@dengteam on Twitter

edited 2009 Jul 8 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Blog, Practices.</i>

I have just created a Twitter account for the <a href="http://twitter.com/dengteam">deng team</a>. I for one intend to be tweeting about what I'm doing related to the project -- particularly about the New Order stuff -- and I encourage the rest of the team members to do the same. If anyone is not familiar with Twitter, it's an effective way of keeping up to date on what's happening, and a nice medium for brief conversations.

Comments

• One thing I will say is that we should make an effort to contain meaningful discussion either here at dengDevs or at the forums. We've only just started to consolidate our web presence.

If our Twitter usage can be limited to the type of discussion we used to have over ICQ, i.e., the day to day stuff, then that would be the best use of it imo.
  • I would emphasize the status update side of Twitter more than the discussions. This blog is much better for talking about things in any length. The 140 character limit prevents any in-depth discourse.

The nice thing about Twitter and web presence is that we can embed the dengteam feed anywhere on our sites. It appears as a regular bulleted HTML list that can be styled with CSS. Also, twitter provides <b>real-time</b> updates (even to your mobile phone) and those who are interested can track the status messages easily. I see it as a nice, open alternative to the private ICQ discussions and significantly more light-weight than the forums -- I can do tweets about my daily progress, but I wouldn't see myself posting here or on the forums, there would simply be too much overhead.

I should actually set up that embedded dengteam feed here on the dengDevs blog...