3D Models - included?

edited 2011 Aug 9 in Addons for DOOM
Earlier today, I downloaded Doomsday and the add-ons listed on the add-ons page (except for the jDRP as it is included in Doomsday, as the add-ons page says).

I've done a few searches but the only posts that came up are quite old, so thought I would ask the question again: should I be seeing 3D models for the enemies and items out-of-the box (because I'm not)? I ask because I know this is a major engine feature, but no "3D Models" add-on is listed on the add-ons page, so it made me wonder whether such models were included but not showing up for me for some reason.

If they aren't included, is there an official/recommended place to get an add-on to provide them?

Thanks for your time and help.

Comments

• wibble wrote:
    Earlier today, I downloaded Doomsday and the add-ons listed on the add-ons page (except for the jDRP as it is included in Doomsday, as the add-ons page says).
    To my knowledge, it's not included.
    wibble wrote:
    I've done a few searches but the only posts that came up are quite old, so thought I would ask the question again: should I be seeing 3D models for the enemies and items out-of-the box (because I'm not)? I ask because I know this is a major engine feature, but no "3D Models" add-on is listed on the add-ons page, so it made me wonder whether such models were included but not showing up for me for some reason.
    Models are in jDRP. You might also want to try jDRP from this thread. It's claimed that this compilation is better; I never used it and stopped using original jDRP so don't know.
  • reg wrote:
    To my knowledge, it's not included.

Aha, I think I understand where I have gone wrong now.

On <http://dengine.net/addons&gt; is a list of all of the add-ons that are available. When it lists the jDRP, it says "jDRP v1.01 (packaged)". That wording (along with the fact that I didn't have to do anything to enable Doomsday to play Doom) made me think that the jDRP was packaged with Doomsday.

Having now downloaded the jDRP I can use it as an add-on and the models are now all there. Thanks for helping clear this up.
    reg wrote:
    Models are in jDRP. You might also want to try jDRP from this thread. It's claimed that this compilation is better; I never used it and stopped using original jDRP so don't know.

Thanks; I'd seen that thread but wasn't sure how authoritative it is after time has passed. I'll check it out more fully.

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply!
  • Kingennio's model pack jdrp101+11a+fixes.pk3 on that thread has many updated jdrp models with better texture quality and better polygonal count. Most of the items have hi res textures unlike the old jdrp. The candles, torch effects, and decorations (like the floating eye with green symbol and the torches themselves) look many times better.The toxic barrel model looks much better too and actually shatters into pieces that stay on the floor indefinitely instead of the barrel disappearing upon destruction. The pack also has better quality weapons effects, like the plasma ball from both you and that arachnotron, but only a couple monsters have been redone so far, and I made a custom pack for myself that has Tea Monster's Pinky and Caco models merged into this model pack, even though Kingennio has redone the cacodemon. The explosions and partical effects look better too (not sure if that part is an engine improvement though). The pack isn't completed, but much of it has been and maybe Kingennio will update it sometime. It is completely stable, in my experience.

I keep saying on this forum that this pack is an improvement and that it should replace the old jdrp on the addons page, but people don't seem to be paying attention to that. Also, read the readme of the pack after download to find out details. Once you use it, you won't go back. It really should be put on the addons page at least as an alternative to the original. No joke. I recommend everyone try it out. Otherwise, you are missing out.
  • Thanks for the recommendation; I've tried it and I won't be going back!

I gather, from the other thread, that the reason it may not have been put on the add-ons page because instead of allowing you to selectively enable each replacement model (as the "stock" jDRP does), it is all-or-nothing. I know there are fors and againsts on both sides, but that seems like a possible point of contention and maybe it's because it's monolithic that it's not been "officially" ratified yet? Just a thought.

Anyway, I am very happy; thanks!
  • Pretty much. Although there are a few textures and models that are higher quality that pack sacrifices all the customization that the standard pack allows. If someone wants to work on that and updated it to afford the same functionality as the current pack we'd happily update the link the addons page.
  • As long as the pack remains available through the link on that topic, it will be good. I just worry that over time, that file might be removed from where ever it is hosted, thus breaking the link, making it so there is no way to download that pack in the future.