Are there any others who have this issue?
  • This is a well known issue with that particular addon. The problem is that it omits specifying the music when it overrides the map info. This wasn't an issue in older versions because jDoom and jHeretic had hardcoded defaults that they could fall back on.

This issue will be resolved only by updating the offending addon.
  • Dani(or anyone else), can you give me an example of what is wrong and how to correct it and I will fix the pack and then upload the new version.
    Thanks
  • I think what DaniJ means is that the environment pack fails to specify what music lump is assigned to the Map. As such the music is still loaded/recognized in jDoom, but come E2M2 it doesn't even realize that "d_runnin" should be triggered to play. I think. So it needs that extra attribute/assignment in the env pack as it's no longer optional but mandatory.

Say we have this...
    # jDoom: Music and Sound Effects
    Header { Version = 6; }
    skipif not Doom2-plut
    #####====--- MUSIC ---====#####
    Music { ID = "None"; }
    Music { ID = "runnin"; Lump = "D_RUNNIN"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\Doom1\d_e1m2.mp3"; }
    Music { ID = "stalks"; Lump = "D_STALKS"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\Doom1\d_e1m3.mp3"; }
    {etcetera}

...what happens if we change the first levels' Music def. to...
    Music { ID = "MAP01"; Lump = "D_RUNNIN"; Ext = "Data\jDoom\Music\Doom1\d_e1m2.mp3"; }

If the ID is the lump name of the original map in the WAD will it work? I can't find anything about Map-to-music assignments on the Wiki :\

Note: The above code was taken from my personal all-in-one music addon pk3 file
  • In order to update the jDEP the Map Info definitions need to have the Music, Par Time and Name values copied from the default Map Info definitions (in jDoom.pk3). Ideally, the method used for defining the skies should be updated also, making use of the new Sky definitions rather than duplicating the same configuration many times over.

For example, here follows the Map Info for DOOM2::MAP01 taken from jdep-all-20080614.pk3:
    Map Info {
      ID = "MAP01";
      Name = "Level 1: Entryway";
      Author = "id Software";
      Flags = "mif_fog";
      Fog color R = 0.2;
      Fog color G = 0.3;
      Fog color B = 0.4;
      Fog start = 128;
      Fog end = 2000;
      Fog density = 0.0001;
      Gravity = 1;

#Sky Model Setup
      Sky Model
        {
            ID = "D2S1Side1";
            Frame interval = 0;
            Offset factor { 0 0 0};
            Rotate {0 0};
            Yaw = 0;
            Yaw speed = 0;
        };

Sky Model
        {
            ID = "D2S1Side2";
            Frame interval = 0;
            Offset factor { 0 0 0};
            Rotate {0 0};
            Yaw = 0;
            Yaw speed = 0;
        };

Sky Model
        {
            ID = "D2S1Side3";
            Frame interval = 0;
            Offset factor { 0 0 0};
            Rotate {0 0};
            Yaw = 0;
            Yaw speed = 0;
        };

Sky Model
        {
            ID = "D2S1Side4";
            Frame interval = 0;
            Offset factor { 0 0 0};
            Rotate {0 0};
            Yaw = 0;
            Yaw speed = 0;
        };

Sky Model
        {
            ID = "D2S1Side5";
            Frame interval = 0;
            Offset factor { 0 0 0};
            Rotate {0 0};
            Yaw = 0;
            Yaw speed = 0;
        };

Sky Model
        {
            ID = "D2S1Side6";
            Frame interval = 0;
            Offset factor { 0 0 0};
            Rotate {0 0};
            Yaw = 0;
            Yaw speed = 0;
        };

# Default sky Sphere settings

# Z Height Defaults for:
      # Sky Sphere	 (default = 0.49)
      # Horizon Offset (default = -0.105)
      Sky height = 0.49;
      Horizon offset = -0.105;

# Sky Sphere
      Sky Layer 1 {
    	 Flags = "slf_enable";
    	 Texture = "SKY1";
      };
    }

Updating this with the required missing values (taken from jdoom.pk3 ./defs/jdoom/doom2maps.ded) and reworking the way the sky is configured results in the following (note that I've cleaned it up and removed a few syntax errors in the process):
    Sky {
      ID = "sky1";
      Height = 0.49;
      Horizon offset = -0.105;

Model {
        ID = "D2S1Side1";
        Frame interval = 0;
        Offset factor { 0 0 0};
        Rotate {0 0};
        Yaw = 0;
        Yaw speed = 0;
      }

Model {
        ID = "D2S1Side2";
        Frame interval = 0;
        Offset factor { 0 0 0};
        Rotate {0 0};
        Yaw = 0;
        Yaw speed = 0;
      }

Model {
        ID = "D2S1Side3";
        Frame interval = 0;
        Offset factor { 0 0 0};
        Rotate {0 0};
        Yaw = 0;
        Yaw speed = 0;
      }

Model {
        ID = "D2S1Side4";
        Frame interval = 0;
        Offset factor { 0 0 0};
        Rotate {0 0};
        Yaw = 0;
        Yaw speed = 0;
      }

Model {
        ID = "D2S1Side5";
        Frame interval = 0;
        Offset factor { 0 0 0};
        Rotate {0 0};
        Yaw = 0;
        Yaw speed = 0;
      }

Model {
        ID = "D2S1Side6";
        Frame interval = 0;
        Offset factor { 0 0 0};
        Rotate {0 0};
        Yaw = 0;
        Yaw speed = 0;
      }
    }

Map Info {
      ID = "MAP01";
      Name = "HUSTR_1";
      Author = "id Software";
      Music = "runnin";
      Par time = 30;
      Sky = "sky1";
      Flags = fog;
      Fog color R = 0.2;
      Fog color G = 0.3;
      Fog color B = 0.4;
      Fog start = 128;
      Fog end = 2000;
      Fog density = 0.0001;
      Gravity = 1;
    }

By moving the sky configuration into a separate Sky definition, the same configuration can then be referenced in any number of Map Info definitions. For example, the DOOM2::MAP02 definition can now be simplified to the following:
    Map Info {
      ID = "MAP02";
      Name = "HUSTR_2";
      Author = "id Software";
      Music = "stalks";
      Par time = 90;
      Sky = "sky1";
      Flags = fog;
      Fog color R = 0.2;
      Fog color G = 0.2;
      Fog color B = 0.2;
      Fog start = 128;