md2tool

JCAJCA
edited 2013 Jun 17 in Tools and Techniques
Here's some stuff I've noticed about it..

"-skinsize [width] [height]" seems buggy. My md2 exporter exports the model with skin size 256*256, so I thought I need to change it to have similar dimensions as my model's skins (2048*1024 and 1024*512). So I set it to 256*128. Ingame the texture was displayed very bad. Letting the skin size stay at 256*256 shows the texture allright ingame. So that was a bit weird. I expected things to be the otherway.

Using "-skin [num] [filename]" multiple times in the same execution of the program only used the first one. The rest of them were skipped.

My md2 exporter exports every frame with this kind of name:"FRAME 000......". I've noticed "-create [framelistfile]" does an empty model with frames and names based on a text file. What about changing the frame names of a model that already exists?

Comments

• JCA wrote:
    Here's some stuff I've noticed about it..

"-skinsize [width] [height]" seems buggy. My md2 exporter exports the model with skin size 256*256, so I thought I need to change it to have similar dimensions as my model's skins (2048*1024 and 1024*512). So I set it to 256*128. Ingame the texture was displayed very bad. Letting the skin size stay at 256*256 shows the texture allright ingame. So that was a bit weird. I expected things to be the otherway.

As far as I've noticed, it will keep the texture coordinates in the md2 exactly the same, yet it will just change the size of the actual skinfile, and makes no compensation for resizing. I had tried to change the exported base 256*256 to 32*128 or something like that to be right for the spine model I had done, but I noticed that what happened was that it acted like this: the skin that it was changed to was repeated across the properly-mapped vertices to where it was shown twice vertically and 8 times horizontally, to the effect that the UV coordinates size was still 256*256, but it TILED the skin properly, as the actual skinsize was set to the proper dimensions.

I'd figured out how to export it better since then, just that it will have to be exported at the proper size at the start, or with a program that compensates for the stretching or whatever.
  • I have a few questions about md2tool. As I know the tool can generate a LOD geometry for models and save result as *.DMD
    My question is, may I manually define the LODs for the models as automatic generation sometimes have undesirable results? Say I have a three md2 files with 512, 256 and 128 faces. The first is model itself, and the other two are opimised versions for LODs. And I want to "bake" them into single .dmd
    The other question is about LOD factor. How can I control the distance, where the models are switched to LODs?
  • The limitation with the LOD system as implemented in the .DMD format is that all vertexes for all levels are determined from those of level zero. When producing lower detailed versions the same vertexes are used. In other words, there can't be "new" vertexes at lower levels. Which is also the reason why separate meshes can't be defined for different LOD levels.

The model LOD factor is presently an entirely engine side concern. This is determined in-game according to the user's config and is not directly controllable by the mod author.