Bug fixes in automated builds

regreg
edited 2011 Apr 9 in General
Now that there's a automated build system, would it be possible to port bug fixes to master branch? Or is ringzero branch too far away form the master code?

Comments

• The current plan is that the work in the ringzero branch will be merged with the master. The ringzero branch is actually based on the same revision as the current master and so porting changes from it should be relatively straight forward. However the ringzero branch is very nearly "done", so rather than cherry pick changes I would prefer to complete that work and merge it in it's entirety.

Edit: skyjake has also answered your question in the form of an updated Roadmap
  • Great to hear that ringzero is nearly done.

Has the SDL been replaced with something better in it?
  • DaniJ wrote:
    The current plan is that the work in the ringzero branch will be merged with the master. The ringzero branch is actually based on the same revision as the current master and so porting changes from it should be relatively straight forward. However the ringzero branch is very nearly "done", so rather than cherry pick changes I would prefer to complete that work and merge it in it's entirety.
    So the ringzero is nearly done? A month has passed, yet there's no indication that it's complete.
    A refactoring can't be completed. It can only be stopped. ;)
    I'm worried that ringzero will eventually diverge too far from master and will get abandoned with all the bug fixes.
  • Don't worry reg, the refactoring in ringzero is going to stop and soon. However it can't be merged back into the master until there are zero regressions. I'll be making a progress update on dengDevs at some point over the weekend.

The ringzero branch absolutely won't get abandoned :D

Try to keep in mind that we do this stuff in our spare time as a hobby. A month in real time isn't actually all that long in deng development time.
    magnum wrote:
    Great to hear that ringzero is nearly done.

Has the SDL been replaced with something better in it?
    The plan is to replace SDL with Qt. This work is being carried out by skyjake and is happening in another branch.