Help! I'm stuck and I don't want to restart!

edited 2011 Oct 17 in Hexen
I've encountered an error in jHexen whereby a two-way portal I need to enter crashes the game upon entrance. I've saved the game right before entering this portal, and I haven't any other saves. I've tried going through this portal with the "stable" 1.9.7 beta, the #199 build, and the (formerly) latest #276 build, and all result in the same crash after entering the portal. Is there a quick Notepad edit or something I can perform to fix this save? Is it irrevocably corrupted, and my only option is to start over completely? Has anyone else encountered a crash like this?

Also, where's the mouselook toggle? I've looked up and down the Controls menu but couldn't find it.

Comments

• Could you send me your save files (*.hxs, zipped as one archive) to skyjake.code (at) gmail dot com and I can see whether the debugger will reveal anything about the cause of the crash. Maybe I can apply a workaround for a future build...
  • I'll be sending you a zip with four .hxs files found in "User/My Documents/Doomsday Frontend/runtime/hexndata/hexen". The saved game is labeled "predcon", and should place you in "Map 10: Wasteland" in front of the trouble-making portal.

About those mouselook bindings....
  • Thanks, I'll check it out.

I believe currently there is no mouselook toggle as such, but you can delete the bindings for "Look Up" and "Look Down" in the Controls menu and then bind only the keys you wish to use for looking up/down. By default the mouse-y axis is bound to the look up/down, which is equivalent to having mouselook activated.

Another way is to set the mouse Y axis scale to zero, effectively disabling mouse up/down movement. This can be done with the "input-mouse-y-scale" cvar or in the control panel screen.
  • That's what I'm saying. After having updated to the unstable build #199 (and beyond), the mouse-Y binding doesn't do anything. I suppose that since there are only four weapons, I don't need to use the mousewheel for scrolling through weapons, and can bind it to "Look Up" and "Look Down", but does the game know the difference between "Mousewheel Up" and "Mousewheel Down"?
  • I've found the cause of the crash in your savegames. The fix will be included in the next build and if we are lucky, you can continue your game without further problems.

Mousewheel up and down should be bindable just like any other control in the Controls menu. I'll have to do some more checking later on, but a quick look shows that mouse-y is working for me... If you can also send me your .cfg files I can see if there's anything strange going on with those.
  • Sent. The files were found in "User/My Documents/Doomsday Frontend/runtime/"

I don't suppose there's a layman's explanation for the savegame corruption, is there?
  • Fortunately in this case there was no actual corruption in the savegame, but instead a problem with restoring the internal state of the game after the saved data had been loaded from the file. It would've been much more difficult to fix (maybe impossible) if the file was corrupted...
  • So, the game could load my "accomplishments" (secret switches thrown, etc) in the current map, but not in any other map in the current hub?

I did a quick search through "jhexen.cfg", and found "mouse look active" bound to "mouse 0", and "jhexen-bindings.cfg" shows only bindings for the X axis. Would it hurt to add two new "bindcontrol local1-look" entries and just copy-and-paste the mouse-x binds used for turning, and replace x with y?
  • predcon wrote:
    So, the game could load my "accomplishments" (secret switches thrown, etc) in the current map, but not in any other map in the current hub?
    As far as I can tell, everything was loaded correctly from your save files. The problem was that afterwards, when the game was checking out the data, it made an error with one of the arrays which soon after resulted in a crash.
    I did a quick search through "jhexen.cfg", and found "mouse look active" bound to "mouse 0", and "jhexen-bindings.cfg" shows only bindings for the X axis. Would it hurt to add two new "bindcontrol local1-look" entries and just copy-and-paste the mouse-x binds used for turning, and replace x with y?
    In the .cfg files you sent there was no binding for the mouse-y axis. If you go to the Controls menu, select Look Up, and then mouse your mouse upwards, it should create the right bindings for you.
  • Right now my PC's suffered an unknown I/O failure (part of which resulted in the primary HDD's partition losing it's "drive letter"; All the data is there, intact, but the OS won't boot), so I'll have to try that out once everything's ironed out. I'll reply back in a few days.
  • I finally got my HDD back. It was the master boot record, of all things, which was easy enough to rebuild.

I'm also happy to say that the new build fixes the issue with the saved game, and I was also able to map the Mouse-Y axis to Look Up/Look Down. Are there any "post-fix" log files or something you need to see?
  • I don't think there is anything more that needs checking out... Glad to hear it works. :)