No game will launch [LinkerError]?

edited 2016 Feb 15 in Technical Support
I have just started to try Doomsday in Windows 7 on the same computer I have been running it in XP. I downloaded version 1.15.8.
I have almost all the wads. But whenever I start on 'play' on all the ones I have, I get a box with this message:
[LinkerError] (GLProgram::link) Linking failed:
Fragment shader(s) failed to link, vertex shader(s) failed to link.
Vertex Shader not supported by HWFragment Shader not supported by HW.

If it means my HW can't run this, then which version of OpenGL is this meant for? The requirements on the Wiki page says 'at least OpenGl 1.4'. Using OpenGl Extensions it tells me I have OpenGL version 2.1, it also says I have DirectX 9.0c which seems odd, because in Windows 7 it says somewhere I have DirectX 11. If the graphics card driver supplies OpenGL 2.1, then how can't my card use OpenGL 2.1?
I have ATI X1600 mobility. It says Driver version: 8.593.100.0 Catalyst 8.593.100 10-Feb-10. I won't be updating the graphics drivers anymore. Computer is 32 bit with 2gb RAM running Windows 7.
There is also no where I can see to alter shader options, to switch them off or anything.

If so, from which version did the Doomsday engine use OpenGL later than 2.1?

I tried adding doomsday.out, using 'code', but it was too long to be accepted.

Update:
I tried the different versions, the last version that worked was 1.12.2. What changed after that?
Where did Video go under Options? I prefer to tweak the video controls to improve performance.