Super Shotgun in doom1

edited 2009 Sep 19 in Addons for DOOM
Hello everybody!

I am feeling a little bit nostalgic lately, and I want to remember the classic doom1 episodes.

But i dont have more the time i had when i was a kid(i

Comments

• the SSG is doom2 only you would have to make it your self if you wanted it in doom and i do not know how to start.
  • Hi gordon.

I know that this request was accomplished in the past. But all the links i could find were broken.

In zdoom, there is a curious solution to that, you load the doom.wad in the game doom2, and once there you warp to the map e1m1, with the code of the "doom2" game.

I wish i could program this task by myself, but i dont know nothing about programming.

I dont like mechanics, i just like to drive the car!

I have faith that somebody will gently come with a solution.

att.

Tiamate
  • Well if Doom2 was loaded as the iwad and Doom1 was loaded as a pwad, you will still only have the rifle when you warp to the Doom1 maps, as there wouldn't be any SSG "thing items" in any of the Doom1 maps.
    Not to say it couldn't be done in ACS, but without some sort of script hack or even dehacked with required resources I couldn't see it possible unless the guy modified doom1 levels replacing the doom1 rifle with a doom2 ssg. - which would explain the missing links heh.
  • You are thinking to complicated. To have the Supershotgun available in DOOM is not possible because there is no code/program logic in DOOM supporting it and no free weapon slot either. But you can play the DOOM maps in DOOM2 using a conversion tool or a WAD Editor, e.g. like the awesome Doom Builder.

However you should expect visual flaws like wrong or misaligned textures at least. Note that the converted Maps won't offer the Supershotgun by default. You will either have to modify the converted Maps yourself or simply use a cheatcode (idkfa)or console command (give w8)to acquire it.
  • Mr.Rocket wrote:
    Well if Doom2 was loaded as the iwad and Doom1 was loaded as a pwad, you will still only have the rifle when you warp to the Doom1 maps, as there wouldn't be any SSG "thing items" in any of the Doom1 maps.

So you want someone to not only create a weapon mod for Doom1, but to remake every single map? :shock:
    Mr.Rocket wrote:
    Not to say it couldn't be done in ACS, but without some sort of script hack or even dehacked with required resources I couldn't see it possible unless the guy modified doom1 levels replacing the doom1 rifle with a doom2 ssg. - which would explain the missing links heh.

I thought dehacked is inferior to DED. But yeah, I think that's the idea. To avoid making an illegal mod, the trick would be to directly reference the DOOM2 IWAD in the DOOM1 game i guess...
    deus-ex wrote:
    To have the Supershotgun available in DOOM is not possible because there is no code/program logic in DOOM supporting it and no free weapon slot either.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the program/code logic in this case - Doomsday - is more than capable of doing this. Doom and Doom 2 share the same engine code in Doomsday don't they? Besides, i've seen plenty of mods for other Doom ports that have multiple weapons on several number keys (that SWAT or Special Forces one whatever it was for Legacy comes to mind)
  • Play the first few levels of Doom I and II back to back on the same difficulty and you'll realize why you aren't meant to have the super shotgun in Doom I.
  • MPD Psycho wrote:
    Play the first few levels of Doom I and II back to back on the same difficulty and you'll realize why you aren't meant to have the super shotgun in Doom I.

I agree. If one was to add the SShotgun to Doom Ultimate, you'd need to double the monster count on every map (or something like that).

I have actually thought about a first modification I could make, a difficulty mod of sorts, which combines Doom Ultimate and Doom 2 (similar to what the PSX version does - Doom 2 stuff in Doom 1 levels) as one huge game, with lots more monsters, and also new weapon(s) such as a Super Chaingun (High-velocity mini gun with double the firing rate). It'd be fun. But yeah, merely chucking in the SShotgun into Doom1 wouldnt make much a difference. And as you're no doubt aware, even plaing Doom2 on Ultra Violence, you still do actually use the non-super Shotgun a lot of the time as it has better range and reload time. I actually prefer the Shotgun to the SShotgun, I have the single barrel one bound to my Mouse's thumb button ;)