Hi

edited 2009 Aug 7 in Off-Topic
You will be able to get several nice free themes & styles to phpBB at http://www. themesbase.com/?category=phpBB

[edit: kurikai] disabled making url clickable in case it's advertising post by bot

Comments

• Uh, I think this is a spam bot?

If not, I think the current phpBB theme is nice. It's lite and clean and looks good.
  • When I get back home (this saturday) i will start work on the forums again, to make it match the wip site
  • I was the guinea pig and dove into the site. There are a bunch of themes there, as stated, and I didn't notice anything suspicious. I downloaded one, and it just had .phps and a css file in it. Even so, I'm sure what we're looking for is a custom theme, right? :D
  • I also like the current forum theme very much and am not desperate for a change at all, except for the ugly smilies. If you're going for a different look please make it optional, so we are able to choose from different themes. Thanks. :)
  • Most likely our custom forum theme won't be too different from the current one. In practice the most noticeable difference will be to compact the layout so that we make better use of screen real estate and icon graphic changes (including said offensive smilies).
  • DaniJ wrote:
    In practice the most noticeable difference will be to compact the layout
    IMO this theme isn't wasting screen real estate. Just hoping it's not going to be too compact...
  • I'm not bothered by the theming. It's clean and pretty consistent with the main page except for the orange. And what bad smileys? They all look OK.
  • I love these smileys, they are kyute :yay:
  • yeah, but what about the grin?
    "Don't mind grin-face... he's simple" :D
    he is a little wall-eyed...

The caco smilies on the NewDoom.com forums were kind of cute, too... They should make a caco stressball! Like one of those doggie chewtoys!

What style of smiley would you guys like? If we can all agree on something, perhaps a certain someone (anyone) might be encouraged to chip in and make some! ;)

EDIT: After all, the more work we can take off of the devs, the better!
  • Psychikon wrote:
    "Don't mind grin-face... he's simple" :D
    /ME LOL'd IRL @ ^^^

HA! Yeah.... I guess the cutesy emoticons are "offensive" (?) afterall, considering what the Forum is about... the most bloody controversial game to ever hit the PC! Wait maybe Wolf3D...

...i've been known to dabbleyround in the iconificationified designerings of miscellaneous assortedments (a quick, somewhat unimpressive example : my avatar) so if anyone has ideas I could do some up :D

It wouldn't be any trouble. I do build websites and templates for various other things so if they would turn out to be not ideal then they'll be recycled to somewhere else eventually :crazy: but yeah, i'm willing to create some Doomsday-exclusive emotion-icon-graphika for the masses if they think it'd be Doomy enough for them...
  • There, I have fixed the icons :)
  • KuriKai wrote:
    There, I have fixed the icons :)
    Yay! =)) Much better, thanks.

And please stay away off multi-frame (i.e. animated) smilies, avatars and signatures. They are consuming bandwidth, energy, hard drive space and are unnecessarily distracting from the content, at times are even disturbing or offensive.
  • Nice job, they are good detail and just small enough to not push out the linespace gap :)