Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.5 Released

edited 2009 Aug 29 in News
Version 1.9.0-beta6.5 has been uploaded to SourceForge.net and should be available for download very soon. Release notes are in the wiki as usual: http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title= ... .0-beta6.5

Let us know if there are any issues. For this Win32 release there is a couple of unknown factors (updated dependencies, Python 2.6 for Snowberry) plus the release was compiled on my system instead of DaniJ's, so there may be some glitches that I missed. If so, I'll post updated packages.

Comments

• I was reading the release notes for this release,,for the texture problem fixed with the solid colors, I hope it fixes the problem that I been having with the other new releases with hexen showing black around the center fire instead of the cage around it,and when breaking the glass in the room also showed black. the older 1.9.0 beta 5 did not have this problem.

my system is

amd phenome 3.0 ghz
    ati 4870
    vista 64bit
  • Well, if it doesn't fix it, please post some screenshots of what the issue looks like and I can investigate.
  • DaniJ/skyjake, do you guys look at bug reports for individual WADs under Doomsday?

The WAD I am working on (which is supposed to be compatible with all source ports of Doom, including Vanilla Doom), behaves very differently and incorrectly in 1.9.0 betaX than it does from 1.8.6.
  • Just updated to 6.5 and got this error. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling and i get the same issue.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3600/31866473.jpg
  • cuber351 wrote:
    Just updated to 6.5 and got this error. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling and i get the same issue.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3600/31866473.jpg
    Are you running 64-bit Vista?

If so, I know what the problem is about but I'll have to look into how to configure snowberry.exe's manifest so that it'll work. Until then, you won't be able to run Snowberry. Launching Doomsday.exe directly should still work.
  • yeah its 64 bit vista ultimate
    running dooomsday.exe gives me this error: "loadGamePlugin: No game library was specified."
  • Please find below my findings with the current release of Doomsday v1.9.0 beta 6.5:

1. HUD items (armor, health pack, ammo) are scaled incorrectly, i.e. they appear vertically slightly stretched. This bug was introduced with Doomsday v1.9.0 beta 6.2.

SourceForge bug ticket
    2. Start new game, select difficulty level in skill menu, pressing Enter will still play a second sound (switch sound) after the usual shot sound.

SourceForge bug ticket
    3. The debris effect of DaniJ's exploding Nukebarrel doesn't show up anymore.
    4. Levels with complex architecture elements causes the framerate to decrease quite extremely.

Example: Newdoom Community Project PWAD ndcp.wad, Map 06.
    5. For some levels the framerate slowly decreases to 0 fps and doesn't recover anymore. I'm required to reload/restart the level to compensate.

Example: Newdoom Community Project PWAD ndcp.wad, Map 03.

When I additionally use my Water-FX definition I witness this effect more often and the slowdown happens even sooner.

Overall the performance of Doomsday appears to have increased since the previous release.
    Please let me know if you want me to submit bug tickets for items 3, 4 and 5.

Thank you Skyjake and DaniJ. :thumb:

P.S.: Why was the option to attach images disabled? Also posting external links to images is currently prohibited.
  • I installed 6.5, now when I launch Doomsday I get this error message:

"C:\Program Files\Doomsday\snowberry\snowberry.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

?
  • nikavelli wrote:
    I installed 6.5, now when I launch Doomsday I get this error message:

"C:\Program Files\Doomsday\snowberry\snowberry.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

?
    Which version of Windows are you running? 32 or 64 bit?
  • I've repackaged the Windows release using Python 2.5 and uploaded it to SourceForge. If you experienced problems starting snowberry.exe or there was some other glitches with the launcher, try redownloading (file dated August 1). The Doomsday build has not changed (same one as yesterday).
  • Well, so much for checking out Heretic looking gorgeous. It segfaults! Firstly, the command for starting Doomsday.
    $ doomsday -game jheretic -iwad ~/rom/iwad/heretic.wad -width 1280 -height 800 -bpp 32

Now the relevant part of the terminal output.
    Parsing configuration files.
    W_Init: Init WADfiles.
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/doomsday.pk3
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/jheretic.pk3
    W_AddFile: /home/zander/rom/iwad/heretic.wad
      IWAD identification: 00ea102d
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/e2endpcx.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fonta00.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fonta60.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fonta61.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fonta62.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fonta63.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fontb00.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fontb59.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fontb60.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fontb61.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fontb62.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/fontb63.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/mapmask.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/menufog.lmp
    W_AddFile: /usr/local/share/deng/data/jheretic/auto/.basedata/pal18to8.lmp
    W_AddFile: ERROR: jheretic not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 1280 not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 800 not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 32 not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: jheretic not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 1280 not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 800 not found!
    Reading definition file: /usr/local/share/deng/defs\doomsday.ded
    Reading definition file: /usr/local/share/deng/defs/jheretic/jheretic.ded
    Reading definition file: jheretic
    Reading definition file: /home/zander/rom/iwad/heretic.wad
    Reading definition file: 1280
    Reading definition file: 800
    Reading definition file: 32
    Definitions:
      128 sprite names
     1222 states
      161 things
       12 lights
      142 sound effects
       22 songs
      210 text strings
        1 particle generators
        2 animation groups
        4 surface decorations
        8 surface materials
       49 map infos
        3 skies
        6 finales
    B_Init: Init bindings.
    R_Init: Init the refresh daemon.
    Segmentation fault

Doom and Hexen work fine with similar arguments, even though they come up with the same "No 1280 and no 800 and 32" error messages. So maybe it's a different bug. I don't know if this happens in 6.4, because I skipped that one.

I also tried it in my ia32 chroot, which I keep for specific emulators. It comes up with the same silly warnings about 1280. Instead of segfaulting, Heretic manages to get to the title screen, but it freezes there, and has to be kill'd. Doom starts up and loads a map, but the minute I try firing a shot, or pick up a different weapon it freezes, and again, needs to be kill'd. IOW, the host works better.

Small feature request: A "make uninstall" command to complement "make install".

And, thanks for implementing mouse unlocking. Though at the moment it only works in the control panel. It's much appreciated. :)
  • That output looks decidedly similar to that in this report: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=542099

However I note that you are both using completely different systems and that g6672D is not using Snowberry.
  • W_AddFile: ERROR: jheretic not found!

It's trying to load jheretic as a file even though the argument is before -file (i.e., -iwad) on the command line. That's pretty odd...
  • Problem Fixed! :yay:
  • Joe95ec wrote:
    Problem Fixed! :yay:
  • No music playback when using "DirectSound".

Enabling "3D Sounds" from the audio control panel cancels out most of the in-game sound effects.
  • nikavelli wrote:
    No music playback when using "DirectSound".

Enabling "3D Sounds" from the audio control panel cancels out most of the in-game sound effects.

That's a known issue, it will be fixed in later releases.

If you enable "3D Sounds" just restart Doomsday and sound should work fine.

Heretic works fine for me, but I get the same errors:
    W_AddFile: ERROR: C:\Programme\Doomsday not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: C:\Programme\Doomsday\snowberry\runtime not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 16 not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 1600 not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 1200 not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: jHeretic.dll not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: C:\Programme\Doomsday not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: C:\Programme\Doomsday\snowberry\runtime not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 16 not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 1600 not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: 1200 not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: jHeretic.dll not found!

• Sorry to stress anyone, but when will LAN support be enabled ???

Bloody, 1.8.6 is a total wash... Crashing every time we add Texture Wads, to many Sector Violations...

The newer looks promising, and we would love to use it instead of 1.8.6 thats to buggy...

Thanks... :)
  • I just tried a few versions. In 6.3, Heretic worked fine. In 6.4 and 6.5 it segfaults at startup. 6.5 is where the command line bug started occuring, ie: treating all arguments as files to add.
  • Milten wrote:
    If you enable "3D Sounds" just restart Doomsday and sound should work fine.

This procedure does nothing. There is no difference in sound quality (i.e. no reverb). All you are doing is bugging out the GUI to make it show that "3D Sounds" are enabled, when in fact it is not.

The "3D Sounds" bug has been reported by other users on the http://www.doomsdayhq.com forums. Apparently, it was introduced with a previous release of Doomsday.
  • The "3D sounds" option has only ever worked in conjunction with the Windows-only DirectSound plugin. Any other configuration and this option will have virtually no effect.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    The "3D sounds" option has only ever worked in conjunction with the Windows-only DirectSound plugin. Any other configuration and this option will have virtually no effect.

Apparently, you did not read my post in the tech support forum. Let me quote it for you:
    nikavelli wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:
    The 3D sound option only works in conjunction with DirectSound.

I am using DirectSound and it is not working.
  • Weird, for me it works fine.

Do you have EAX enabled?
  • 3D sound does work, but not the EAX effects. This is easily to notice when comparing with the v1.9.0 beta 6.0 SVN-6160 released by KuriKai or the good old v1.8.6.
  • Milten wrote:
    Weird, for me it works fine.

Do you have EAX enabled?

How do I check to see if EAX is enabled and/or where is the option to turn it on/off? I was under the assumption that the "3D Sounds" option was a EAX switch.
  • View the log file doomsday.out located in Doomsday's main folder and do a search for the string "EAX".
  • Another problem: Instant segfault when I move the selection over to Random Class in jHexen. And I did notice the clipping issue when I got stuck in one of the fireball shooters in Winnowing Hall.
  • i have a problem with the sky, i think is my video card
    but everything else is fine working 100%
  • Joe95ec wrote:
    i have a problem with the sky, i think is my video card
    but everything else is fine working 100%

Screenshot?

Hmmm I don't recall the Wiki listing any changes to Vista/7 and configuration location, but now my settings are stored at C:\Users\JC\Documents\Doomsday Frontend\ but i've actually changed my Documents location to E:\JC\ (via the standard Windows method) so i'm guessing the %UserProfile%\Documents was a hard-coded string....

...I assume this was to prevent UAC issues. Is there a quick way I can return to the old method since I have full write access to my install folder? Oh nevermind I got it, run snowberry.exe in XP compat. mode....

EDIT: It's in library.zip\wx\_misc.pyc - "Return the Documents directory for the current user" GetDocumentsDir, for some reason that Python function (?) doesnt get the right path. It really should be getting it from here:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
    "Personal"="E:\\JC"

or, perhaps even...
    "{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43B0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}"="E:\\JC\\My Games"

;)