Any example to use Detail Textures with Definition

edited 2009 Dec 7 in General
I tried to import HI RES Texture from the oldest doomsday engine to new version, but I have problem...
I saw detail definition instruction, but I not has fully understood this.
# Lump name of the detail texture (e.g. "DTLROUGH"). This must
# be a 64x64, 128x128 or 256x256 raw image with one color
# component (a black and white image). This means the size of
# the lump can be either 4096, 16384 or 65536 bytes
What for to me it? And where I need to put this raw image?
File = "" eg: File = "Data/DetailTextures/texture.pcx"
# As of Doomsday 1.8.5 the detail texture can be loaded from
# an external resource. The file path is relative to your
# Doomsday root folder.
It is really necessary, when I use the standard directory (data\<game>\textures and data\<game>\flats).
Flags = flaga | flagb | flagc etc...
# NEW in 1.9.0-beta6
# noiwad: Don't use this detail texture if the resource is loaded from an IWAD.
# pwad: This detail texture can be used with PWAD resources (for example custom textures).
# ext: This detail texture can be used with external resources.
If I not use this, texture can be loaded from the external resources?

And who can show use example of this definition?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, I from other country.
P.S.S. I can not download a new HI RES texture pack because of my "greedy" provider.

Comments

• This is a kind of working one that I made, although it only works inside the DHTP PK3 for some reason.
    But I guess that it'll work for you. :/
    Detail {
     Flat = "FLOOR4_8" --Change this one to the flat you want it applied to. (Delete those --&#91;message&#93; things.)
     Lump = "floor_4_8" --What the RAW file of the detail texture is. (I don't know what else to say.)
     File = "detail/pcx/floor_4_8.pcx" --Explain to it where the PCX version of the detail texture is.
     Flags = noiwad | ext --Some flags..
     Scale = 2 --If the texture is downsized by half it's size, then I have the "detail texture size" on 1 (As is the reason for a 2 here)
     Strength = 1 --How deep the texture is. (1 * Detail texture contrast)
     Distance = 0.0 --Best leave it at 0
    }

Detail {
     Flat = "FLOOR5_2" --Just another one.
     Lump = "floor_5_2"
     File = "detail/pcx/floor_5_2.pcx"
     Flags = noiwad | ext
     Scale = 2
     Strength = 1
     Distance = 0.0
    }

That is, inside a PK3 with two real folders, data and my 'detail' folder.
    Cheers..
  • Thanks, but why you use noiwad flag when it means:
    # noiwad: Don't use this detail texture if the resource is loaded from an IWAD.

I have tried many ways: I put *.LMP file to "......\data\<game>\AUTO" folder and used this LMP - Does not work. Tried a another path of picture (detail/png/<mypicture>) - Does not work. Certainly, I used Definition file...

Also I set rend-tex-external-always to 1 - nothing change.

And sometimes my game freezes without any error message, when I try to use HI RES textures with Definition. In the log file I has found there:
    GL_GetReservedName: Sleeping until new names available.

And repeats many times in the log.
    it only works inside the DHTP PK3 for some reason.
    I can't understand, what for so-called "External resource"?
  • It has amazed me. I put pictures (textures and flats) in the root of doomsday directory and it works without any definition!

But why Definition don't work? Also I tried to start doomsday manually with addition parameters, as -texdir data\jdoom\textures and -texdir2 data\jdoom\flats - do not give any effect. Textures\Flats loaded from the root of doomsday directory in any cases. There is a bug of latest version?
  • Maybe you misunderstand the meaning of detail textures? It seems like you have them mixed with high resolution textures. A detail texture is a texture that is overlayed above another texture. A high resolution texture completely replaces the original texture.
  • It seems like you have them mixed with high resolution textures.
    You are absolutely right. Simply I could not understand, why they did not work, when I already put pictures to the necessary directory (data\<game>\textures and data\<game>\flats) with the name of the lump. I have long tried to find a solution to the problem... I tried many ways... And it was just a bug of the dooms day engine (or jdoom.dll plugin)... And thank you, JCA.

And someone has a similar problem in the latest version?