DHTP (DOOM high resolution texture project)

Comments

• Anything is better than a quickly smudged original. :p
  • As long as it is more detailed.
  • I'm currently using the pack deng-dhtp-20101225.pk3 for testing purposes and I noticed that fireblu1.png and fireblu2.png are in the base of the /textures subdirectory. This means they'll be used when playing Plutonia, however this game replaces those textures with a slimy rock animation. Consequently the result in-game is a cyclic >fireblu > slimy rock animation.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I'm currently using the pack deng-dhtp-20101225.pk3 for testing purposes and I noticed that fireblu1.png and fireblu2.png are in the base of the /textures subdirectory. This means they'll be used when playing Plutonia, however this game replaces those textures with a slimy rock animation. Consequently the result in-game is a cyclic >fireblu > slimy rock animation.

I noticed this too, and fixed it for my version!
  • We now have a way to report bugs in the dhtp. This will allow me to find out about simple problems and get them fixed making the pack better than ever.
    Report bugs here http://dhtp.freelanzer.com/?page_id=226
  • The hi-res version of CEIL4_1 follows the same patter of the original texture, as seen below (it's a bit dark):

ceil41.pngceil41.png

But the hi-res version of FLOOR1_6 doesn't follow the same patter, as that texture is just a red version of the other one:

floor16.pngfloor16.png

With a bit of color editing, that can be done:

floor16.pngfloor16.png
  • I think this is one of those instances where you can't do a 1:1 interpretation of the original texture. To me, this texture is supposed to look like thick pile carpet. Agree? If so, you can't simply translate the pattern on the texture because the original texture was a compromise to begin with, as the artist was not able to draw individual loops in the pile (due to the texture being so low res). The artist had to suggest the pile rather than draw it.

With that said, however, this same texture may have been used for any number of different purposes (brick, clay, painted metal, etc...). This is a problem when approaching a high resolution version of any non-de-script texture because if you make it look too much like what you think it is, you will very likely jar with another person's interpretation.

Textures like this are tough prospect for a high resolution pack. Its a case of deciding whether you want to respect its non-de-script nature, or impose more clarity of design.
  • Good spotting FAK, and thanks. The new version will be in the next texture pack
  • I agree that sometimes it's difficult to interpret the texture. But in this case, i was being more pragmatic: those textures are the same, so they could be the same in the pack too.
    To try to get a better view, sometimes you can see how the developers used the texture, sometimes the name helps, sometimes you can try to see it over the floor. The blue one for instance could be water. That would make the red one blood.
  • If my limited memory serves, the blue one is a blue carpet, and the red one is a red carpet.
    Except that the blue one is at times used in tech-like areas, because deep blue just looks cool along with it.
    And the fact that they also kinda look like wires.
  • Here is a new STEP5.

Made entirely from scratch. I must also mention this is my first texture from scratch. I tried to make the brown squares look like paneling

EDIT: Here is a version that has a little more symmetry and one with some roughness. (Top and bottom, respectively):
  • It would be nice if someone could work on that one texture that appears in the map 'Suburbs' in Doom II (the texture consists of bloody ribs and skulls stacked in what is supposed to be piles). Even though it is very low res, it is still kind of spooky. It is one of the seemingly few textures that hasn't ever been upgraded. It appears when you open each of the four doors on each side of that small building with one of the doors allowing the player to walk through even though it is also covered with that texture. In the building, you can find the BFG. If I encounter the texture in another level of the custom wad I'm currently playing (Armadosia), I will take a screenshot and post it here.

Edit: Ok, I found a video on youtube of suburbs and was able to take a screenshot of the texture and save it in paint. Please someone work on it. Here it is:
  • IMO the problem with remaking that texture is that there are too many objects squished together into a single image to interpret what's what.

On the topic of unmade textures, I feel we should bring some focus onto remaking some skies. because seeing Doom 1's Sky 2 overlap into Doom 2's city levels is kinda getting old. (and Doom 1 Sky 2 should be remade as it looks unfaithful.)
  • I don't know. The texture I posted looks to be a priority. I can easily tell what it is. Just look at each part carefully if you need to for a minute. They are a bunch of skulls, a couple of bloody leg bones, and a few ribs and maybe a back bone. How is it hard to see what it is? Also in my post above, I said what it was. A pile of mostly skulls and a few other bones.
  • I know it's a pile of bloody skulls and bones but what I'm trying to get across is that there are so many tiny objects stuffed into the texture and rotated at various angles that it might make the texture difficult to attempt.

Anyways, I adjusted my version of STEP5. The brown panels are more even in size and darkened the bottom edge of them:
  • Silly question but how can I view the attachment enlarged and just the attachment itself? No matter where I click, even clicking the picture itself, it doesn't link me to a zoomed image of the texture attached.
  • edited 2012 Jan 24
    It's only 128x64, so that's the full size of it.
    Also, this is tedious.

RGHGu.png
    Edit: Some more skulls.
  • @ Gary
    For reference, the original STEP5 was 32x16.

@ Flynn95
    I always thought the lighter area in the top row of the original was from a small light rather than just shine (which you've also duplicated on the bottom row).
  • So just because that skull texture is tedious means no one will even bother to attempt it ever? It is a neat texture and I'm sure there have been other textures that have been done that were also tedious. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see that texture someday get up to more modern detail.

Edit: Also kind of strange that a few of those skulls are higher detailed than the rest with multiple ones being placed on the mid to upper part of the texture. It is like some of the texture is higher res than the rest.
  • Do you realise how selfish that sounds? You are implying that someone who is not enjoying working on it should continue to do so for your benefit. If it bothers you that much, why don't you take a stab at it yourself?
  • If I sounded selfish, I didn't mean to. I admit I do sound demanding at times.

Also, texture artists enjoy doing it. That's why they do what they do. I'm not the texture expert so I couldn't be of any use. I just thought that the ultimate goal of the texture project was to get every texture done someday. Maybe that texture will get done someday. Maybe that skull texture is the most difficult texture of them all. I don't know. So maybe it is the last priority after all other texture are done.

I am thankful for the work being done, but if certain texture 'never' get done, it would be a bummer.
  • I won't exactly say I enjoy doing this, but I think a better idea would be to make every skull bony, and then apply the bloodying afterwards. Because honestly, pure red just confuses me. (Which is quite evident.)
  • IMHO, this would be better served by rendering a model. Skulls are available on Blendswap, it would mean painting several different UV maps, then posing and rendering. If you did it in the Free Blender, you could use the cycles renderer and it would look rather nice.

There is a really tasty one here... http://www.blendswap.com/blends/characters/skull-2/
  • I would think that the pink and red ones would have meat and blood left on them, you know what I mean?
  • A bit of un-chewed space marine :D
  • But you have to admit that it is a neat and spooky texture ;) Maybe the Suburbs is the only map that it appears on out of all canon Doom maps. The texture should have been used more often since it must have been harder to make. Also, kind of odd how some parts of the texture are much clearer than others.
  • You do realize that the higher resolution skulls were added by Bloax?

Originally, he was going to make a hi-res version by replacing the skulls 1 by 1. That image represented his progress on that before he changed his mind and decided to approach it a different way.
  • I wondered if some were redone by someone. It is excellent that it is being worked on. Thumbs up.
  • Well, I haven't touched it since the day I posted it. But here's how the latest one looks:
    1AJAm.pngTufpk.png
    And I think I'll just keep on doing it the same way, hilariously bad stuff guaranteed somewhere.

Edit: More recent on the right.