Can't have both 5.1 & music??

edited 2009 Aug 3 in Technical Support
Hello, I just recently found this program, love all the Doom games. I'd love to play these again with upgraded textures & such...

However upon installing everything, there's just one problem I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere...

No surround sound.... except When I select SDL_mixer, I get full 5.1 surround....with NO music.
However if I select DirectSound I get music, & no surround sound.

What's the magic combination to get this working? I appreciate all the hard motivated work to do all this... I just rather play vanilla zDoom I downloaded that works flawlessly, except the fancy textures & lighting...

I just want surround sound with music!!! UGH...
Thanks for any answers.

Comments

• It is not possible at present to have both at the same time with the current beta releases of Doomsday. It is know issue that will be addressed in a future release.

Your best bet if you simply can't live without surround sound is to download the current stable release of Doomsday, version 1.8.6 and use that instead.
  • Thanks for the quick reply..

I tried that, managed to find a copy of that release, but still suffers from the music always being %100 no matter what..
    I get surround, but the music is too overwhelming to hear anything else.... :?

As another member mentioned in a previous post, Doomsday (v 1.7.14) worked flawlessly...

I however could not find this anywhere on the net thus far.

Seems I'll have to play with the music "muted"..still manage to get beautiful 5.1 & a better DOOM experience.

If anyone has that version, I'd like to test it out!!!

Thanks everyone..
  • 1.8.6 version was released 4 years ago. Some modern mods does not work with this version or lead to the crash game.
    4 years I wait a new version with music and sound 5.1. Every month I visit a site and read path notes and waiting for a line "music now works with 5.1 sound systems". Is this a problem that it can not be fixed for 4 years?
  • 1000D wrote:
    4 years I wait a new version with music and sound 5.1. Every month I visit a site and read path notes and waiting for a line "music now works with 5.1 sound systems". Is this a problem that it can not be fixed for 4 years?
    And now you want your money back, right?
  • 1000D wrote:
    1.8.6 version was released 4 years ago. Some modern mods does not work with this version or lead to the crash game.

http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title= ... sion_1.8.6

From that point on, you can check the release notes if you'd like. There really is a lot that was going on from there til now with the engine. I think what's going on is that we're kind of "putting all our eggs in one basket" with the new engine that's to be coming out at 2.0... The most important issues are being worked on first, and with all the work and life-related problems that have been along the way, there wasn't much time to be like a full-time programmer with all of this stuff. Please understand that the music is not a fundamentally necessary part to the engine. Not to say that it won't be fixed, but it IS on the queue, along with other errors. The main focus now for SkyJake (original developer) is, if I understand correctly, putting most of his efforts towards libdeng2, which you won't really notice all too much as being worked on probably. Not until it starts really having a good effect on everything, anyway! DaniJ (a developer that came after) is having things in his life that is prohibiting him from spending much time on it of late. Believe that they're doing what they can, and they really do want to please everyone, but it's difficult.
  • My official position on this matter is that there is a number of much more critical issues to be addressed before the audio. Currently my main focus in on getting the networking right. And this time it isn't just a matter of spit & polish on the old code, it's revising the architecture of the engine to be a true client/server system with no compromises.

As far as the audio is concerned, IMO the only Right Way is to go with FMOD Ex, and that's scheduled right after the networking is done.

And the 4 years? Personally I haven't put any serious effort into Doomsday for the past couple of years. The old codebase has just felt like a dead end -- no potential for true advancement. Now I can say there is new-found motivation due to libdeng2, thanks to the switch to a more powerful programming language (C++) and a new perspective on the engine as a whole. Motivation is key in hobby projects: without it nothing happens.

I am mindful of the fact that large architectural changes can take a long time, but we'll be striving to deliver the new 2.0 stuff in as small increments as makes sense -- giving you a couple of eggs at a time, so to speak.
  • exzeth wrote:
    Hello, I just recently found this program, love all the Doom games. I'd love to play these again with upgraded textures & such...

However upon installing everything, there's just one problem I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere...

No surround sound.... except When I select SDL_mixer, I get full 5.1 surround....with NO music.
    However if I select DirectSound I get music, & no surround sound.

What's the magic combination to get this working? I appreciate all the hard motivated work to do all this... I just rather play vanilla zDoom I downloaded that works flawlessly, except the fancy textures & lighting...

I just want surround sound with music!!! UGH...
    Thanks for any answers.

That's odd.. my problem is reversed. I get no music with DirectSound, but I get music with SDL_mixer.

Aside from that, I appreciate the time and effort the developers are putting into this engine. Things to remember though:

1) Music and 3D Sounds were working flawlessly with previous releases. If it worked back then, there's no reason as to why you can't get it to work now.

2) Personally, I feel music is just as important to me as anything else. The signature music was part of the original DooM experience we all enjoyed years ago. Not having functional music playback breaks the experience for me. As for the "3D Sounds" bug, which apparently hasn't been acknowledged yet (No, 3D Sounds Does Not work with DirectSound), I can live without it. It wasn't part of the original Doom, therefore I don't see it as a priority. As I stated above though, it was working flawlessly before, so it should work now.

I'm in no rush to play Doom. This game is old as dust. I have other things going on in my life that are more important. So I will patiently wait and hope these issues will get ironed out in the future releases. :]
  • http://www.dengine.net/blog/?p=205

Just a bit of context for you. These changes are not trivial, and breakages will happen. But the final result should work better than the previous one. Just because something used to work doesn't mean it was the best solution. :)
  • Thanks for all the information on this topic.

From where it stands now, I'm fine dealing with having to mute the music (because of the volume bug).

At least I have 5.1 surround. As I said earlier, another program that I use with the same WAD files worked fine - it used FMOD for midi....though it's the complete vanilla DOOM series. None of the special features & graphics that comes with the Doomsday engine, which I prefer more.

I'm glad I can play this again with this engine. Better effect & surround - I'm a happy gamer.

Looking forward to seeing further development on this engine to enhance games like DOOM even more!! :thumb: