Neural Upscale Textures for Doom White edge

So I finally after some experimenting managed to get the Neural Upscale textures working in Doomsday, however, although they show up, they often produce a white edge around it:

9e315n814j5a.png
lkmgm7xh6xx4.png

It's not just the moving enemies either:

f7pjvfizdlwr.png

Nor is it just the enemies:

6dpu0if62a33.png

Weirdly however, the Hexen Neural upscale uploaded right here on this Doomsday forum does not suffer the same problem:

wajgmalq5pil.png
zw3slt506mlu.png
7p4dnm0wiv43.png

So I don't know whether Doom's Neural upscale are just not good (which begs the question why no one mentioned this using gzdoom), or there is something else going on with Doomsday itself.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

(Also, I had to go to the manual to refresh my memory on how to make screenshots, and stumbled upon "renderer" settings, the screen shot shows both "renderer" and "3D and VR"; neither of those options show up in my 2.2 990 build of Doomsday and I don't remember seeing them, not for a long time at least. Are they just not present in the current builds or is something going wrong?)

Comments

• edited 2019 Mar 15
    3DMaster wrote: »
    (Also, I had to go to the manual to refresh my memory on how to make screenshots, and stumbled upon "renderer" settings, the screen shot shows both "renderer" and "3D and VR"; neither of those options show up in my 2.2 990 build of Doomsday and I don't remember seeing them, not for a long time at least. Are they just not present in the current builds or is something going wrong?)

1. Start up any game
    2. Press [Shft+ESC] to open Doomsdays taskbar
    3. Click on the gear icon
    4. Click the first or second menu entry
    5. Magic... ;)

iBkGJbP.jpg
  • 3DMaster wrote: »
    they often produce a white edge around it:
    To me this looks like an alpha masking problem with your images. I'm not familiar with how the images are processed, but it seems there might be an incorrect assumption that transparent pixels have a white or some other bright color.

It might help to preprocess the input images so that transparent pixels have the same RGB color as their opaque neighbors. The alpha channel itself should not be modified.
  • edited 2019 Mar 16
    Well, they're not "my" images, I just download the Doom neural upscale project 0.95 that was mentioned a few months back in an article, someone also mentioned in a forum post here, and I just went to the project forum topic on Doomworld, downloaded it, and gave it a directory structure that Doomsday accepts.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/99021-v-0-95-doom-neural-upscale-2x/
  • I'm trying to get this one working for Doomsday Engine too.

It works in GZDoom, but in DEngine, a number of elements have cyan or gray/white outlines. Other elements do not have the problem (e.g. the player bodies in the first room).

I've examined the images using GIMP, and the problem images have all been created using a single background color (e.g. cyan). Those that do not have the problem have multi-colored backgrounds that match the color of pixels at the edge of the image.

The solution is to first remove the alpha channel from the images, then select the background by color, fill it with colors matching the colors of pixels at the edge of the image at various points, re-add an alpha channel, then clear the selection so that it becomes transparent.

I've tested it on a few images and it works. It would seem that GZDoom and DEngine handle transparent images with a single background color differently.

qfpqu78m9bvh.jpg

• Did you ever get the white edges issue sorted? And is there any way you could share how you converted the Neural Upscale pack to DEngine? I really would like to use it in Doomsday :3 and learn how the pk3 folder structure works for it.