I'm unable to install a stable Doomsday

edited 2016 Jun 26 in Technical Support
Hi. I'm using Doomsday Engine 1.15.0 on a late 2009 Mac Mini (2.26GHZ Intel w/8GB RAM & 1TB Hybrid HD) running Mavericks in a multiuser environment though I'm the only user (I know, I'm sorry!). I migrated my doomsday game files (Wads & Mods but not the app itself) from Snow Leopard. Now I'm having troubles getting the thing to work.

Launching Doomsday Engine 1.15 presents the old Snowberry 1.6 screen, which isn't supposed to be there. launching that gets me a crash screen with 'Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000200000021'.

I can't find the Snowberry launcher program file anywhere, but when I click on the crash screen's 'Relaunch Button' then, and only then, do I get new (greyish) launch screen. Games will load but no addons of any sort will load. No crash report is generated at '~/Library/Application Support/Doomsday Engine/runtime'.

I suspect there are some program files that got inadvertently migrated and that's the problem. But I can't find them anywhere, so can't delete them.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Comments

• I'm a Mac user myself, so hopefully I can help. :)
    HiloJoe wrote:
    I migrated my doomsday game files (Wads & Mods but not the app itself) from Snow Leopard.
    Could you elaborate a bit, please? How exactly did you migrate the game files, and which files/folders did you migrate?
    HiloJoe wrote:
    Launching Doomsday Engine 1.15 presents the old Snowberry 1.6 screen, which isn't supposed to be there.
    Snowberry is still part of the 1.15 release. This is not what you were expecting?
  • Could you elaborate a bit, please? How exactly did you migrate the game files, and which files/folders did you migrate?

I've copied folders containing game data files into a folder in Documents called 'OldDoomStuffage' that has the following folders in it::

Cain X
    Cheqx
    Doom
    hacx
    Heretic
    Hexen
    JohnXfluids
    Sounds & Music
    Wads

The game named files have zips, ded's and pk3's pertaining to that particular game and such (not the wads). The music has the music files and JohnX is sort of a legacy folder for water effects. I make new links to these directories, but for some reason, Snowberry retains links to the old locations of the files. I've deleted those old links in Snowberry (they no longer exist on my hard drive) only to have the links return, even if I uninstall and reinstall the program. So I guess what I need to figure out is how the old links are persisting in Snowberry, so as to remove them and create new links going to the proper locations. Is there some hidden/not hidden file/list somewhere on my hard drive or within the Snowberry package file itself that I could delete?
    Snowberry is still part of the 1.15 release. This is not what you were expecting?

Sorry, my bad! I confused the 2.0 engine with the older 1.15 one.

I need to add that I've delayed answering this post as I upgraded to El Capitan. I still have the same situation presenting itself, even with the upgrade, tho..

Thanks!
  • Also, I neglected to mention that the wad files are in the wads directory, as noted above.
  • Ok it seems to be working now. I purged all the existing add-ons and got a basic Doomsday up and working. No hi-res stuff at first but am adding that in, one at a time. It seems I've a lot of older mods that now crash the system, even though it looked like they weren't being called. I suspect some of them ran afoul of El Capitan as I actually crashed the Mac a couple times (maybe calls to graphic or audio stuff that doesn't exist anymore).

If I can figure out exactly what it was I'll let you know.