Beta 5, Steady as She Goes

edited 2007 Jan 9 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Beta 5, Engine, Games, Mac OS X, Releases, SourceForge, Unix/Linux, Version 1.9, Windows.</i>

The release of 1.9.0 Beta 5 is upon us. However, I am not yet sufficiently pleased with the level of stability in multiplayer games, and the team is working on a set of fixes. The very near future will be as follows.

There are already Beta 5 release candidates available for Windows and Mac OS X on SourceForge.net. These should be fine for single-player games and getting a feel of what's new, but these are not the final release. If you run multiplayer games over the internet there will be problems in store for you with these RCs. I will be uploading new packages as multiplayer stability improves.

After I have deemed Beta 5 release-worthy, the trunk will be branced into /branches/1.9.0-beta5. In there, the release version number is officially changed to "beta5". The first release is tagged /tags/1.9.0-beta5.0 and will be packaged into the official Beta5.0 release.

Should any showstopper bugs be found in Beta5.0, fixes will be applied ASAP in /branches/1.9.0-beta5 and a new release, 1.9.0-beta5.1 will be tagged and packaged. This leaves us free to keep working on and breaking stuff in the trunk. The fixes will then be merged back to the trunk.

View the <a href="http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Version_1.9.0-beta5">Release Notes in DEW</a>.

Comments

• Doomsday1.9.0-beta5-rc15 is available from the -> <a target="_blank" title="USUAL PLACE" href="http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=74815">usual place</a>
    Sounds good to me.
  • Danij, you should get the new VS8 solution and project files from the repository and start using them and the IDE for day-to-day development ASAP. Visual Studio has a very good debugger.

The vcbuild.bat remains in use for automated release building.
  • The latest 1.9.0-beta5 release candidates rc18 and rc19 are out now, for MacOS and Windows respectively.
  • Everything looks set for the official Beta 5 release within 24 hours.
  • For now there is release candidate rc20, which has been released for Windows.