Game on?

edited 2010 Nov 17 in General
Hey!
How long until the new Doomsday will out? I want to play some DM! :)

Comments

• Sadly multiplayer is going to be broken for a while yet as we are focusing on other parts of the engine. I would love to see multiplayer working again but there is only so many hours in the day.

I would like to get a new release out for Christmas but we'll see how things go.
  • Hey Dani, was the monthly release cycle abandoned for any particular reason or was it the usual lack of quality development time?
  • You guessed it - lack of time. It got to the point where we were jumping through hoops just to meet a self-imposed cycle and obviously, thats just silly. Furthermore, the work we had started just a few months later was so grand in scale that it couldn't be split into incremental releases. So we took the decision to abandon the release cycle until we are closer to a "stable" Doomsday 2.0
  • Good news for a better end product. Are you aiming for a pre-Christmas release of significance or some time in the New Year? Just planning stuff to do during my break. :)
  • Yes, I'm hoping we can get it out before Christmas Day.

Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6.10 will be an important release. It represents a milestone on the road to 2.0 as it will be the first version of the engine which does not require a game plugin to be useful and which supports run-time game selection (e.g., changing from DOOM to Hexen without needing to restart Doomsday. This won't obsolete Snowberry just yet however, there is still much to be done on that front).

We have also seen numerous, significant improvements to the engine core and public APIs which address some of the long-standing mod compatibility issues and usability improvements.

Some of this stuff has already been added to the Beta6.10 changelog although the keen-eyed will notice it hasn't been updated in six months (all changes made since have yet to be finalised/documented).
  • Greetings! I'm soo waiting for working multiplayer client of DOOM! I've tryed to play it so many times, but always there was some little problems or bugs. We managed to play Doom2 through as 2 player coop. But death match with more that 2 players didn't work, as I recall. Multiplay game is most important feature of this engine, and I would love to see it working. Hope things would be better in 10th beta release, so we would have something to do while christmas <:-P