loadGamePlugin: No game library was specified.

regreg
edited 2012 Jan 1 in Technical Support
When I click "play" button in the launcher, an error message appears:
---------------------------
Doomsday 1.9.7 (#290)
loadGamePlugin: No game library was specified.

OK   
This happens under a non-admin account I normally use (with -home option for the frontent set up in the Snowberry shrotcut). Under the admin account, it works, but I really don't want to run it as admin.

Comments

• What are the command line options generated by Snowberry? You can see them if you right-click the "Play" button.
  • -basedir "C:\Program Files\Doomsday"
    -userdir "C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\Doomsday Frontend\runtime" 
    -sfxchan 16
    -texcomp
    -wh 640 480
    -game jDoom.dll
    -iwad "D:\prgfiles\doom\wads\DOOM2.WAD"
    -bpp 32

• You cannot install Doomsday to C:\Program Files\* if you intend to use the -home option with Snowberry unless you run as an administrator. Snowberry does not detect authorization rights of the user which launched it and simply expects to be able to write to its install directory. There isn't much we can do about this situation because the -home option explicitly tells Snowberry "use my installation directory for storing temporary files" and because that directory is only writeable when a session has administrator privileges - it will fail.

Basically if you want to use -home you have to either install Doomsday to some place other than C:\Program Files\ or you have to always run as an admin. The -home option is intended for "Portable" installs (e.g., on a flashdrive).
  • DaniJ wrote:
    the -home option explicitly tells Snowberry "use my installation directory for storing temporary files"
    skyjake told me otherwise.
    Besides, it definitely used to work. I'll try to determine where it broke.
  • reg wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:
    the -home option explicitly tells Snowberry "use my installation directory for storing temporary files"
    skyjake told me otherwise.
    I think perhaps skyjake meant -nohome rather than -home. It still only works in combination with an install outside of c:\Program Files\ as Doomsday needs to write to the runtime directory too (unless you specify another location using -userdir (which I see you are doing)). Hmm...

Have you recently upgraded to XP SP3?
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I think perhaps skyjake meant -nohome rather than -home.
    I do believe that skyjake is right. See the linked thread - I was getting permission denied errors from Snowberry and adding -home option fixed it.
    DaniJ wrote:
    It still only works in combination with an install outside of c:\Program Files\ as Doomsday needs to write to the runtime directory too (unless you specify another location using -userdir (which I see you are doing)).
    Not myself. Snowberry does it for me.
    DaniJ wrote:
    Have you recently upgraded to XP SP3?
    No.

BTW: #252 works.
    EDIT: #273 fails. #262 works. #266 fails.
  • reg wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:
    I think perhaps skyjake meant -nohome rather than -home.
    I do believe that skyjake is right. See the linked thread - I was getting permission denied errors from Snowberry and adding -home option fixed it.
    Seems we are at crossed purposes. Made even more confusing by the logic of -home doing the opposite of what a Windows user would expect it to do... What I said about the install dir still stands though.

Clearly you have it configured the way need it to work so lets forget about that.
  • Anything else I should provide?
  • Replying here instead of the poll to keep things on topic...
    DaniJ wrote:
    I see you made an edit to say it stopped working at some point between #262 and #273, perhaps skyjake can shed some light on the problem.
    Most likely it's related to the qmake switchover in some obscure way. I guess I'll need to create a new non-admin account on my system and see if I can reproduce the issue.
  • This problem doesn't reproduce will build 365, but the game is still broken.
    Doomsday Engine1.9.7 [#365]
    Couldn't open message output file.
    OK

Then resolution switches to 640x480, and dialog box appears saying something about unknown exception, then windows crash dialog box (Doomsday.exe error, send report, don't send, etc.)