Bugs (deng 1.9.0 - beta6.4)

edited 2009 Jul 24 in Technical Support
1. Unable to select shotgun if you only collect the double barrel (to test, load "D2M07:Dead Simple" with no weapons - collect double barrel shotgun - unable to select weapon again if changed)
2. When using Sycraft's music, only intro music plays in a constant loop.

I don't know if this issue has been solved also, but in previous version I would often experience save game problems (crashes/corruption/etc).

I think this source port of the DOOM engine is by far the best out there and I'd like to see it working perfectly. Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into.

Also, would be nice to see network game support across platforms (Windows <-> Mac) if possible.

Comments

• hey - i double checked the shotgun "bug". turns out it's fixed in this beta - sorry. it's just the number '3' doesn't light up unless you get the single barrel gun.

also, the music issue seems to come and go. sometimes it doesn't work (loops), often it's fine.

so...does this release support network play? if so, does it support cross-platform? (win7 <-> mac os x)
  • Yeah, the Shotgun behavior you're talking about is in the Doom2.exe behavior. 3 doesn't light up until you have the regular Shotgun, even if you do have the Super Shotgun.
  • I can't say for sure if this is a version specific bug, but during a giddy trial run of beta 6.4 I managed to blast myself out of E1M6. Taking a left from the beginning, there's a little alcove with maybe four explosive barrels surrounding a few imps. For kicks, I unleashed the BFG on them at close range (yes, I'm a dirty cheater), and the resulting carnage somehow propelled me through the wall, where I found myself stuck and unable to reenter the map. As I've never before encountered this little bug, I thought it worth mentioning.
  • capo wrote:
    2. When using Sycraft's music, only intro music plays in a constant loop.

Do you have jDEP loaded? I was recently told (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65) that there is bug with this add-on affecting the music.
  • Actually this bug only happened the first time. It's been fine since then. Not sure what the cause was - I didn't check enough before posting. Thanks for your suggestion though man. :)
  • Thanks to mr.cake for this bug: Spider Mastermind doesn't show up in E3M8 (Ultimate Doom). Makes the level impossible to complete. Problem present on all difficulties. Doom Builder confirms that the Spider Mastermind is present in the map, so no problems with the wad.
  • The bug where you pass through the walls - found this again too. One common cause of it is when you speed up while moving along side a wall. You'll find that if you face the same direction that a wall travels and just touch it with your side, while running along it you'll sometimes suddenly speed up. If you hit another wall at this speed, it's often fast enough to pass straigh through it.
  • I've got one I'm note sure of if it's been mentioned already. I thought, it might fit in here quite well. So, with DHTP loaded, transparencies seem not to work properly. For example in Doom 2, Level 4, there's a window with a grid. Usually one can see right trough it (which is important btw. as there are some imps behind it), but not with DHTP, in which the space in between is black. However, it does work without DHTP. So, bug or not?
  • mr. cake wrote:
    ...with DHTP loaded, transparencies seem not to work properly. For example in Doom 2, Level 4, there's a window with a grid. Usually one can see right trough it (which is important btw. as there are some imps behind it), but not with DHTP, in which the space in between is black. However, it does work without DHTP. So, bug or not?
    Sounds to me like the texture in question is in an incorrect format. The "black background" result is generally symptomatic of a texture that should have an alpha channel but in fact does not.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Sounds to me like the texture in question is in an incorrect format. The "black background" result is generally symptomatic of a texture that should have an alpha channel but in fact does not.
    Yeah a few textures are in plain raster 16-bit (or 24-bit) colour mode rather than the natural RGBA that PNG's use. I'll have the raise the issue at the DHTP forums, I think that's better than us changing it directly.
  • capo wrote:
    i double checked the shotgun "bug"... ...the number '3' doesn't light up unless you get the single barrel gun.
    This is an original DOOM bug that has managed to survive to the present day in jDoom.

However, as of 1.9.0-beta6.5 the flawed logic which resulted in this bug has been fixed, resulting in the '3' lighting up when you collect the super-shotgun. As this is a non-serious change to vanilla DOOM behaviour the fix can be disabled if the original behaviour is desired for whatever reason (the fix is enabled by default).