Doomsday Engine 1.9.0-beta6.4 error on Mac OS X 10.4.11

edited 2009 Aug 19 in Technical Support
Here's what I get:
Doomsday Engine Error

Doomsday Engine Error
An unexpected error has occurred during execution of the main script

PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "status == noErr" failed at /BUILD/wxPython-src-2.8.10.1/src/mac/carbon/font.cpp(488) in MacFindFont(): couldn't modify ATSU style

[Open Console] [Terminate]

And here's what's in the Console:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/Doomsday Engine.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 31, in <module>
    _run('snowberry.py')
  File "/Applications/Doomsday Engine.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 28, in _run
    execfile(path, globals(), globals())
  File "/Applications/Doomsday Engine.app/Contents/Resources/snowberry.py", line 25, in <module>
    import language, ui, plugins, sb.profdb
  File "ui.pyo", line 698, in <module>
  File "ui.pyo", line 536, in __init__
  File "wx/_core.pyo", line 7978, in __init__
  File "wx/_core.pyo", line 7552, in _BootstrapApp
  File "wx/_core.pyo", line 7987, in OnPreInit
  File "wx/_gdi.pyo", line 6258, in _initStockObjects
  File "wx/_gdi.pyo", line 6254, in GetFont
wx._core.PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "status == noErr" failed at /BUILD/wxPython-src-2.8.10.1/src/mac/carbon/font.cpp(488) in MacFindFont(): couldn't modify ATSU style
2009-07-18 16:10:24.222 Doomsday Engine[516] Doomsday Engine Error
2009-07-18 16:10:24.222 Doomsday Engine[516] Doomsday Engine Error
An unexpected error has occurred during execution of the main script

PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "status == noErr" failed at /BUILD/wxPython-src-2.8.10.1/src/mac/carbon/font.cpp(488) in MacFindFont(): couldn't modify ATSU style

Any ideas? I'm no programmer so most of that looks like gobbledeguk. I thought maybe it was complaining about missing the WADs so I tried them in several places I thought they might have to be in. The Doomsday Engine folder in Application Support, the .dooomsday folder in the home directory, even in the .APP package itself. I dunno. I've taken it as far as i know how to go.

Comments

• Have you removed any of the built-in fonts from your Mac? That Python error usually occurs when a Font is not found from memory. They need to make that error a little more verbose.

EDIT: Did a quick google, use Font Book and restore all the system fonts or something like that.
  • Yeah, the error seems to be that wxPython can't find a font and panics. A few things you could try:
    • Always worth a try: repair disk permissions in Disk Utility.
    • Create a fonts.conf file using TextEdit with the contents below (changes all fonts to Helvetica). Put the file in ~/Library/Application Support/Doomsday Engine/conf/
      appearance style-normal (
        font: Helvetica
        size: 11
        weight: normal
        slant: normal
      )

appearance style-html (
        size: -1
      )

appearance style-italic (
        slant: italic
      )

appearance style-bold (
        weight: bold
      )

appearance style-heading (
        size: 13
      )

appearance style-title (
        size: 15
      )

appearance style-small (
        size: 9
      )

• Sorry about not responding. Totally forgot I made this post and I didn't get any alert by email.
    JonusC wrote:
    Have you removed any of the built-in fonts from your Mac? That Python error usually occurs when a Font is not found from memory. They need to make that error a little more verbose.

EDIT: Did a quick google, use Font Book and restore all the system fonts or something like that.

All the fonts seem to be there and I don't recall removing any fonts installed from the Mac OS X DVD. I do have a bunch of fonts I added as part of my graphic arts freelance business.
    skyjake wrote:
    Yeah, the error seems to be that wxPython can't find a font and panics. A few things you could try:
    • Always worth a try: repair disk permissions in Disk Utility.
    • Create a fonts.conf file using TextEdit with the contents below (changes all fonts to Helvetica). Put the file in ~/Library/Application Support/Doomsday Engine/conf/
      appearance style-normal (
      )

appearance style-html (
        size: -1
      )

appearance style-italic (
        slant: italic
      )

appearance style-bold (
      )

appearance style-heading (
        size: 13
      )

appearance style-title (
        size: 15
      )

appearance style-small (
        size: 9
      )

Didn't work. Did find a duplicate of Helvetica in Font Book, but removing that did nothing. So I DO have Helvetica. What fonts does Doomsday Engine use specifically?
  • Hold on. A bunch of "Computer" fonts were disabled. I definitely don't remember disabling fonts. I guess they were disabled automatically when I did something and i didn't get any feedback telling me they were disabled. Thanks for the help in making sense of it all. :) It works now.
  • Haha no problem. In my experience, OSX is a decent and very easy to use OS, but it can be annoying how it changes core settings based on what it "thinks" will suit you (Windows does it too though of course).