Tea Monster's Cacodemon Model

edited 2011 Feb 17 in Addons for DOOM
Hey, I've been working on this for a while. I've finally got to the point of making a release.
zrb4j.jpg

EDIT: UPDATED PACKAGE - Fixes animation issues and size clipping issues.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/53xeh4gf8 ... 01114b.zip

Many thanks to Psychikon and Kuri Kai for help with the ded files and repackaging the MD2s into a deng-freindly format.

I will be releasing the source files over at the modeling project. I'll post a link up when that is done.
Initially, the model was supposed to be for Doom 3. There will be a high-res version available if anyone wants to bake some normal or spec maps off.

EDIT: Psychikon has updated the ded file and I am going to update the size soon. If anyone else notices anything, just let me know. I'll bring out a 'new' package with these changes in a few days.

The sources are up at the Doom Modelling Project for anyone who wants to get it into another source port. I've also included the high-res sculpt obj's in case anyone wants to do normal maps for him.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dmp/files/

Comments

• I'm surprised nobody has commented on this yet. you've done a great job on this model, Teamonster! I'm glad to see you doing work in this community. Your work for Duke3d was great. The doomsday community is kind of a sad state of affairs right now, unfortunately. No stable releases in a long time + nobody making any art = low activity. However, maybe if people like you step up to the plate and start making good releases like this consistently, the community will pick back up!
  • just tested it and it look good but there is some choppy animations. there is only 2 but dose not affect game play and they are when they open wide to shoot and when they die but i have confidence that those issues will be resolved and we will have some thing awesome, well more awesome then it already is.
  • I think it's great to see this model finally in game. great work tea monster.
  • Excellent work!

Do you have any more models in the pipeline at all?
  • Thanks for the comments. It's good to see people enjoying him (her?).

I've got no models in the pipeline for Doom at the minute, but I would like to do one or two here and there eventually.

I've released a new package (updated on the first post).
  • The new version doesn't seem to work! There aren't any error messages or anything, but it simply doesn't appear in the game. I'm seeing the original sprite.
  • I am amazed. That is looking really nice!
  • Has anyone else had any problems? I tested it before I uploaded it.
  • i have and it's because you packaged it with the folder it was in.

EDIT: now the only problem is the death animation witch i think there is one i am just not seeing it.
  • Doh on the folder. Sorry. I'll repackage it and send it up.
  • I can see the death animation, but it's invisible alive.
  • well for me i can see it then when i kill it i just goes from alive to the end of what is meant to be the death animation.
  • I found out what the problem was. I am puzzled as it shouldn't have worked on my system, even though it did. I had my older test versions in the Jdoom folder and it seemed to pick up what it needed from them, even though they weren't activated in snowberry. Very strange.

This should fix it though. Sorry for the problems.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/53xeh4gf8 ... 01114b.zip
  • thats fine if i had not said something some one else might have or nothing would have been said at all and we want awesome that works and hope to see more of it in the future.

Edit: i found another problem and that is when raising it should do the death animation in revers i think but for a couple of frames it switches back to the sprite. besides that nothing else has changes from the problem i was having earlier.
  • I have not tried it yet. I hope there are damage stages. Otherwise, it can't be considered a true replacement to the existing model.
  • gary wrote:
    I have not tried it yet. I hope there are damage stages. Otherwise, it can't be considered a true replacement to the existing model.
    There are!
  • It looks good in the screenshots. I remember seeing it a couple years ago under construction and posted on newdoom. I hope all models can get upgraded like this in the next year or two. Keep up the good work.

I did download this when it first came out, but I read about the bugs in the model in this thread yesterday. I hope it works fine.
  • If you clean out your jdoom folder of any old versions, it should run fine. I tested it and Psychikon tested it and it should be working fine.
  • It looks good and the other models do too when using the JDRP fix.
  • Thank Tea Monster for making this wonderful and beautiful model. It enhances the jDoom experience greatly. It has the sophistication and detail one would expect of any modern 1st person shooter, yet retains that original Doom feel.

I hope you make more Doomsday models, it would be a delight to have a bestiary full of such high quality monsters in jDoom. I'd love to see an Imp made by you.

Best regards,

Magnum
  • Thank you very much!

I do plan on making another one. I was talking to Kuri Kai about it and he suggested the Spider Mastermind. I was thinking of either the Imp or the Pinky demon as I could do some sculpting and get it pretty high-res. The engine currently dosen't support that, but if the high-res files are there it could be developed later when you get normal maps and so forth.
  • Oh wow... The Spider Mastermind would be amazing.

Have you seen the model that ID made to produce the original sprites?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Spide ... _model.jpg

If anyone could do the Mastermind justice, it would be you.

The Imp would be nice too though -- especially since they're so prevalent.
  • Well, we need a lot more activity for things to get done. So interest would need to increase and not decrease. But it seems that interest has been decreased for doom for about a year now. Even the newdoom forum has less activity when I checked it about a month or two ago.
  • If I were to do the Spider Mastermind, would a slight update be in order? The body box looks like a combo of an air conditioner and a lunar module. I wouldn't do a complete Doom 3 version (although it's awesome, some people have already made it). But I was thinking of updating some of the box design and the joints on the legs.
  • I think slight updates are just fine, personally. I doubt many other people would mind -- considering that the purists usually don't want to play with models anyways.

If you did do the Mastermind, I suppose you'd be able to pull off an Arachnatron with a bit of adjusting, since they're pretty similiar.

An Imp would be my own first choice (as much as I'd drool over a Tea Monster Spider Mastermind) -- since they're everywhere in the game, so it'd be a significant upgrade. But I'll do a happy jig over any anything you do for jDoom. >:)
  • I would like to see all the models get seriously upgraded someday soon. They have been updated with clearer textures with the recent compilation pack, but I don't think all of them have been refined and the insides of the monster models look like they have been untouched. If all of them could get the quality upgrade of the Tea Monster's cacodemon, that would actually count as a successor to the current resource pack.
  • There are several models out there. There is NiuHaka, and someone did an imp model a while back.

http://www.garagegames.com/community/fo ... read/82087
  • That imp isn't done, so that doesn't count. The thread just abruptly ends and that was back in 2009 since the last post. I don't recall any other model that has been released with blood or damage stages besides your cacodemon. The trooper that I used long ago didn't have any effects and didn't count.
  • Thanks for the heads up Tea Monster. I was completely unaware of NiuHaka's work. Wonderful stuff. I love his Zombieman (although I picture myself colouring the hair green myself once it's finished and available) :) .
  • I'm happy to see that Imp thread all of a sudden became active after I pointed out that it stopped in 09. There is hope for the Imp model yet. Very good... The Arch Vile needs the most work out of all monsters though.