How Can I Activate 3D models?

edited 2016 Aug 12 in General
I downloaded this engine to try to play with the 3D models, even downloaded Doom but I can't seem to install it properly. It always uses the 2.5d sprites. The tutorials I've googled seemed completely outdated, too. Is there any proper tutorial?

Comments

• At the moment there is no updated tutorial — the unstable builds are still changing so a tutorial would quickly become obsolete.

Which version of Doomsday are you using, and what is the name of the 3D model pack you're trying to load?
  • Well, I downloaded both of them today (Doomsday 1.15.8, jDoom Resource Pack 1.01) from this site, but I did manage to get the 3D models running. Although now I can't see the weapon I'm holding.
  • Hi. First thanks for your excellent work in the Doomsday Engine. It is evident you have work for years to keep this project alive. I was looking information about how specifically load 3d models for Doom using the DE2 (I'm using #2047). I was able to run all the .pk3 addons posted in the download section, except the DOOM Resource Pack (jDRP) 1.01, which is in .box version. If I unzip the file, and I try to load individually, DE2 crashes and the frontend is unable to pick the box folder as a whole, as different to the behave in version 1.15.

You may say just use 1.15 instead. However, I'm on a Mac, and DE2 #2047 runs incredibly in my rig (and the new front end is sleek) while 1.15 runs choppy. I'm not a programmer, and I have no idea how convert .box version to .pk3 properly, so all models should load automatically.

Thank you
  • aleksa6 wrote:
    Well, I downloaded both of them today (Doomsday 1.15.8, jDoom Resource Pack 1.01) from this site, but I did manage to get the 3D models running. Although now I can't see the weapon I'm holding.
    Perhaps you are using a 16:9 display mode and have this (known) problem: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=848&p=5215

To elaborate a little, the old models have an issue where they may be positioned too low and thus not be visible. Try changing the value of "rend-hud-fov-shift" to 0, for example. The default value for this variable is 45.
  • Nekki wrote:
    I was looking information about how specifically load 3d models for Doom using the DE2 (I'm using #2047). I was able to run all the .pk3 addons posted in the download section, except the DOOM Resource Pack (jDRP) 1.01, which is in .box version. If I unzip the file, and I try to load individually, DE2 crashes and the frontend is unable to pick the box folder as a whole, as different to the behave in version 1.15.
    The correct way to load jdrp-packaged-20070404.zip is to first unzip the contained jdrp.box folder in a place where Doomsday looks for add-ons. It should then be detected as "jDoom Resource Pack (jDRP)" with ID "file.box.jdrp", and that can be selected in games as a package to load.

I'll do a few test runs and see if I can reproduce any crashes when loading PK3s and/or boxes. There may well be still some bugs there... :)
  • skyjake wrote:
    The correct way to load jdrp-packaged-20070404.zip is to first unzip the contained jdrp.box folder in a place where Doomsday looks for add-ons. It should then be detected as "jDoom Resource Pack (jDRP)" with ID "file.box.jdrp", and that can be selected in games as a package to load.

I run some tests and this is what I have. I unzipped the folder jdrp.box into folder addons, and also where I have my wads files, and in none of them DE2 #2047 recognize the folder/addon. Only when I unzipped jdrp.box into the folder runtime located in Users/[MyName]/library/Application Support/Doomsday Engine/runtime the engine pick the addon and run the doom game with 3d models. Just in case, it also displays the ID "file.box.jdrp" as a package, so all 3d models all selected at the same time :)

Thank you for look into this. Keep this engine alive!
  • It seems my resolution + FOV was the problem. Thanks!