Bias Disabled by Default

edited 2006 May 26 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Beta 4, Engine.</i>

Until we optimize the light grid initialization and runtime impact of bias lighting, I will disable all of the SB/LG code by default. At the moment, even though rend-bias and rend-bias-grid are set to zero, Shark tells me that there are many SB-routines taking up a considerable amount of time even though the data is not used anywhere.

This is with rend-bias-grid enabled:
<pre>+ 32.9% LG_ApplySector (Doomsday)
| + 32.9% LG_Update (Doomsday)
| | - 32.9% Rend_RenderMap (Doomsday)
+ 11.5% LG_Update (Doomsday)
| + 11.5% Rend_RenderMap (Doomsday)
| | - 11.5% R_RenderPlayerView (Doomsday)
+ 8.2% SB_TrackerApply (Doomsday)
| + 7.3% SB_BeginFrame (Doomsday)
| | - 7.3% Rend_RenderMap (Doomsday)
| + 0.8% SB_MarkPlaneChanges (Doomsday)
| | - 0.8% SB_BeginFrame (Doomsday)
+ 4.9% SB_ChangeInAffected (Doomsday)
| - 4.1% SB_BeginFrame (Doomsday)
| + 0.8% SB_MarkPlaneChanges (Doomsday)
| | - 0.8% SB_BeginFrame (Doomsday)
+ 2.6% R_UpdateSector (Doomsday)
| + 2.6% SetProperty (Doomsday)
| | + 2.6% P_Callbackp (Doomsday)
| | | - 2.2% P_SetFloatp (Doomsday)
| | | - 0.3% P_SetBytep (Doomsday)
| | | - 0.2% P_SetIntp (Doomsday)
- 2.5% SB_TrackerCheck (Doomsday)
- 2.3% LG_SectorChanged (Doomsday)
</pre>

This is with rend-bias and rend-bias-grid disabled:
<pre>
+ 19.6% SB_TrackerApply (Doomsday)
| - 17.6% SB_BeginFrame (Doomsday)
| - 2.0% SB_MarkPlaneChanges (Doomsday)
+ 11.0% SB_ChangeInAffected (Doomsday)
| + 9.0% SB_BeginFrame (Doomsday)
| | - 9.0% Rend_RenderMap (Doomsday)
| + 1.9% SB_MarkPlaneChanges (Doomsday)
| | - 1.9% SB_BeginFrame (Doomsday)
- 6.2% SB_TrackerCheck (Doomsday)
- 5.2% Rend_DecorateLine (Doomsday)
- 3.3% SB_BeginFrame (Doomsday)
+ 2.6% R_UpdateSector (Doomsday)
| - 2.6% SetProperty (Doomsday)
</pre>

I will make sure that if SB/LG is not in use, the SB routines won't take up time.

Comments

• Looks like we have quite a bit to do towards optimizing SB and the LG. Since we have a fair bit of tweaking to do (not planned until Beta5) it does make sense to disable them by default in Beta4.

With SB we should completely disable the tracker update/monitoring if rend-bias is disabled and then do a one-time mass update if activated in-game.

At what point are these results from?
  • These results were measured in the starting room of STEEL.PK3, just standing still. On my system, the latest revision runs in the region of 80-100 FPS when SB/LG are disabled. Before I made any tweaks, I got 20-30 FPS (LG/SB disabled).

When we have proper update notifications from DMU, it should be possible to redesign at least the LG updates to work much faster. It seems the slowest operations are LG_Update and the SB change tracking. But I think there are still a couple of features missing from SB/LG that have to be in place before we can really start optimizing it. At least mobj SB evaluations and better LoS test for bias sources come to mind.