Repackaged 1.8.6

edited 2009 Feb 24 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>danij</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Engine, jDoom, jHeretic, jHexen, Launchers, Platforms, Releases, Windows.</i>

It has been brought to my attention that the current stable release package of Doomsday, for Windows, which we make available via SourceForge does not include Snowberry (KickStart is packaged) and there are a few (minor) usability issues also. This was highlighted by RiShooty, who felt compelled to release his own package to make up for these shortcomings.

Given that we are unlikely to reach stable release quality with version 1.9.0 any time soon, I think we should release an updated 1.8.6 package at the very least, or maybe even a full minor point release (1.8.7) to address a few issues.

Comments

• Sounds OK to me. What kind of issues there are to be addressed?

The repackaging would be only for Windows? At least on the Mac I think the stablest/best release overall is beta5.1 (it remains to be seen whether beta6 is better).
  • The issues that I would look to fix in such a release are:

<ul>
    <li>Package Snowberry (I'm assuming 1.1 would be the right version?) rather than KickStart.</li>
    <li>Changing the default size of the memory zone, maxing it out to 256mb.</li>
    <li>Applying the fix for accessing previously free'd memory found during the development of 1.9.0-Beta1 that improved stability greatly (though I fail to remember what it was exactly but I'll go back through the revision history to determine).</li>
    </ul>
  • Seems like a reasonable thing to do after we've got beta6 out the door. Maybe you could use the latest Snowberry, though? 1.2 has some UI enhancements which would be beneficial. It may require tweaking some of the conf files (check the difference there between the releases).
  • At the very least it would require re-instating the renderer plugin selection and a few other changes to the defaults but I should be able to handle that. Its about time I got more "hands on" with Snowberry.