Strange textures using MESA

edited 2009 Jul 3 in Technical Support
Greetings,

thanks for the great work on dengine/doomsday, it's right to keep the best games playable and I'd enjoy playing heretic on it. I got it running and even on my old X40 the rendering is suprisingly fast. Some textures, however, are wrongly placed or appear badly aligned.

The graphics hardware is an Intel 855GM, I'm running debian with mesa 7.0.3 and kernel 2.6.30. Doomsday version 1.9.0-beta6.3. Here are some screenshots.
  1 http://bayimg.com/FaBhdAACl
  2 http://bayimg.com/fabhfAaCl
  3 http://bayimg.com/FaBhgaAcl
  4 http://bayimg.com/fAbhkAAcl
~

I append the doomsday.out. Don't hesitate to ask me for more specific information about logs, my machine or the software it's running.

Comments

• welcome to the doomsday forums

I have the same problem on my laptop that has an intel graphics card. I did not know if it was just me or my really old graphics card (that had texture corruption problems)
    The problem is only with intel graphic cards. (ati have transparency problems and nvidia has no problems.)
  • KuriKai wrote:
    welcome to the doomsday forums

I have the same problem on my laptop that has an intel graphics card. I did not know if it was just me or my really old graphics card (that had texture corruption problems)
    The problem is only with intel graphic cards. (ati have transparency problems and nvidia has no problems.)

Thanks for your reply. At least it's good to know I didn't cause the error myself ...

As for the corrupted textures I don't fully understand you: Does that mean that Intel Cards in general (i.e. on Windows too) have that problem or is it Linux only (whether it's hardware or driver related) or does it occur only with Doomsday? Couldn't one switch off the routine that causes it? Another OpenGL program (Google Earth) runs without misplaced textures, so wouldn't it be possible remove this behaviour?
  • This corrupted texture problem I had was not with doomsday. it was with the fonts in ubuntu. I believe it was because of the driver (it's now fixed)
    don't know if it happened in windows cause I don't use windows.
  • Hi all,

I tried doomsday on a T43 which has an "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900" built into its northbridge. Textures are fine but the game is running too slow to be playable even in 640x480. I don't get it, because theoretically this should be a much faster machine (glxgears gives 1.5 times the frames!). Google Earth creeps slow as hell too, so I guess it's not deng's fault ...
  • Ppilihp wrote:
    I tried doomsday on a T43 which has an "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900" built into its northbridge.
    Fixed that for you:
    Ppilihp wrote:
    I tried doomsday on a T43 which has a "piece of shit >9000" built into its northbridge.

Ppilihp wrote:
    Textures are fine but the game is running too slow to be playable even in 640x480. I don't get it, because theoretically this should be a much faster machine. Google Earth creeps slow as hell too, so I guess it's not deng's fault ...
    Stop buying pieces of shit from Intel.

Ppilihp wrote:
    (glxgears gives 1.5 times the frames!)
    FPS measured from glxgears doesn't mean a damn thing in any real world application.

The point I'm trying to get across is that you should focus on getting/using a computer that has a video card provided by worthwhile companies and not wasting your time on bullshit.
  • Wow, deary me, you're actually recommending ATI cards to a Linux user? Or rather, any user? And when Doomsday has issues with ATI cards right now?
  • g6672D wrote:
    Wow, deary me, you're actually recommending ATI cards to a Linux user?
    You must live in the time before Christ, AKA pre-AMD acquisition.

g6672D wrote:
    Or rather, any user?
    Fanboy much? Good luck playing games well with an Intel chipset, and good luck finding an Nvidia card that can match ATI's performance at such a low price. PROTIP: you can't.

g6672D wrote:
    And when Doomsday has issues with ATI cards right now?
    OH NOES, A MINOR TEXTURE ISSUE IN NEWER MODELS AND MINOR GRAPHICAL ERRORS IN OLDER MODELS!1!!!11!ONE WTFOMGBBQ