Public Multiplayer Testing

edited 2012 Aug 24 in News
I'm happy to announce that we will start public multiplayer testing on Monday, 1st of August.

Fixing the multiplayer code has been going on since March, and during the past four and a half months a lot of progress has been made. We have reached a stage where most of the showstopper problems have been fixed and actual gameplay can happen without major errors.

However, there is still a number of glitches that show up as visual artifacts and other small annoyances. There may also be some errors that occur only seldom, and require lots of playing time to pinpoint. Thus we need your help in finding out what is still broken.

For now, the setup will be as follows. We are running 4 public servers, each of which can host a maximum of 15 players. The servers should appear automatically in the client connection screen on Monday. Each server is running a different game: Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Heretic (with episodes 4 and 5) or Hexen.

You will need to use the latest unstable build to join the game. The servers will be updated frequently with new builds, so in addition to occasional crashes you should expect to do a lot of installing of new builds. As usual, the unstable builds can be accessed via the Doomsday Build Events RSS feed.

When you encounter a bug, let us know here on the forums. (Less overhead than with the SourceForge bug tracker.) You should also keep an eye on the known issues.

I will post more details on Monday when the servers are open.

PS. Even though we will be hosting a number of public servers during the testing phase, we still haven't made definite plans about public servers for the stable release.

THE SERVERS ARE OPEN

Build 332: http://code.iki.fi/builds/build332
Current status: http://dengine.net/master.php

Comments

• I will try to participate.
    If I understood correctly - servers will be launched in co-op mode? How many days will continue testing?
    In any case - will be glad to see someone in jHeretic game! ;)
  • PVS wrote:
    If I understood correctly - servers will be launched in co-op mode? How many days will continue testing?
    There will be both deathmatch and co-op testing, but we might as well begin with co-op... The testing will continue as long as necessary, most likely a couple of months.
  • Before we open any co-op servers we'll need to fix the map progression/intermission issue which can result in a server getting stuck on the intermission.
  • Which version of Doomsday we must us for Public Multiplayer Testing ?
  • skyjake wrote:
    You will need to use the latest unstable build to join the game. The servers will be updated frequently with new builds, so in addition to occasional crashes you should expect to do a lot of installing of new builds. As usual, the unstable builds can be accessed via the Doomsday Build Events RSS feed
    However there seems to have been an issue with the Windows build this time (missing external symbols). Presently Windows clients can't get involved.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    However there seems to have been an issue with the Windows build this time (missing external symbols). Presently Windows clients can't get involved.
    I'm taking care of it. I had already exported the missing symbol on Friday, but forgot to push the commit to SourceForge... The Windows build will be available shortly.
  • Thanks for Windows version.
    Where are enemies ?
  • They are deathmatch servers, you'll have to wait for some human opponents.
    • Player firing animation is a bit screwed up atm
    • Sometimes the client weapon raises displaying the psprite of the weapon owned prior to respawn
    • Frags acquired by player X for killing player Y are lost when player Y leaves the game
    • Crushers somewhat broken due to latency as the damage request has to be verified by the server. Client's view is clamped to the ceiling and movement is stopped as expected however
    • Crushers can get stuck once a player has been crushed
  • edited 2011 Aug 1
    Some more to add from Doom on Windows.
    • Player sprites turn back to default colour when they are killed (i.e green), regardless of skin colour prior.
    • Shoot a player at the bottom of a ledge and they jump up to the ledge for an instant.
    • All walk over triggers seem to activate twice (causing the affected sector(s) to play their sounds twice); secret sector types as well.
    • No hit sound when landing a punch.
    • Switches on two sided linedefs don't appear to animate (e2m5 vine/nukage room).
    • No teleporter sound (fog appears though).
    • Picking up any type of armour pickup for the first time causes your weapon to lower and raise very quickly.
    • Missile explosions often play twice.
    • Chainsaw makes no noise beyond raise sound; the raise sound is cut off as if the idle sound plays though.

Having some difficulty connecting to servers in Heretic and HeXen; Heretic often fails, while I haven't managed to get onto the HeXen server at tall. Sometimes Dday gracefully aborts, returning to the games main menu, but as many times, Dday will hang requiring ctrl alt delete to quit. I also found Heretic often booted me between maps.

Here's an error I often got from both Heretic and HeXen, when joining failed and when Dday didn't hang:
    Map 1 (1): WINNOWING HALL

Con_Busy: Was busy for 0.99 seconds.
    B_ActivateContext: Deactivating context "deui".
    Cl_HandlePlayerInfo: console:1 name:Player
    PSV_SYNC: gameTime=163.840
    Doomsday 1.9.7 (#master) Server (R13)
    N_ReceiveReliably: Error during TCP recv.
       (No such file or directory)N_Listen: N_ReceiveReliably failed. Terminating!
    N_Update: Connection was terminated.

No joining issues at tall with Doom1 and 2 though.

One little suggestion as well; crediting secrets seems redundant in DM.
  • Re:
    N_ReceiveReliably: Error during TCP recv.
    (No such file or directory)N_Listen: N_ReceiveReliably failed. Terminating!
    Skyjake and I have experienced the same issue while testing todays build. We currently suspect a threading issue.
  • Also, while I can't understand all the below myself. It seems that on one ocasion in Heretic, I tried to connect to the Heretic test server, but Dday ended up trying to and failing, to connect to the Doom2 server instead.
    S_StartMusic: titl.
    B_ActivateContext: Deactivating context "console".
    B_ActivateContext: Activating context "console".
    B_ActivateContext: Deactivating context "console".
    B_ActivateContext: Activating context "deui".
    Server deng Team filtered out:
      remote = 10907, local = 10907
      remote = doom2, local = heretic-ext
      can join = 1
      remote = hexen, local = heretic-ext
      can join = 1
      remote = doom1-ultimate, local = heretic-ext
      can join = 1
    N_InitService: SDLNet_Init OK
    LoadImage: }data/graphics/loading1.png (256x256)
    LoadImage: }data/graphics/loading2.png (256x256)
    B_ActivateContext: Activating context "deui".
    Connecting to 50.17.41.22...
    Send INFO query.
    Waiting for response.
    Append to response: BEGIN
    port:13210
    name:deng Team
    info:[TESTING #213] Server may crash or other errors may occur!
    ver:10907
    game:jdoom 1.15.9
    mode:doom2
    setup:skill3 dm nomonst jump
    iwad:DOOM2.WAD
    wcrc:15952587
    pwads:
    map:MAP32
    nump:0
    maxp:15
    open:1
    plrn:
    data0:0
    data1:0
    d.
    Waiting for response.
    Append to response: ata2:0
    END
    1 server has been found.
        Name:                P/M  L Ver:  Game:            Location:
    0 : deng Team            0/15   10907 jdoom 1.15.9     :13210
        MAP32 (DOOM2.WAD:f36acb) p:0ms [TESTING #213] Server may crash or other errors may occur!
        doom2 skill3 dm nomonst jump
        Name:                P/M  L Ver:  Game:            Location:
    0 : deng Team            0/15   10907 jdoom 1.15.9     :13210
        MAP32 (DOOM2.WAD:f36acb) p:0ms [TESTING #213] Server may crash or other errors may occur!
        doom2 skill3 dm nomonst jump
    N_Connect: JOIN 0000 Player
      Server responds: ENTER 0000
    Connected.
    Con_Busy: Was busy for 0.45 seconds.
    NetCl_UpdatePlayerInfo: pl=1 color=1 class=115
    N_ReceiveReliably: Packet header was truncated. Got 0 bytes.
      Error:  (No such file or directory)
    N_Listen: N_ReceiveReliably failed. Terminating!
    N_Update: Connection was terminated.
    Cl_CleanUp.

• Map Begin Infine played during deathmatch resulted in client seeing HOM when warping to the map
    • Minor: Mobj decorations like dynlights and shadows are currently positioned according to non-smoothed coordinates
    • Invulnerability particle generator effect visible when mobj is not present
  • Which version Hexen.wad need?
  • Kenon wrote:
    Which version Hexen.wad need?
    It's the latest; version 1.1.

Note that if the server doesn't appear in the list, it may have crashed. You can check if the servers are currently up here: http://dengine.net/master.php
  • edited 2011 Aug 1
    Seems to be a rare issue of getting stuck in walls. also, my camera was once lowered to the floor by a closing door.

Seems to be an issue with updating the server information in the multiplayer menu if you crash between maps; when you re-launch Dday and return to the mp menu, it still displays the map and players (including yourself) that were present in the server when you crashed, even if either or both have changed in the meantime.
  • Vermil wrote:
    also, my camera was once lowered to the floor by a closing door.
    AFAIK, it's a known issue.
    Also, Doom2 server crashed. Anyone on UDoom server?
  • eeegad, by the time I patched my Hexen iwad to the proper version that the server was running, the server shut down.. :|
    In case anyone needs, this is what I used to patch.
    http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~phenex/IWadPatcher/

It will also revert to previous versions.
    Never the less, in case you need to use this, back up your iwads first just to be safe!

Drag n drop your iwad onto the iwad patcher to patch, it also creates a .bak.
    Check your Iwad versions. ;)

At the moment:
    Doom2 seems to work the best, always lets me connect and play. ~ though there is a list of issues, mostly already highlighted in this topic. ~ I should add that when the server changed to map23, it kicked everyone from the server other than me. Verm was finally able to connect and enter the game level after a few trys. I should add that I killed a lot of barrles before he was able to re-enter the game, I don't know if that has anything to do with it heh.

Ult-Doom just kicks me to a de splash screen, no control over it, and I have to end task it.

Heretic begins to connect but kicks me back to the main menu.

Hexen server isn't currently running..
  • edited 2011 Aug 4
    Entering a very long chat messages causes a crash with this error message: "CCMD_Chat: Invalid value, mode = 1853321060."

Also, little rfe; the chat text doesn't wrap if you type a message that is wider than the screen.

Also, your weapons fire straight forward regardless of whether you are looking up/down. Also I can't get mouse movement on the X Axis to work (which isn't just an mp issue, rather an issue I have with the old beta 6.9 as well).

Also, auto aim seems to not have full range or assist, nor be fully disable able.

I've also noticed that the console seems unable to keep up; it takes a good many seconds for the latest player messages, debug info etc etc to appear in it.
  • I got dumped several times when the levels changed over.

Also, I've not played with any of the high-res packs. I was playing with just the standard set-up.

As Vermil said, you need a carriage return on the text display. Having said that, I think we're only running into that as we are testing it. In a normal game, I doubt people will be tapping out paragraphs in the middle of a deathmatch!

Got to say a big thank you to all the dev team as it was great to play some multiplayer Doom and Heretic again. Absolutely magical.
  • Text message stuff:
    I think by default the original doom would do just that, give you but only a line of space to text message.
    I don't remember there be much more than that, obviously something id software would have done if they had the chance to no doubt before quake heh.

Mouse look:
    I should have had my mouse look off in dm, it's really a pref but pertains to doom2 deathmatch. ~ not as a rule but as a believe..
    In short, that's really the only way I know how to put it lol.
    In Doom back then, there was no mlook at all, if you want to shoot up and down, its actually a radius thing..
    If a player or monster is above you in Doom, Doom2, the game will auto aim if you're in a radius of about, well anywhere less than 512 pixel units from the opposing. ;)
    This function is or seems to be working though in case you're wondering..

Server stuff:
    Not sure if anyone's said this but we're sort of in need of a between level score board/rankings screen..
    Nothing is being shown between levels, though it was on a timelimit and not a fraglimit.. we still need to see the winner.
    I know we can hit the \ to check at any time, but we can't when the time runs out. What would be cool is if there was a de backdrop and the rankings screen gi was displayed on top of it between level change. ~ for about 10 seconds.. :P
    If set to fraglimit, it should always display the rankings screen though.

Also if running standard dm, item respawn needs enabled. basically because its dm1 with no item respawn, labeled old deathmatch before it was added later as dm2 with respawning items.
  • No servers at all online at the moment? Will check back again another time then :)
  • JonusC wrote:
    No servers at all online at the moment? Will check back again another time then :)
    Yeah, there is some instability with the servers, too. I'm keeping an eye on them and will restart when they go down. (Unless I'm asleep, in which case they may be down for a bit longer. :) )

Stability should improve in the near future as bugs are fixed.
  • Didn't take long for the Doom2 server to crash again lol.... maybe a self-restarter could be in order :)

EDIT: In Ultimate Doom, certain maps seem to make my client crash when trying to join - not sure if this is specific to a certain WAD version or if it happens with everyone.
  • A.K.A the "activate Skyjakes alarm clock" console command.

Yep there is a crash possibilty for each player when the map cycles.
  • JonusC wrote:
    Didn't take long for the Doom2 server to crash again lol.... maybe a self-restarter could be in order :)
    I will probably set one up later, but right now I want to keep the details of every crash in the debugger, and those will be lost if the server is automatically restarted...
  • Mr.Rocket wrote:
    Text message stuff:

In Doom back then, there was no mlook at all, if you want to shoot up and down, its actually a radius thing..
    If a player or monster is above you in Doom, Doom2, the game will auto aim if you're in a radius of about, well anywhere less than 512 pixel units from the opposing. ;)
    1024?
    Mr.Rocket wrote:
    Also if running standard dm, item respawn needs enabled. basically because its dm1 with no item respawn, labeled old deathmatch before it was added later as dm2 with respawning items.
    dm 1.0 is awesome. No immortal players!

Also: you can get stuck in final room of e1m8 - and suicide doesn't work.
    Teleporter to the cyberdemon cage in e4m2 doesn't work.

Deathcam doesn't work as in vanilla.

A timer on the scoreboard would be nice.
  • Vermil wrote:
    A.K.A the "activate Skyjakes alarm clock" console command.

Yep there is a crash possibilty for each player when the map cycles.

I tried to rejoin DoomU server about five times while it was on E4M2, crashing every time. I noticed "Player" (reg?) was still in there though, so it's either Windows specific or my WAD version...

EDIT: Changing my player name fixed it.
  • JonusC wrote:
    "Player" (reg?)
    HOW DO YOU KNOW??!! :P